• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

OOPS - I should have said I-90

BMW Triumphant

Ed Kilner #176066
:scratch

Thanks for the replies dealing with my I-80 question. I goofed. My route will be a bit north along I-90. Does that change much?

I'm going west through the US, and returning via Canada. Have always wanted to do this.

Is there much in the way of critters crossing the road? Not likely to be traveling at night, but might want to get early starts. Any recommendations?

Did look at I-80, and may take it some other trip.

:scratch

Thanks for the replies dealing with my I-80 question. I goofed. My route will be a bit north along I-90. Does that change much?

I'm going west through the US, and returning via Canada. Have always wanted to do this.

Is there much in the way of critters crossing the road? Not likely to be traveling at night, but might want to get early starts. Any recommendations?

Did look at I-80, and may take it some other trip.

Did an Iron Butt along I-90 a couple of years ago thru Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota and Wyoming. Plenty of gas/lunch/lodging stops along this route, but heed Paul Glave's advice when traversing such open stretches of real estate: gas early and often.

Enjoy! :usa

I travel I-90 from Spokane east to MN/IA about once a year, and west to Seattle multiple times a year. (Mostly in a cage.)

The section from Billings, MT south and east through MT/WY to the SD border is pretty desolate. I would think that in most of the other sections either direction, gas/food will be no more than 30 miles (+/-) apart.

Critters on the road? I would be VERY cautious riding that route after dark. I've seen more critters on the road, and the aftermath, than I want to encounter on the bikes. If you come that far west, check out the tall fences on either side of I-90 between Ellensburg, WA and Snoqualmie Summit.

My 2 cents worth. Enjoy the trip, be safe!

Could you say more ...

About what "pretty desolate" means? I will be heading west. I plan on seeing Mt Rushmore and then heading west to Seattle area. Should I plan that leg carefully to ensure I can get accommodation?

Thanks for the response.

About what "pretty desolate" means? I will be heading west. I plan on seeing Mt Rushmore and then heading west to Seattle area. Should I plan that leg carefully to ensure I can get accommodation?

Thanks for the response.

No problems across SD. From the SD line across Wyoming it is sparce, with basically Gillette between SD and Buffalo. Then Sheridan. Montana is also sparce in spots. Look at a map that gives a sense of population/size. Some maps show towns with no good way of discerning whether it is 4 buildings at a crossroads or a town of several thousand folks. In doubt, look up the population or use mapping software with points of interest to get a feel for lodging choices.

ITS Big, but;

Our West is big, but not so big you should worry so about overnights and gas. Yep, some towns are a lot further apart than Eastern locales, but even our smaller 6 gallon Beemers can find gas easily. Sounds like you've not traveled West much and its good you ask, but worry little my friend, you'll be fine. The 90 corridor is a fine, beautiful ride for Interstate usage. Montana has NO daylight speed limit, safe being the guideline only:). Some speed postings are present, but not enforced IF you are safe and prudent. Most are still 70-80mph, but watch for the occasional fly by:). LBH is a cool National Monument to visit, right on Montana90:). Randy

That should work!

If you should get stopped tell the officer that Randy said it was OK.

http://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/speed_limit.shtml

I have never had a speeding ticket, and at my age, don't even walk fast. I'm sure I'll find a speed that is comfortable and not be holding up traffic, but the trip is not intended to set any records.

Sounds like I-90 will turn out ok for my trip, but I will do lots more map study - not leaving until June, so I have the time.

Sure do wish some of the chain hotels would have a website feature that would let you enter the highway number and get a listing of their locations along the route. Don't web site guys ever travel?

+1 on Paul G's advice. Between the SD/WY line and Billings, "sparse" doesn't mean completely uninhabited - just means plan your gas/food/lodging stops ahead. For the rest of the route, you can be more relaxed about planning stops.

Now I am not sure how much time you have, but if it were me (and I've done this) I'd ditch I-90 west of Spearfish and take the less-traveled route. Much more senic but slower (duh...) I've been on 212 and state highways over much of the section between Spearfish and Spokane. Lots to see. PM me if you want ideas.

Oh, and respectfully contrary to Polarbear's comment - I do believe I-90 in MT is now posted at 75 MPH.

Regards,

Last edited:
Now I am not sure how much time you have, but if it were me (and I've done this) I'd ditch I-90 west of Spearfish and take the less-traveled route. Much more senic but slower (duh...) I've been on 212 and state highways over much of the section between Spearfish and Spokane. Lots to see. PM me if you want ideas.

Between Whitewood, SD (east of Spearfish) and Billings, MT the two lanes through Belle Fourche and Broadus (34 and then 212) is 60 miles shorter than staying on I-90, and more interesting in a desolate sort of way. Gas at Broadus.

Last edited:
Exactly what I had in mind!

And of course, the Beartooth, Yellowstone, some good (as in senic) MT and US secondaries, and US 12 over Lolo Pass are not too far "off course"...

I found the 212 hwy on the map. Looks interesting.

I suspect there are plenty of great roads in the area. Will have to do some timing estimates to see how much time I will have in the area.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Your question is....is there many critters in the road on I 90? The answer is, yes and no. When you are looking down the road and from side to side looking for a critter, there is no critter. When you day dream for just a moment or blink or reach back to see if its warm between your pillon riders legs, that is when there is a critter in the road. I have been down I90 more than once and didn't see a critter until I wasn't looking for a critter. There are big prong horned antelope in Mt. that can jump a 5 foot fence and sprint across the road before you can say, damn. It's a little scary at 90mph. If you leave early in the morning, say at just sun up, you will probably see more critters than if you waited. At night, you are just asking for trouble. Ride safe, ride smart.

This got brought up a while back after somebody here hit a Pronghorn. IIRC, they can't/won't jump a fence. They go under the fence.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showpost.php?p=585598&postcount=6

The Pronghorn around here can jump fences but generally don't jump fences. A wildlife biologist explained to me that they are prone to injuring their rather spindly legs when landing after a jump so they don't jump much. But they can if they decide to do so.

Back