• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Buell to be Discontinued

pglaves

It appears that the Buell brand will soon go the way of Studebaker and Oldsmobile.

This from American Motorcyclist:

"Details of Buell and MV Agusta Actions

The Company will discontinue production of Buell motorcycles. Remaining inventories of Buell motorcycles, accessories and apparel, while they last, will continue to be sold through authorized dealerships. Warranty coverage will continue as normal for Buell motorcycles and the Company will provide replacement parts and service through dealerships... "

Entire article, here:

http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/news/story.asp?id=1445

Major Changes and Closings at Harley Davidson

H-D reported its 3rd Qtr statement and major changes. While the sales decline seems to be slowing compared to last month the decline in sales over last year is in the range of 21% world wide. The resulting decline in income numbers is devastating.

H-D is making changes in its go forward business strategy with a ÔÇÿsingle-minded focus of efforts and resourcesÔÇÖ. This is resulting in a variety of changes that are headlined by
- The discontinuation of the Buell brand and
- The sale of MV Agusta

harley-davidson.com: Press Release - Harley-Davidson announces 3rd quarter results, Unveils long-term business strategy

WOW!!

I never expected this.

"Great" news? Kinda sad in my opinion.

I liked how they gave away free stuff. Their neck gaiter is my favorite (and most useful) piece of winter riding gear.

Wow.

Right after Eric publicly crushed the "Blast" (or "Be - Last"), after they began their very aggressive new marketing campaign (big new ads inside the front covers of the major magazines), and scored their latest AMA-DMG racing rules favoritism coup, the doors close. We can't even say the hammer dropped; because Harley knows somebody will buy MV Agusta, yet they aren't even risking the folly of trying to find a buyer for Buell... Which says it all.

I'm sorry to hear about all those who will lose their jobs over this, but hopefully that will be minimized to the production side only, as most of the mechanics and salesmen may still remain employed at the HD dealerships.

Just when their bikes were getting interesting, too.

Based on the economy and the demographics of HD's customer base, this news does not surprise me.
The numbers in their financial statement indicate that this is a necessary move.
Although I have never been an HD fan it would be sad to see this iconic American motorcycle company disappear.
I personally shall follow this with interest.

BuellÔÇÖs closing is not all about quality control. The product line is dependent on H-D or Rotax engines.

The discontinuation of the Blast speaks more to H-DÔÇÖs problems with production capacity in these times than to the product itself. The loss of the Blast has potential long term impacts on motorcycling in general. The Blast was used by many training programs nation wide and its loss and the loss of the H-DÔÇÖs support has the potential for a major negative impact on bringing new riders into the sport.

The Buell brand has always been at the mercy of H-D for engines. When it was an independent company H-D regularly curtailed engine supplies based on its production needs at the expense of Buell. The Rotax deal for the 1125 held promise for the future but without H-D corporate support that production slot will go to other companies.

MV Agusta presents a different prospect than Buell because it has its own production plants. Cagiva may be included in the MV sale offering which would allow a purchaser to expand a product line fairly quickly with a known name.

Offering for sale is one thing but selling MV is another. Who will buy it in this market? Keep in mind the big bike motorcycle industry is not only being hit by the economic crunch but a declining customer base for its products. In addition there is rumored competition in offerings in the motorcycle company sales. VW, one of the few transport companies with money, is rumored to be in negotiations for the purchase of Ducati. Who will step up for MV, a business that has been troubled for the entire decade?

The underlying story is the contraction of H-D and will it survive? With very few monthly exceptions, H-DÔÇÖs increase in sales peaked in December of 2006 and has been declining since. European sales that have mitigated this decline in recent years are now showing declines. It is expanding into other new markets such as India but these are fraught with their own issues that may be very problematic for H-D.

The loss of jobs with the Buell closing is placed at under 200 combined production and other staff. The losses at the dealership level are yet to be seen. H-D has seen dealerships close in the last couple of years. I suspect that this winter will see many more closures. How this impacts the next years in motorcycling remains to be seen.

A friend of mine here in fly-over-land is fond of saying ÔÇÿthis ainÔÇÖt the end of the world but you can see it from my deck.ÔÇÖ This ainÔÇÖt the end of motorcycling but we are in for big changes over the next years.

I almost bought a Buell Lighting a while back, I am sad I didn't. Buell was one of the only sport bikes that is accepted to hang out with the H D crowd which is plentiful where I live and proactive in community involvement. The Buell was fast and they made the same great noise for safety reasons, and they had the cool factor for the next generation of riders if they could afford them. Plus their attire was much more appealing than BMW and they inspired the rider to visit a dealership than go internet aftermarket as we do with BMW. I am sad to see them go, but like Bultaco there will still be some around long after we are on our 3-4 BMWs from now.

I'm sad at the loss. Buell was able to think outside the box and that innovation will be missed. I also liked my Ulysses, except for the heat problem. Does this mean my Buell hat will become a collector's item? They probably gave away a bazillion of them...

