• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I NEED a No=Mar tire changer (rant)

karlfitt

OK,

So it's time for new tires on the old BMW.
I call around for prices at the usual places. Get one quote for $450.00 for PR 2's all mounted up. I ask what that breaks down to.
Don't remember exact tire prices (because of the shock coming) but like 120 for the front and 145 for the rear.
Mount, $45.00 for the front and $62.00 for the rear. EEK!

I ask them, how can the rear be $62.00 and more than the front? It's a single sided swingarm with four bolts holding the wheel on. I get "Well that's what the book shows"

I hate flat rate books for labor charges. I'm no pro, but I have never seen a flat rate charge that "I" couldn't do better on the time on. Aren't pros supposed to be better.

If I had any room at all I would have my own tire changer. Over $100.00 in labor to change tires is ridiculous.

Thanks for listening. I feel better now

We host the tire changer for our local club. The club purchased one that fits on the hitch of the pick up truck so it can be moved to different locations and it takes up very little space. I have to say it works out well. Members of the club (including ourselves) have saved hundreds of dollars by having it available.

It's definitely worth the money.

Get the No Mar. You've already lost a $100 savings on it. It packs up small, and as pointed out, you can use a hitch mount if needed. I have for holes with lags in my concrete floor. I mount the No Mar when I need it, pack it away when I don't.

With 5 bikes, it has paid for itself more than once.

You also can order tires and have them on deck, then change at your convenience. No need to change earlier or later due to the lack of an open appointment.

Finally, it gives you a chance to do other stuff, like brakes, final drive oil, splines, etc.

It is a sound investment.

3 of us chipped in on one. So far, 2 have paid for it with tire changes. Savings come from tire price as well as install cost. I paid $450 for a rear PR3 in Denver because I failed to predict my change.

Get the No Mar. <snip>

Finally, it gives you a chance to do other stuff, like brakes, final drive oil, splines, etc.

It is a sound investment.

I do like tire machines, but am at a loss to figure out how one will be helpful to change final drive oil or lubricate splines.

I let my dealer charge $50 per axle to change tires on my BST CF wheels. I wouldn't trust myself, No-Mar or whatever.

Holy cow! My local independant accesory/used bike shop, (he is friend, but I always tell him to make money from me, I know how it is to be in small business) just sold me two PR2's for 300.50, front and rear. (20 bucks more than the cheapest internet price I could find, but like I said, I support locals!) I bring him the wheels off the bike and that price includes mount and balance. He does that service for any customer. Price includes mounting and balance IF the wheels are off the bike. It took him a total of 20 minutes to do both wheels. I do HAVE to take my old tires home or he charges 5 bucks each to 'get rid of em'....

I think I paid around $600 for my No-Mar three years ago. Also bought a Marc Parnel balancing rig. I figure I've changed and balanced 30-35 tires. At $30-$50 per tire that is.... er... ah.... a heap o' money. I also find I am much more apt to swap tires depending on what we are doing. Long dirt ride and the knobbies go on, and then come off when we get done to be used another day

I do like tire machines, but am at a loss to figure out how one will be helpful to change final drive oil or lubricate splines.

Hey Paul,

I have a 2005. You have to remove the rear wheel and drop the final drive down to change the oil, and of course to lube the splines. I do that service when I am changing tires since I have the wheel off. And, since I'm doing this work, I do a pretty thorough cleaning. I only clean my bike when I change tires. Never in between (unless it gets winter salt on it).

We host the tire changer for our local club. The club purchased one that fits on the hitch of the pick up truck so it can be moved to different locations and it takes up very little space. I have to say it works out well. Members of the club (including ourselves) have saved hundreds of dollars by having it available.

It's definitely worth the money.

You have a PM

Back