• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

F850GSA Upper crash bars

coachz

Hi guys I'm going to be taking delivery of my new F850GSA this coming week and I think I have all the bits I want for it to do a BDR this fall but I can't find upper crash bars for it anywhere.

I had the touratech bars on my 16' 800gsa and they make them for the F850GS but not the adventure.

If anyone knows of a shop that's making them I'd greatly appreciate it. It looks to me that the OEM bars aren't going to do a ton towards protecting the body of the bike.

I took delivery of my '19 850GSA yesterday and I have been looking for the same. I also had Touratech Upper and Lowers on my 700GS and desperately want the same for the 850GSA but no such luck. I'll stay tuned...I hope you find them!!! I want black preferably.

I’m starting to realize the Adventure models have terrible non OEM support regarding crash bars. If I had known that before I bought my GSA, it might have gone differently.

I was trying to understand the thread... here I was thinking, "but mine has crash bars, what is he talking about"... then I saw the ones for the older bikes...

BMW-F800GS-Adventure-Upper-Crash-Bars-561x374.jpg

So these add to the existing lower stock units and protect higher up. Got it now...

Fairly new bike, guess these vendors are working on them. Would be great to have the added protection. :thumb

So I wrote to them... here is what I got. I should have sent the email to their headquarters

Hello,
I'm afraid we do not have any clear ETA available from Touratech Germany.

Best Regards,
Kimmo
www.touratech-usa.com
800-491-2926 / 206-323-2349

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 12, 2019 7:19 AM
To: olark@touratech-usa.com
Subject: wachuko@ wrote you a note via Olark

name: Wachuko
email: wachuko@
Type us a message here...: 2019 BMW F 850 GS Adventure.

Do you have estimated time of availability for the upper crash bars for the
F850 GS Adventure?

Yeah I'm a little concerned as well with my new purchase as I plan to ride it pretty hard off road and as it stands the bike is going to take a pounding if I can't find some bars. Quite frustrating.

Yeah I'm a little concerned as well with my new purchase as I plan to ride it pretty hard off road and as it stands the bike is going to take a pounding if I can't find some bars. Quite frustrating.

My need is more around buying a bike that might not be sized correctly for me... being 5'7" and shrinking, I am struggling with the top heaviness of the GSA... but I got it for the larger tank for the long rides we have planned.

So I need to add those top bars... I have had a few scares every time that I am on uneven terrain... and two drops on a sandy road when turning around and hitting the side sand banks... no damage to the bike since it was at a walking pace, only thing hurt was my ego.

Let me send their HQ an email to see if they, at least started, working on them...

EDIT: Email sent to info@touratech.de asking if they are working on these... Also included the link back to this thread so they see it is just not me asking for these.

Last edited:
Reply from Germany... best for each person wanting these to drop them an email to show interest... that is the only way that they will have a sense of market needs...

Thanks for your email.

At this time we haven´t the plan to produce upper crash bars for this bike. But if the demand is big enough we will produce maybe crash bars In the future.

Viele Grüße / kind regards

i.A. Marco Kempf
Sales Consultant

TOURATECH GmbH
Auf dem Zimmermann 7-9
DE 78078 Niedereschach

Upper crash bars and other after market parts for F850GSA

The F850GS aftermarket seems to be doing well, but the GSA seems to be non-existent at this time, hope that changes soon.:dance

Curious. Are the frames different? Are the engine cases different?

Frame and engine are the same, but the larger tank and wider body work on the GSA is different and makes many of the aftermarket protection accessories incompatible. I couldn't even get a headlight guard to fit and had to make totally new brackets for the one I used.

Outfitting an F850GSA

F850GSACB.JPG I saw this today on the Wunderlich web site, currently it is not listed as available, but fingers crossed, maybe soon.:dance

Looks like Wunderlich has some available

WTB.JPG
We do have this here’s a link.
http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=WA&Screen=PROD&Product_Code=41580400

These have been in R&D and production for most of the year, not sure what the hold up has been as they had a prototype out quite a long while ago. I’ve seen this before with Wunderlich products, though.. they won’t put a product to market that doesn’t meet our standards. We’ve put them up on our site recently in expectation of receiving them.

I just looked at the on the german site and they are stating that “Available as from the middle of November 2019” so this will likely put them at our warehouse in the US sometime mid to late December, (we only receive German shipments via ocean freight.) we apologize for the inconvenience on this, but will be receiving them in the next few months. I’m showing 6 on order right now coming to us with 3 already spoken for. If you’re alright with the wait- You can reserve yours by placing your order and we’ll ship it out as soon as we receive it.
Best regards,
Casey Newett

Customer Support
wun.JPG

Argghhhh... too late to order to get it here in time for my trip... I head out tomorrow on a 6,000 miles trip with 4 friends...

But glad it is now available!!!

I have to ask, for those that have the upper crash bars.

What are the situations that these come handy in protecting the bike? Curious to know.

I have shared several times that I bought this GSA and realized afterwards that it was too tall for me. Nevertheless, I decided to stick with it.

I have had three times where I have had to let it fall on its side. Twice the first time I took it out to a campground in Saint Augustine, FL... was turning around and it was all sand... that front brake, even after 20 years of riding, stupid me with the front brake always get me... and the most recent one was on the last segment of a 6,127 mile trip... I was in the parking lot ready to head out, sure enough, front wheel turned, I am moving slowly, hit the front brake and down it goes to the right again...

In all these situations the bottom guard has been a complete life saver... nothing, and I mean nothing damaged on the bike... not even a scratch!

So I am trying to figure out, since the bottom ones seem to be taking all these falls perfectly... why the need for the upper ones?? :scratch

And guys, keep in mind, this is my first adventure bike. Everything else I have had has been touring bikes, and one sport bike...

East-SouthWest Ride-1.jpeg

Why Upper Crash Bars

Bike-snow.JPGI do a majority of my riding on Idaho Public Lands roads (USFS, BLM) and the Idaho BDR. These route often have rocks, loose gravel, sand, mud, water and sometimes snow. They also often have ruts and washouts that can quickly put your bike on it's side. During the years I rode my 2007 F650GS, it was on it's side more times than I would like to admit, generally at very slow speeds, but damage was still done. I plan on riding my F850GSA for many years to come and would like to limit any damage to scratches on some stainless steel tubes and not on expensive body work.

Back