• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

BMW's Too top heavy for older riders?

And which manufacturer makes one of these? My sport bike weighs 418 lb fueled and there is no way a touring bike is going to get close to that number.

Maybe But the KTM Adventure 790 is 419 lbs dry about 450 with a full tank. Swap some the heavy adventure trinkets for a good windscreen and It seems to me you are there for a good 95hp mid size tourer.

I'm liking the Tiger 800, at least on paper. 439 lb dry (claimed); the 850 GS is comparable in power but much taller, the 750 GS is comparable dimensionally but way down in power; both the 750 and 850 are heavier.

The one review I read of the KTM 790 suggests it responds best to being ridden hard - I'm probably too relaxed to get full benefit from what it can do..

I'll be 79 in a month or so and I'm 5'6" and shrinking. can't pickup my RT so I bought a bike jack and carry it as I ride by myself a lot. The picture is when I was testing it to see if it would work for me.

Attachments

• bikeJack.jpg
    bikeJack.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 269
  • Bike Jack.jpg
    Bike Jack.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 269
I'm liking the Tiger 800, at least on paper. 439 lb dry (claimed); the 850 GS is comparable in power but much taller, the 750 GS is comparable dimensionally but way down in power; both the 750 and 850 are heavier..

FWIW The F750GS may be the better bike ...it might have better HP and torque curves than the F850 to around 80mph. This WAS the case when I had the F650 twin vs the F700 at the time.
It had a milder cam that produced better torque. The hot cam of the F700 delivered more HP/torque only on the top end (over 7000 rpm). The F650 had BETTER torque and HP than that F700 thru 5000 rpm (85mph). Also the cast wheels are lighter, stiffer (better in the twisties) the C of G was lower ( easier to pick up, again better in the twisties).

If you don't spend much time twisting your engine above 7000, what the hot cam buying you? Marketing hype?

I'm liking the Tiger 800, at least on paper. 439 lb dry (claimed); the 850 GS is comparable in power but much taller, the 750 GS is comparable dimensionally but way down in power; both the 750 and 850 are heavier.

The one review I read of the KTM 790 suggests it responds best to being ridden hard - I'm probably too relaxed to get full benefit from what it can do..[/QUOT E]

Have you ridden a F750GS? Unless you're riding two up all the time I wouldn't say it is under powered. 30 years ago I went everywhere on a K75S (75 HP, 50 foot pounds)...it weighted more, had less HP, no cruise control, ESA or many other current equipment. Same for the R100RS (60 HP) in '93. Think there's a slight difference between 750/850 when it comes to getting down a smooth surface road...real power wise. I find the 750 power to be more than adequate...unless I'm "forced" to race a 1400cc something, unless it's a HD. Of course I don't race anyone however, do go to post office, gas station (not often at 57 MPG) or cross town. Few times a year will do a 700 mile round trip to "back home". If my body and desire was younger I believe another 5,000 mile trip out West would be doable.

'97 R1100RT 1/4 mile 12.7
'03 K1200GT 11.7
'05 R1200RT 12.0
'09 F800GS 12.0
'13 F700GS 12.6
'14 R1200RT 11.2
'17 R 9 T Racer 12.4
'19 G310R 15.1
'19 F750GS 12.5 (77 HP, 61 torque)

I'll be 79 in a month or so and I'm 5'6" and shrinking. can't pickup my RT so I bought a bike jack and carry it as I ride by myself a lot. The picture is when I was testing it to see if it would work for me.

what jack is that? got a link?

Have you had a chance to perform your test? If it receives your recommendation I think I'll order one.

The pictures are of me testing it. I'm happy with it and feel better knowing I have it in my trunk.

I've just come to realize that I do not want a 500lbs motorcycle. There are plenty bikes out there that have all the creature comforts (and have plenty of power) and are under 500lbs......

I've just come to realize that I do not want a 500lbs motorcycle. There are plenty bikes out there that have all the creature comforts (and have plenty of power) and are under 500lbs......

Which one's are you thinking about here. I'm interested.

Have you had a chance to perform your test? If it receives your recommendation I think I'll order one.

I used that bike jack on a 600 lb Super Tenere upnto a couple of months ago when I sold the bike. Worked great if needed , and towards the end of my ownership, it was definitely needed. Now with lighter and better apportioned bike, I didn’t need it so sold it to another Tenere rider who will need it. But wouldn’t hesitate to purchase again if my new to me r niner t proves to be a pain to pick up when loaded with tour baggage.

Tough to get a bike that easy to “flick” around wether it’s in your garage, on the trail or picking it up after a bike-nap and tours well. “Specksmanship” that indicates 20 or 30 pounds lighter than what you are riding now probably won’t remain much of a difference after a few miles.
Go ride a smaller bike in the 300cc to 400cc class and you will be able to really feel the difference. IMO, if you are going to tour on a smaller bike, you are really going to have to want it.......kinda like cross country in a Smart Car and a Town Car.
The one constant seems to be seats designed by someone that never sat down :hungover
As always, YMMV.
OM

Well, if'in ya don't need all the bells & whistles ?.....aren't the old [naked] airheads right around 500 pounds ?

Known reliability , enough HP , simplicity in motion, and IMO still look good.

My R65 is 455 lbs. My GS is 70 lbs more (without bags) and I can almost get my fleet flat on the ground which I can't on the R65. I would like to see BMW use the 310 platform to create a new 620 twin around 450 lbs and make around 60 hp with a fat mid range torque curve. The 310 platform would make a neat little 930 triple too!

Back