• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MC gear that isn't MC gear

rick601

Looking for a rain shell to replace a really tough, feature laden Patagonia shell I'd had for many years. I'll probably look at ski-stuff (though I want un insulated for year round use) but it occurred to me that there MIGHT be a motorcycle gear maker who can fill the bill as some of the best-made apparel I've used is motorcycle gear . Aside from no armour, I have specific thoughts:
all season- shell only
mid-thigh length
pit zips
tough (ie not just waterproof nylon- maybe a 2 or 3 layer goretex or equivalent)
no large branding
more than 2 pockets
under $600 (preferably sub $500)
AND THE BIGGEST HURDLE:
NOT MADE IN CHINA.

my Roadcrafter shell is TOO tough and heavy (and unstylish) and the Olympia rain jacket (from the 3 in 1 is too short and light (and Chinese made)

I justify posting this in a motorcycle forum thinking that we spend a lot on good gear and just possibly there is stuff out there that can do double duty- especially for us northerner riders who have a shorter riding season. Anyway- it'll be interesting to hear what gear you wear not riding-even if it isn't a stylish goretex rain shell!

Check at back packing store for a Gore-Tex shell.
For quite a few years we used Marmont shells we purchased from a back packing store.
Buy at end of the season for a discount.
They have vents and a hood that stored in the collar. I like having a hood for off the bike if it's raining.

My wife has her rain jacket on in this picture.
P1000912.JPG

Well, you either have a jacket that incorporates goretex or you put a rain suit over yours. We’re talking motorcycles here, so you’ll have elbow, shoulder, and back protectors.

For rain suits, see BMW, Rukka, Triumph, Ducati. You need something fairly substantial to avoid flapping in the wind. This is seldom in the design criteria for non motorcycle items.

Living in the Southwest, I seldom ride much in ultra cold conditions, and therefor survive year around with an Airflow suit with Gerbing heated gear underneath. Then and sometimes also in more mild weather,my rain suit serves as much as an airflow stopper as actual rain protection. Two-piece rain suit is orders of magnitude easier to put on along side a road than a one-piece, and there’s really no downside when comparing. I wear the top way more often than the pants, another nice feature.

Good ideas all. I am a member of REI and have been perusing their offerings; unfortunately their closest bricks and mortar is 1 1/2 hours away. Actually saw a decent Patagonia shell in a clothing store-Interestingly it has a poly (?) coating on the Goretex which the Motorsport site brags about NOT having! Motorsport also touts their American made gear which can accommodate liners (cool- I mean warm!) I’m taking a mini vacation in Cape Cod and ran across a Barbour which I had dismissed as too warm- but they also have a surprisingly light waterproof jacket- “car coat” length. As my road master is my dedicated MC jacket, the Barbour is now also I. The running- I have to do some research- it’s extremely well made but I’m not sure if it’s suitability for warm weather- it is very tempting nevertheless. Also it may be a little too classy for this guy! On the other hand, there is sometimes a reason that something is iconic. Anyway- I’m actually enjoying the hunt.

Not motorcycle gear

When I started riding I had waterproof hi-viz stuff that I found at farm stores or stuff for construction workers. Not the cheap plastic stuff but heavier canvas type stuff.

I wear high end ski gloves fro cold weather riding. In my 20 years of working ski hills good gloves were key. The Marmot Ultimate ski glove and Hestra’s top of the line gloves were two of the best. I’ve ridden in -15°C with heated grips and no issues.

Spent a few days in cape cod- found a nice clothing store- tried on a few Barbours- found a light nice cool (priceyish) jacket that I really like- done!
The Motorcycle gear avenue just didn't pan out- but the suggestions were all good- pretty much! Got me thinking and I realize that except for socks and underpants there is virtually no gear I wear off the motorcycle or vice versa. "Virtually" I do have a leather vest that I'll occasionally wear off the bike. I don't even like to ride even locally in street jeans- though I have on occasion. and of course I'll wear street clothes under the Roadcrafter pants. Oh well- I'll just continue to develop two complete wardrobes!

Back