• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

R75/5 main frame

S

stucknarut

Shopping for a new frame for my LWB R75/5. Was there any difference in the main frame on the SWB and LWB /5? Is there any way to transfer the numbers from one to the other to match the title on the first?

Main frame part numbers are the same...the only change was the extension of the swingarm.

Are there VINs stamped into the frame? If so, then there's no way to remedy that. If the only place is the tag on the steering head, then you could probably transfer it. Not sure if your DMV will be looking for something like that.

Main frame part numbers are the same...the only change was the extension of the swingarm.

The sub-frame is longer too. That's why my '73 LWB has the tubular spacers (between the cross tube (under the battery)) and the front of the rear fender.

The sub-frame is longer too.

Well, naturally! :thumb Once the swingarm is longer, that requires everything else to grow a bit, too!!

Lew, what about the frame markings with the VIN...can he just swap frames and the ID plate, or is there more than that?

Thanks guys. Sub frame and swingarm are ok, it was a front end collision. I suppose if I wanted to badly enough, I could have a good machine shop switch the necks or just the right side brace with VIN.

As a last resort, anyone know of a way to straighten the frame?

Check the frame section in the Resources and Links thread for the Frameman. When people suggest frame straightening, his name usually comes up.

what about the frame markings with the VIN...can he just swap frames and the ID plate, or is there more than that?

Don't know that Kurt. California seems to be a ball of twine when it comes to the DMV. I took my bike in and the inspector was suspicious because the frame number matched the engine number. It took him the better part of an hour to determine that it was legitimate... The VIN plate on my /5 has been off for years; I have it in my tool tray. I showed it to him, and the stamped numbers in the neck gusset, but he was still skeptical.

With CA's "constructed vehicle" regulations I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to register a new frame, if you had a proper bill of sale. I just sold an old /6 frame that I had previously purchased for a sidecar tug project that didn't materialize. $150, with the swing arm, and pivot pins.

That's what I thought...he's going to end up with at least one number not matching. There's the number stamped in the frame which won't match the engine number. I think most states are going to require some kind of forms and/or extra costs to register that kind of bike. It's like a salvage title or something... But, you're right, each state is going to be different.

Back