• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

The state of Rhode Island

RI is one of four continental United states in which I have never been. I plan to visit in between the RA and MOA rallies. My Great Great Grandmother was a Rathbun who was one of the original families that settled Block Island. My plan was to go out onto Long Island, NY and take the ferry across to New London, CT. From there ride around in RI then back across CT and on to WV for the RA rally.
I'd like to take ferry for a day or partial day to Block Island but concerned about security of bike in the meantime. Any ideas? Advice?:dunno :type

Hi Fritzc:

I am not quite following you. Are you taking the bike to BI, and concerned with its security over there? Or, are you parking the bike on the mainland?

RI is one of four continental United states in which I have never been. I plan to visit in between the RA and MOA rallies. My Great Great Grandmother was a Rathbun who was one of the original families that settled Block Island. My plan was to go out onto Long Island, NY and take the ferry across to New London, CT. From there ride around in RI then back across CT and on to WV for the RA rally.
I'd like to take ferry for a day or partial day to Block Island but concerned about security of bike in the meantime. Any ideas? Advice?:dunno :type

Unless there is something specific on Long Island you want to see I'd say don't bother with the ferry. If you are coming up from Johnson City to go to Long Island you would go over the Verazanno Narrows Bridge, then out to Orient Point. By the time you get to New London you've taken most of the day to cover what would only take 3hrs (tops) to do if you stay on I95.

If you are leaving Johnson City on Sunday morning I'd take back roads north to the PA /WV/MD boarder area (day one), then a big slab day to RI, spend the night, go out to BI on Tuesday and start south Wednesday.

If you take the boat from Pt. Judith you can easily bring your bike with you. If you take the boat from Newport you can leave your bike there for the day with no issues but I'd lock up the tempting stuff.

You can also leave the bike at Pt. Judith with no issues.

If you time is flexibe I'd suggest / invite you to come out here and tour BI on Friday the 11 of July and join us on our rolling tour to the MOA Rally. We are leaving New England on Saturday the 12.

Cool Road suggestions in RI

A) Rt.1A from Watch Hill to Wickford, (a very quaint historic seaside town).

1.) And/Or, about 8 miles before Wickford, break East on Rt.138, crossing the two bridges to Newport.
A stop after the first bridge brings you to the Island commonly called Jamestown. A stop here in the local village and a ride to Beavertail Point is worthwhile. (The road is bumpy)
The views from the bridges may take your breath away.
Over the next bridge, in Newport, you must ride Ocean Drive, and walk the Cliff Walk.

In Newport:
Have a great meal at 'Salas's', on Thames street, at a reasonable price and rub elbows with the locals. 'Yesterdays' Restaurant near the old courthouse is another good local place.
Have a great meal at 'The Clark Cooke House' and rub elbows with International Yacht racers. The Black Pearl is another very cool, internationally visited restaurant and outdoor bar.
All three places have excellent bars.

Summer weekends are traffic hell. Go early or late summer, and/or during the week.

Eastern RI and Western CT.:
B.) Rt. 102, West from Wickford to Rt.44. Go west on Rt.44 until you get to Pomfret, CT, at the intersection of Rt.169 and Rt.44. Stop, drink coffee and have a nice sandwich at "The Vanilla Bean", a restaurant that is very popular with bikers.
Go south on Rt.169 for one of the more scenic rides in New England.
You can find your way to Rt.95 near the end of Rt.169.

Some parts of RI roads can be rough with potholes.

Ride Safe,
R.P. Falcon
BMW 07 K12GT
97 HD Sportster 1200
Cannondale road and mountain bicycles.

Providence has three universities that are renowned internationally: Brown, Rhode Island School of Design, and Johnson&Wales. I don't mean to slight Providence College or Rhode Island College, also in Providence; I'm just not sure they have the same international stature. Moving outside Providence, but still in Rhode Island, you've got Bryant University, Salve Regina, and the University of Rhode Island (a "state" school but with international acclaim in some programs, oceanography for example)

Brown brings Ivy-League intellect, RISD brings a wealth of creativity, and J&W brings... FOOD! Their culinary program is among the very best. Not coincidentally, Providence has an abundance of fantasic restaurants.

Providence has become quite the town since I was at RISD in the late 80's/early 90's. I have fond memories of Mayor Cianci getting booed when he spoke at our graduation. :ha

Eastern RI and Western CT.:
B.) Rt. 102, West from Wickford to Rt.44. Go west on Rt.44 until you get to Pomfret, CT, at the intersection of Rt.169 and Rt.44. Stop, drink coffee and have a nice sandwich at "The Vanilla Bean", a restaurant that is very popular with bikers.
Go south on Rt.169 for one of the more scenic rides in New England.
You can find your way to Rt.95 near the end of Rt.169.