Buell was one of the only sport bikes that is accepted to hang out with the H D crowd which is plentiful where I live and proactive in community involvement. QUOTE]

I guess I am the BMW version of a one-percenter, since I take my Airheads many many places where I am the only non V-Twin. And I never give a f**k whether the HD riders (or seat occupiers) like my bike, or not. Acceptance is something I may or may not give, but certainly never crave. Rejection by posers is a compliment, in my book.

Eric Buell's announcement

I've had the honor of meeting Eric, and he is truly a sport-bike enthusiast. Man - you have to hurt for ANYONE who watches his dream fade away.

I, for one, liked the Buells. They were fun, lightweight, sporty, and were made just a few miles from my house. Their brakes were phenomenal. When my daughter Hallie bought one for her first motorcycle, we were happy for her. At 300 pounds, it was something she could handle and still looked great.

This 3 minute video is worth watching.
http://www.buell.com/en_us/

Hmm... maybe BMW can pick up MV Agusta? :)

:ha
Why now?

BMW has had at least two chances to buy MV and passed them up. The first was when Cagiva-MV-Husqvarna was headed to bankruptcy in the first part of this decade and was sold to Malaysia. BMW passed on buying the group or any part of it. A year latter it the group was bought back by an Italian 'bank group' and resurfaced as MV Agusta. BMW bought Husqvarna from them but passed once again on the chance to buy the entire group. The third time may be the charm but I don't think so.

H-D may be cashed strapped and wanting to sell but would they accept what BMW would be willing to pay for it?

The MV brand has cache but would strap BMW dealers with another high end product line. The Cagiva line, to the extent it still exists is weak. Its rumored revival was full of things targeted at competting with BMW. What is the value in that.

Production capacity is a possible selling point. Since the purchase of Husqvarna a great deal of time and effort have been spent separating the production lines of MV and Husky. Husky has the capacity to expand in its current digs so what is the need for additional capacity in a down market? The other unkown for us about BMW is KYMCO. We don't really know what the relationship is between the two. Is KYMCO just a supplier or is BMW an inverstor in them? If they are what would that mean for an analysis of a potential MV purchase.

Been wrong many times before and could well be wrong this time. My guess is rather than the third time being the charm it will be a case of three strikes and BMW will stay out.

"Great" news? Kinda sad in my opinion.

I liked how they gave away free stuff. Their neck gaiter is my favorite (and most useful) piece of winter riding gear.

+1

I didn't care for Buell either, but still a damn shame to hear this. Hopefully they come back, everyone has there own "thing".

I can't imagine BMW buying a brand like MV.. about all it has going for it is history. It's not like it has engineering BMW wants, or a market that BMW wants. You don't make money competing with yourself. With BMW moving in the performance bike market with the S1000RR - that's exactly what they'd be doing.

It's sorta like when people prophesied that (1) Ford would buy BMW - in a hostile takeover. This was in the great auto maker consolidation era. I tried pointing out that a hostile takeover would be impossible since the company is basically controlled by one family that has firmly resisted any outside takeover for decades, but that didn't stop the prophets.. (2) That BMW would buy Volvo from Ford (in the great auto-maker de-consolidation era - still ongoing) - and BMW eventually had to announce they saw no reason to take over Volvo because it would be competing with themselves.

If HD can't find a way to make money off MV - what makes anyone think BMW could? I suspect BMW is smart enough to know that.

BMW bought Husky because Husky has a following that actually buys bikes, and Husky has a dealer network that may be very useful to push the X bikes out through. And Husky was AFAIK - making money. MV has none of these.

YMMV - rumor central reporting in.. :clap

Last edited:
Buell was one of the only sport bikes that is accepted to hang out with the H D crowd which is plentiful where I live and proactive in community involvement. QUOTE]

I guess I am the BMW version of a one-percenter, since I take my Airheads many many places where I am the only non V-Twin. And I never give a f**k whether the HD riders (or seat occupiers) like my bike, or not. Acceptance is something I may or may not give, but certainly never crave. Rejection by posers is a compliment, in my book.

Yes you are if that is you. :thumb

So you have the craving to be different and post to tell everyone. Again Buell was one of the only sport bikes that is acceptable to hang out with the H D crowd which is plentiful where I live ( where I live ) and proactive in community involvement ( which they raise more money for Veterans, Johnny needs a new liver and cancer than BMW riders do or ever did despite a local BMW club ). Do I hang with the HD crowd ? No I just show up at fundraiser events with my poser costume with helmet, and BMW bike, pay the fee and leave. This cheapest thing on a BMW hates the tough guy crowd that at the end of the day that have to call Momma to see if there is enough milk in the fridge........yes dear I am on my way home. :)

I am going to miss the loud sport bikes on my commute. Maybe they rode to be the 1 % of HD, their dream and individuality. :thumb

A video message from Erik Buell

Most buell owners I know like their potent high-torque v-twin motors and innovative design features. Despite the quirky looks of some models -- I rather liked the bikes myself and would have bought a Ulysses if the seat height wasn't so high.

A video message from Erik Buell:

http://www.buell.com/en_us/

I've test ridden a couple Buells and was quickly convinced that I would kill myself within a couple of weeks. Fast, quick, awesome brakes. My Yamaha Virago felt like a farm tractor after a short ride on a Buell.

Back