• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Glare Off the Tank Bag Clear Plastic

CMGR1100RT

Try black rip stop material (similar to use in jackets, tents, etc.) held in place by velcro. Fabric stores carry both.

I'm tired of squinting from the glare of the sun off the clear plastic on the top of my BMW (R1200RT) tank bag. Other than trimming the plastic off with an X-acto knife, is there some easy "rube goldberg" way to cover it up with something on sunny days? I'd like to be able to use it sometime when I travel with maps or directions. Just wondering if someone has a nice idea I haven't thought of. :type

Check Bed, Bath & Beyond for a large shower cap - the ones with an elastic hem so they can expand around the bag and then fit snug.

Preferrably black or dark blue - making a 'statement' with the yellow one that features pretty red flowers could get you beat up at the next gas stop. :dance

Or just leave your bike parked in direct sunlight for a few days. UV discolors the rather poor quality plastic pretty easily to a hazy brown.. When (if) you need to replace it, any boat plastic material used in this country is far superior and a local shop can probably do the repair. One more instance of poor German design for hot and sunny climates - adhesives and plastics problems on German stuff isn't rare....

Glad I stumbled on this thread - I was just about to get rid of my Marsee tank bag. It's a hard plastic clear top and the glare is unbelievable - and no, polarized sunglasses don't help. I tried tinting film but since it's just as reflective as the plastic it didn't help (duh!). The fabric cover sounds like a plan, though it defeats the idea of the map pocket.

I tried tinting film but since it's just as reflective as the plastic it didn't help (duh!). The fabric cover sounds like a plan, though it defeats the idea of the map pocket.

From my days working in plastic films: try matte, clear vinyl or polycarbonate. Vinyl between 3.5 and 5.0 mils thick should do. Don't know if there is a MC PC in a similar thickness, but both would weather well and don't glare.

From my days working in plastic films: try matte, clear vinyl or polycarbonate. Vinyl between 3.5 and 5.0 mils thick should do. Don't know if there is a MC PC in a similar thickness, but both would weather well and don't glare.

well, Lowe's doesn't sell matte film! Where would one find it?

well, Lowe's doesn't sell matte film! Where would one find it?

Take a look through the local yellow pages. Look for sheet fed screen printers or printers that work with films. They will often be able to supply offcuts or samples often at no charge (scrap).

Alternately, you could check for a couple of the mfg. I know Bayer makes a PC matte and Intex makes a matte clear vinyl. You're looking for suppliers of plastic film for printing.

I don't know whether McMaster/Carr sells the film, but they may be a source, too. Just be prepared for the world's largest catalog.

Hope this helps.

Thane

I don't know whether McMaster/Carr sells the film, but they may be a source, too. Just be prepared for the world's largest catalog.

Hope this helps.

Thane

I've bought from McMaster before - go to their website and type in "film" in the search box! I'll scour the local printers!! Thanks

Or impregnate it with a satin finish vinyl refinishing product like,

http://www.bryndana.com/classic.html

interior-spray-paints.jpg

or
http://www.tcpglobal.com/autobodydepot/itemdetail.aspx?itemno=SEM+13023

SEMcolorcoataero.jpg

Hmmm... seems pretty permanent! You think with a satin finish the plastic is clear (opaque) enough to still see a map?

Hard tellin, not knowin'... . . :scratch

I think you could apply a very light mist coat without totally "blurring" out the map; the idea is to break up the continuous surface of the vinyl and diffract some of the light bouncing into the eyes. If one coat didn't do the trick add another one, etc.

Maybe a trial on a piece of vinyl material obtained from a local convertible-top shop, etc.? Of course you'd have to commit to spending $15 for the aerosol to try it ... I don't have any personal experience with either of these products. I have, however, used other SEM products and find them to be satisfactory.

Pretty much a DESIGN FAIL on the tank bag itself, I'd say. Don't their designers RIDE with their products?!?!

Go to a fabric store. Ask about clear vinyl (as for table covers). It will be in the upholstery fabric area. You'll find different thicknesses and finsihes.

A half a yard should be enough for your current bag and a replacement.

P

I can't see the problem

I'm so close to the bag (I'm 5'8.5" at best), that on my trip west across I-90 I never had a problem morning or night. Must be a problem for some, but not all.

Back