While this might be a nitpick, falcon, the above should say "Western RI and Eastern CT"

And on a more subjective note, a route I would suggest from Wickford to Pomfret is 102N (it heads west out of Wickford but is considered a N-S route) to 94N to 44W. This area of northwestern RI and northeastern CT has some of the best riding in New England south of Vermont (although the Berkshires might take issue with that statement).

Happily, the Bean is popular with motorcyclists too.

I just noticed your location as Sterling, Ct.
I live in Danielson, Ct. and joined the CRVBMW chapter but all the members live out west. I didn't think there were any members around me.
I see Beemers on Rt. 6 and such but it's always when I am going somewhere and can't track them down.
It sure would be nice to have others to ride with.

Going out Rt6 to Foster Center and down 94 and back through Plainfield or down to Jamestown are my favorite local rides.

I just noticed your location as Sterling, Ct.
I live in Danielson, Ct. and joined the CRVBMW chapter but all the members live out west. I didn't think there were any members around me.
I see Beemers on Rt. 6 and such but it's always when I am going somewhere and can't track them down.
It sure would be nice to have others to ride with.

Going out Rt6 to Foster Center and down 94 and back through Plainfield or down to Jamestown are my favorite local rides.

Yep, I am towards the northern part of Sterling. About halfway between Rt 6 and Rt 14/14A, with the Foster RI border 200' east of my driveway. I was born and raised in RI and work there so despite my CT address I am still a RI boy.

I ride a yellow '05 GS (see avatar) so if you see me around give a wave. What do you ride?

One thing, though, is that I don't do a whole lot of that typical Sunday-morning pleasure riding. I am probably not the guy you want if you're looking for riding buddies. I do about 6K miles per year and a lot of it is errands and commuting to work, with occasional short GS blasts on local dirt roads and trails when the stars are in alignment. Always one big trip every summer which puts 1/3-1/2 of my total annual mileage into one week. Not your typical riding patterns, I'm afraid.

But tell you what... I hear GREAT things about the Ocean State BMW Riders club. Check them out!

:eek

Did he find someone else to beat with a baseball bat?

Well, since he completed his five-year stint in a federal prision on racketeering charges, he's a somewhat more subdued man. I don't think he's wielding the baseball bat at his ex-wife's boyfriends anymore. He's doing radio and TV now. Google him - he's got a Wikipedia page.

Westerly RI

When I was in High School, I learned not to try to sleep on the beach in Westerly, RI.

The local police pointed out the error of my ways.

Good beaches!!!!!:p

I ride a 2002 red RT.
Most of my riding is what I can squeeze in after work or weekends.
This year I planned out the rallys for the year otherwise I would not get to any.

I will check out the RI club and maybe sneak in on one of their rides.
Don't forget the Charter Oak Rally on Memorial Day weekend.
Hope to see you there!

If anyone is going to Johnson City from this area I am looking for someone to ride with.
I won't be leaving until that Thursday however.

I ride a 2002 red RT.
This year I planned out the rallys for the year otherwise I would not get to any.

Hope to see you there!

If anyone is going to Johnson City from this area I am looking for someone to ride with.

There are quite a few riders from the Ocean State club going to the rally. Come by a meeting or a ride and you may find someone going at the same time.

there is a couple in danielson that both ride BMWs . His name is John and he has a small BMW airhead repair shop out of his garage. His name for this site is bikpaintr, I think they both ride quite a lot. It could be them you see.

there is a couple in danielson that both ride BMWs . His name is John and he has a small BMW airhead repair shop out of his garage. His name for this site is bikpaintr, I think they both ride quite a lot. It could be them you see.

That would be John and Andrea Borella. I've met John a few times; he's hosted Yankee Beemer rides from his home/shop (which is quite a bit more than a garage!). Great guy. I've not had the pleasure of meeting Andrea yet.

I ride a 2002 red RT.

Hope to see you there!

I am in Putnam, CT and will be going to both national rallies. I'll be leaving Weds morning with a good friend for the MOA . Have you been to the Vanilla Bean on a weekend? Lots of riders there!

60 degrees and sunny today. Club ride today and I'm stuck at work. :doh, Oh well at least I can ride to work, so its not a total loss. I did get out last Wednesday for a short ride to Ocean Drive Newport. As for the state of Rhode Island, same as last year but deeper in dept.

Attachments

• Newport 3-18-10 006-1.jpg
    Newport 3-18-10 006-1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 57
60 degrees and sunny today. Club ride today and I'm stuck at work. :doh, Oh well at least I can ride to work, so its not a total loss. I did get out last Wednesday for a short ride to Ocean Drive Newport. As for the state of Rhode Island, same as last year but deeper in dept.

Wow.. time flies.. I used to live and work in Rhode Island.... Roy remember when you used it work? :dance

See you at tonights meeting at Richards Pub

Not much going on if this thread is still alive.
I looked and nobody commented that RI has the longest states name.
The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations is it's real name.

Back