• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2009 BMW MOA Rally?

Now I won't feel any guilt whatsoever missing the national rally and riding to Alaska in 2009.

But it means I will probably be able to make the 2009 Rally and sit out the 2010 Rally. I can generally make the southeast and eastern midwest MOA and RA rallies. In recent years, far more of the RA rallies have been near me with only the Charleston and Lima MOA rallies near enough for me to attend. Riding through hot flat deserts in July to get to a western rally is not possible at my age with my physical condition.

2011 Rally

We can start working on it right now.
Just let me know.
I'll see you in Gillette and in Guadalajara.
And if you know about Tobal?í Mezcal....
God .. .!!!! you're my kind of friend !!!

I'll bring some !!!

best regards.

Here is a link to the information the committee uses for Site Selection.

This has been a topic of much discussion. Contact the committee directly with your specific concerns.

Thanks. I did read the Site Selection data form and noted that hotel availability is not a priority consideration. I wish that it were. This year, I started looking for a room in January and found that all to desirable rooms had already been taken, the best by MOA officials and staff! I wound up reserving a room 60+ miles away in Buffalo.

While lots of MOA Members enjoy camping, not all do. Personally I camped enough as a kid! Surely it wouldn't hurt to elevate the importance of hotel availability???

Hotel rooms within 5 miles: ____ 20 miles: ____ 30 miles: ____

The tool does consider hotel rooms in the mix of listed considerations. The critera in red are minimum needs for a site to meet the needs of stagging the rally. It does not list a specific requirement for the moving target of rooms but takes it as a criteria and a means of comparing sites.

While lots of MOA Members enjoy camping, not all do. Personally I camped enough as a kid! Surely it wouldn't hurt to elevate the importance of hotel availability???

well, fwiw, if a proposed site does *not* meet the hotel room availability requirement, it is usually out of the running. i don't know how much higher a priority you can put on it than that.

ian
RSST member

Reading between the line in Gail's post, I would venture SE near a major metro area.

well, fwiw, if a proposed site does *not* meet the hotel room availability requirement, it is usually out of the running. i don't know how much higher a priority you can put on it than that.

ian
RSST member

Someone indicated that there would be ample rooms in 2009, for which I am grateful. On the other hand it appears that I may have struck a nerve based on some of the "justifications" for the lack of emphasis on facilities for folks who do not want to camp, for whatever reason.

No info release on exact location yet?:lurk -Bob

I asked at the last board meeting as Wisconsin was announced at that meeting the prior year and I was expecting 09's site to be announced this year.

The answer, contracts not all in place. Will not be announced till Gillette. Having said that, everything is subject to change.

Thats just like it was in the "good old days".
The boards family and friends first, then the big clubs.
The rest of us wait. :stick

I asked at the last board meeting as Wisconsin was announced at that meeting the prior year and I was expecting 09's site to be announced this year.

The answer, contracts not all in place. Will not be announced till Gillette. Having said that, everything is subject to change.

The irony is that the policy was changed a number of years ago when the necessary contracts were signed, necessary being the site and the staff / volunteer / VIP hotel.

When this policy was dicussed these contracts had been historically signed well before 12 months out.

It is a coincidence that ever since none of these contracts has been signed early enough to move the announcement up from when it had always been. :stick

Personally I feel that knowing what region next year's rally is going to be in is plenty. I know it will be in the S.E. USA and for me that is plenty.

Other than trying to book stuff now (which most hotels won't take this far out anyway) what is the need to know the specific site for 09 before the 08 event?

Thats just like it was in the "good old days".
The boards family and friends first, then the big clubs.
The rest of us wait.

I was one of the people in the grandstands in those days too. And I can tell you that there was nothing quite like the build-up of waiting until Saturday night to learn where the NEXT year's rally was going to be. It made it more exciting. (Like Christmas morning.)

Who else do you know that lets their club tell them where they are going on vacation next year?

:D

I think the first time we saw this change was 1998 in Missoula. Michael Friedle (chairman for the following year's rally) put up all of the information for the 1999 rally in the vendor building so we found out before the closing ceremony that '99 was going to be in Rhinebeck.

(And it DID make sense, to put out the information for the rally attendees.)

T
Other than trying to book stuff now (which most hotels won't take this far out anyway) what is the need to know the specific site for 09 before the 08 event?

Point well taken. As my faculty buddy in Clinical Psychology once said to me...."Bob, it appears that you have an inability to delay gratification" (BTW... some very complex psychological profiles confirmed his observation) While this may sound like a contradiction, I also see merit in Sue's observation regarding excitement "like Christmas". I wasn't good at that either though:p -Bob

Back