• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'17 RT...GPS Does Not Turn On....

shropdog

I have a '17 RT with GPS prep pack. Bought a Nav V, charged battery, installed in OEM cradle, turned bike on and GPS does not automatically come on as stated it should in Garmin manual. I had same set up on '15 GS and worked fine, including all specific bike related details...no luck either with specific bike related details on this new unit on bike. When I manually turn on the unit, works fine, except the bike specific details. I am the first to admit I can really be a tech idiot but this really doesn't make sense. To me, it is if the GPS electrical pins on the back are not connecting with the mount pins. Oh yes, the Info button never does show the GPS screen when switching through various options on the Info switch gear. Yes, the GPS is fully snapped in place on the mount. HELP! Many thanks in advance!

Nav V doesn't synch to '17

Any chance the dealer has to "enable" that functionality with the GPS prep? I know a lot of systems need to be enabled but not familiar if this is the case with your '17 - seems odd it worked as it should on prior bikes but not when docked to your '17 unless there's a Bavarian Elf stuck somewhere in the GPS wiring harness........

I have a '17 RT with GPS prep pack. Bought a Nav V, charged battery, installed in OEM cradle, turned bike on and GPS does not automatically come on as stated it should in Garmin manual. I had same set up on '15 GS and worked fine, including all specific bike related details...no luck either with specific bike related details on this new unit on bike. When I manually turn on the unit, works fine, except the bike specific details. I am the first to admit I can really be a tech idiot but this really doesn't make sense. To me, it is if the GPS electrical pins on the back are not connecting with the mount pins. Oh yes, the Info button never does show the GPS screen when switching through various options on the Info switch gear. Yes, the GPS is fully snapped in place on the mount. HELP! Many thanks in advance!

yes, see the dealer. And, you will not get all the info the GS provides. BMW has chosen not to provide that facility. Very limited wonder wheel operations. Rather disappointing.

When I picked up my new 2015 GSA, the dealership had not plugged in the connector for the GPS prep mount (part of pre-delivery inspection).

When I picked up my new 2015 GSA, the dealership had not plugged in the connector for the GPS prep mount (part of pre-delivery inspection).

Any idea where the GPS connector plug is located? I called two dealers, both said the bike does not need to be enabled to run the GPS!?!? Both suggested I take an alcohol cleaning pad and clean the pins on the cradle and GPS, which I am going to do this evening. If not that, then the cradle appears to be the issue (both dealers reported they have had cradle failures). My closest dealer is 1.5 hours away and I would have to make a trip to have it diagnosed, they would order a cradle and make a second visit to have installed. So....I think I am going to call the dealer in Salt Lake and see if I can beg them to have a cradle in stock and then make an appointment when in SLC for the rally.

Any idea where the GPS connector plug is located? I called two dealers, both said the bike does not need to be enabled to run the GPS!?!? Both suggested I take an alcohol cleaning pad and clean the pins on the cradle and GPS, which I am going to do this evening. If not that, then the cradle appears to be the issue (both dealers reported they have had cradle failures). My closest dealer is 1.5 hours away and I would have to make a trip to have it diagnosed, they would order a cradle and make a second visit to have installed. So....I think I am going to call the dealer in Salt Lake and see if I can beg them to have a cradle in stock and then make an appointment when in SLC for the rally.

The following is a link from Real OEM showing the parts http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...-K52-BMW-R_1200_RT_0A03,_0A13_&diagId=77_0656 the lead doesn't look long, you should be able to find the connection without that much work.

Jay

How long did you give it to come on?

Even with a partial charge, the Nav V on my wethead GS sometimes takes 5 minutes or so to light up.

Harry

Even with a partial charge, the Nav V on my wethead GS sometimes takes 5 minutes or so to light up.

Harry

That is not normal. My Nav V starts up almost immediately upon powering on the bike.

As far as the GPS connector goes, just follow the wire from the cradle back until you get to a connector!

yes, see the dealer. And, you will not get all the info the GS provides. BMW has chosen not to provide that facility. Very limited wonder wheel operations. Rather disappointing.
What information or functionality do you think is missing? I think lean angle got removed in a firmware update some time back, possibly because "some" people were getting in over their heads trying for max lean. I'm satisfied with what the GS wonder wheel does. I do have to physically touch the unit to select a route, and look for POIs, but I should be stopped for that anyway. Emphasis on "should" :nono The only thing I'd like the wonderwheel to do is get upcoming turn-by-turn directions which I don't need to do often.

Harry

My unit has taken to coming on bright, then going very dim, then coming up to whatever it decides Auto Brightness should be. It used to come up at the "right" brightness as soon as I turned the key.

What information or functionality do you think is missing? I think lean angle got removed in a firmware update some time back, possibly because "some" people were getting in over their heads trying for max lean. I'm satisfied with what the GS wonder wheel does. I do have to physically touch the unit to select a route, and look for POIs, but I should be stopped for that anyway. Emphasis on "should" :nono The only thing I'd like the wonderwheel to do is get upcoming turn-by-turn directions which I don't need to do often.

Forgot the name of the application that gives a nice page full of GS info like brake applications and much more. That app is missing entirely from the RT implementation. I believe there are things you can do on that page or elsewhere on a GS using the wonder wheel that are simply missing on the RT implementation. Don't have a reference doc to share, but there have been posts about this.

Harry

Something is wrong with your GPS or cradle.
Both of our Nav V units power up within seconds of turning on our wethead bikes.

Will other Garmins work in the cradle on 2017 R bikes?

Yes, the Zumo 660 and Zumo 665 will for sure, but you will not get wonderwheel integration or the additional BMW screens (like my motorcycle). I had a Zumo 665 on my 2017 GS before I bought a used Nav V.

My GPS works fine off the bike but does not come on when bike turned on. Have to pull out of cradle to turn on n off. Not to be a jerk but, I am not tearing body work off a new bike to find a potentially loose wire! Making an appointment in SLC, let them fix it and use it manually in the interim.

Back