• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Garmin Map Update - 2/20/2020

exgman

A new Garmin map update is available:

Screen Shot 2020-02-20 at 8.25.32 AM.png

Thanks

Thanks John and Joe... I’ll dismount the NAV VI when I get home and perform the updates. It’s very helpful to see these update reminders in the forums.

With 57F in Boston today I rode around for 50-miles using the NavV to see if anything changed with the update. It seems to have a new female voice, the database seemed to know every stop-sign and traffic light in the western suburbs of Boston, and even better, the speed-limit changes happened instantly. Looks good so far...

With 57F in Boston today I rode around for 50-miles using the NavV to see if anything changed with the update. It seems to have a new female voice, the database seemed to know every stop-sign and traffic light in the western suburbs of Boston, and even better, the speed-limit changes happened instantly. Looks good so far...

My Nav V has always changed the speed limit display very close to the sign. I wish Garmin would do a better job of updating speed limit display.
It's not unusual the speed limit display on the Garmin is wrong.

What do you mean by "database seemed to know every stop-sign and traffic light in the western suburbs of Boston"
Do you see a symbol for stop signs and traffic lights?

My Nav V has always changed the speed limit display very close to the sign. I wish Garmin would do a better job of updating speed limit display.
It's not unusual the speed limit display on the Garmin is wrong.

What do you mean by "database seemed to know every stop-sign and traffic light in the western suburbs of Boston"
Do you see a symbol for stop signs and traffic lights?

Well, my past experience was that the speed-limit signs in my NavV always would change up to 1/2-mile beyond the place where the physical sign was located on the road. This seemed most common on smaller roads in smaller towns.

My observation about stop-signs/traffic signals is not visual, but is an audible direction by the NavV voice telling me when navigating, as an example, "turn right at the stop sign," or "turn left at the traffic light." Occasionally when navigating I'll hear something like: "Turn left after the church." It does seem to have more information than before. I have my NavV preference set on the most detailed setting. Perhaps that's the reason? I dunno.

My observation about stop-signs/traffic signals is not visual, but is an audible direction by the NavV voice telling me when navigating, as an example, "turn right at the stop sign," or "turn left at the traffic light." Occasionally when navigating I'll hear something like: "Turn left after the church." It does seem to have more information than before. I have my NavV preference set on the most detailed setting. Perhaps that's the reason? I dunno.

Thanks. I also have my set to More Detail.

Interesting John how it appears that each Garmin GPS model seems to use a different size map file.
View attachment 77311

Your Nav-V appears to be a different size than my Nav-VI file and my three other Garmin GPS units are also all different:
  • Nav-V = 5.6GB
  • Nav-VI = 6.05GB
  • DriveAssit50 = 6.87GB
  • Nuvi 58 = 3.79GB
  • Nuvi 56 = 3.42GB

Interesting John how it appears that each Garmin GPS model seems to use a different size map file.
View attachment 77311

Your Nav-V appears to be a different size than my Nav-VI file and my three other Garmin GPS units are also all different:
  • Nav-V = 5.6GB
  • Nav-VI = 6.05GB
  • DriveAssit50 = 6.87GB
  • Nuvi 58 = 3.79GB
  • Nuvi 56 = 3.42GB

I checked the map update size for ours and it shows 6.05GB for both Nav V and 5.02GB for the Nuvi.

Well, that makes things interesting Lee.

John, I took it your post showing 5.6GB was for your Nav-V, was it? Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that.
A new Garmin map update is available:

View attachment 77264

I checked the map update size for ours and it shows 6.05GB for both Nav V and 5.02GB for the Nuvi.
Lee, which model Nuvi do you have? On Saturday I just helped setup a friend's new Zumo 396LM and forgot to note the map file size.

John, if that 5.9GB was for your Nav-V, and Lee's Nav-V map size showed as 5.02GB, I'm wondering if it has to do with respective computer operating systems. IIRC, John you use a Mac, don't you? Certainly, we've seen that Garmin releases system updates with different version #s at different times for the two OSs which is natural.

Never spent any time with Apple IOs (don't care for proprietary systems) so I don't know if their file sizes are different for the same things, but, that could easily be, much like a book in French will be approximately 20% longer than the same book in English.

So it would appear that your Nav-V and my Nav-VI are likely using the same file, which is what I would have expected as the differences between the two units are not related to the maps as I recall.

Wondering if John's different file size is due to him using a Mac or something like that.

Back