• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1200GSW: Arm for Windshield Adjuster--Broken--Bolt Question w/ Circlip

pjrider

I cracked/broke the right arm that holds the windshield on my 2014 GSW. It seems to be in a location where some good glue/epoxy could fix it well enough but it doesn't seem to be holding well. This arm gets a good degree of vibration as well as the pressure from the wind so I can see why my glue jobs won't hold.

So, just looked at replacing the arm. Screenshot 2014-01-19 at 12.02.56 PM.jpg

It's part 10 according to Max BMW's microfiche where I'll buy the part if I do it myself.

I noticed the other arm, the one that isn't broken, has some play in it. It's held by a bolt with one of those c-clips. How do you tighten these things? There's a bit of a gap that looks like could be tightened if this was a Torx screw or something but since it's a one of those flat head bolts it's just held on by the c-clip. Is there some magic to get that clip further down the bolt?

IMG_20140119_115216.jpg

Suggestions welcome on glues/expoxies that might work on this plastic.

Thanks,

PJ

The only way to tighten it up using the stock pin and clip would be to shim it tighter by using thin washers between the mount and the clip.

Wouldn't the right arm (your right side when sitting on the bike) be part number 7?

Ah, well, ordinarily I'd have all this angst since I'd be wondering whether it was from the rider's perspective or from the front of the bike. But, looking at it yesterday, both arms are cracked. I took a fall in some deep sand going no more than 10-15 MPH so the bike hardly noticed. But somehow the windshield arms both cracked so I've had to order both of them.

I did glue both of the broken ones with JB Weld's Plastic Weld and it's holding tight so I may be able to push the arm replacement off for a few weeks. Doesn't look hard but there's a lot that has to come off to get to them . . .

Back