• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 K1200RS Shift lever bolt size

skeive

Anyone happen to know what the bolt size is for the bolt that holds the shift lever on? The lever fell off on me last night while riding and while I found the lever I couldn't find the bolt.

This lever has been extended, so not sure if that changes the size of the bolt I need. Based on the one that connects the original lever to the extension I am guessing it is a 6mmx20mm cap allen bolt. I wouldn't think the bolt would take much force and I can tell it should be torqued from the service manual to 8 Newton Meters so I am guessing I don't need anything special bolt wise.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

I have 2003 K1200GT and could take a picture of it, should the GT and RS be similar shifter. Do you have a picture of your shifter?

My shifter has a 20mm Allen headed. See pictures to see if it helps you. I don't know the thread count. A common hardware stores, they only have two sized like Lowes and HomeDepo. But I would check there for a screw.

Attachments

• allen20mm.jpg
    allen20mm.jpg
    349.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Allenattached.jpg
    Allenattached.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 44
  • AllenHead%.jpg
    AllenHead%.jpg
    206.4 KB · Views: 45
  • AllenHead.jpg
    AllenHead.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 41
My shifter has a 20mm Allen headed. See pictures to see if it helps you. I don't know the thread count. A common hardware stores, they only have two sized like Lowes and HomeDepo. But I would check there for a screw.

Awesome! I actually have a bunch of metric bolts that I use for 3d printing and might have one that will fit, though not with the cap head. Will see if I can find one that fits, if so I can measure the thread count on it. Thanks!

06 Fillister-head screw M6X16-8.8-ZNS3 1 07119906392

Is the part on:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...41-BMW-K_1200_GT_01_0548,0558_&diagId=23_0288

Good luck.

John

Was able to find one by the part description ( M6X16-8.8-ZNS3 ) on Amazon. Will take that a bit to arrive so I will check the local BMW place (Engle Motors) to see if they have one available. Also seems like they use the same bolt a lot on their cars so the BMW car dealers might have. Anyway, thanks again for the assistance.

Was able to find one by the part description ( M6X16-8.8-ZNS3 ) on Amazon. Will take that a bit to arrive so I will check the local BMW place (Engle Motors) to see if they have one available. Also seems like they use the same bolt a lot on their cars so the BMW car dealers might have. Anyway, thanks again for the assistance.

You can always get a longer one - say 6x20 and cut it off to 16mm. The important thing to me is the Grade 8.8 specification.

Interesting that you have an add-on part to extend the reach on your shifter. The silver part is not on my bike but I could have used another inch for my feet.

You can always get a longer one - say 6x20 and cut it off to 16mm. The important thing to me is the Grade 8.8 specification.

Went by Engle's today and they found a different part number than the one posted here. And it was a M6x20mm rather than 16mm. Didn't have time to try and put it on tonight, but will reply back with which size ended up being right. Have an M6x16 coming in from Amazon, but won't be here for a week.

Interesting that you have an add-on part to extend the reach on your shifter. The silver part is not on my bike but I could have used another inch for my feet.

Yeah, think it was a kit that lowered both the shifter and the brake controls down a bit. I think my uncle is the one who added it to try and get a better angle for his knees. Works well for me.

I did ask at my BMW shop and they said the kit wasn't something BMW offered. So not sure who the manufacturer is on that.

Yeah, think it was a kit that lowered both the shifter and the brake controls down a bit. I think my uncle is the one who added it to try and get a better angle for his knees. Works well for me.

I did ask at my BMW shop and they said the kit wasn't something BMW offered. So not sure who the manufacturer is on that.

This also means the bolt length may not match the original one.

There used to be at least two manufacturers offering peg-lowering kits for the brick RS/GT bikes, but Verholen is the only one I know still offering such a kit:

http://pirateslair.net/VerPegLowKitRS.htm

And yes, the kits included an extension to lower the shift lever.

Best,
DG

Thanks, I will keep that in mind to add an extender. I missed the extender option when I was searching last Fall. At the moment, the original is working ok for me.

This also means the bolt length may not match the original one.

Last follow up. Looks like the one that Engle's found in the parts fiche was the right one. It was M6x20mm.

I checked to make sure it fits, and it snugged up nice and tight. I added some blue thread lock and torqued it, so hopefully I don't lose it again :thumb

Thanks a lot for the info everyone!

Back