• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Ride-2-Q again this year?

Ian,

This sound interesting!

I'd like to have a heads up on this ride. I live down here in Sandersville, GA and it's quite a ride to Atl. Is there a place/time to meet up w/ this crew near the N. GA mountains?

If its not too much trouble, if I miss you-all at the meet up, I'm ok w/ that, you just keep on gettin' it. I'll find my way home.:D Please advise.

hey len - i ride through sandersville as i take the back way to bike week... great little town.

if you'd like to ride-2-Q together, the best place to meet up is probably clayton, ga.

ian

yeah, i assumed many will say this.

i sure wish it weren't the case, because the weather is perfect that weekend, every year. :banghead

So shouldn't the GA Mtn Rally be held that weekend to insure good weather? :D

No question about it. That was a great cake!:thumb:thumb

for those who weren't there, that stainless steel container was full of hot water. you dipped the knife into the water so that is sliced cleanly through the cake.

ol' cal came prepared! :eat

I missed the Ride-2-Q last year due to work, but if the date fits in with my business schedule this year, I will be there!
I did get up to Sparta and had some of that Windy Hill BBQ back in mid December though.
Speaking of the Georgia Mountain Reggata, where is the best BBQ in that area?

Maybe we can arrange the ride-2-q around the Asheville Bikefest that was just announced. May 13-16

Wade

Maybe we can arrange the ride-2-q around the Asheville Bikefest that was just announced. May 13-16

Wade

hey, that sounds like a good idea.

there just so happens to be a really good Q joint right near the rally.

http://www.12bones.com/ (Arden location... open on Saturday :thumb )

if we want to move the campground east a bit, i know a *very* good spot near Hot Springs that is smack dab in the middle of some of the best riding in the area.... :evil

ian

I found out about 12 Bones a few months ago. Two thumbs up for sure!
The Asheville area is blessed with good to excellent Q joints.

ok... it's time to get serious here... let's set a date and location.

after further reflection, i believe the ironhorse lodge may be a tad too far west for truly great Q (i could be wrong...).

i know of two good options (well, i know of more, but here are two good options!) for the magic combination of ridin', eatin' and campin'

Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground

or...

Rocky Bluff Campground near Hot Springs.

Date: Wade's idea of May 14-15 sounds good to me... not too hot and hopefully not too rainy.

what say ye? :ear

ian

ps => this puts us closer to an *outstanding* place we missed last year: Phil's Dream Pit BBQ. (1 exit north of last year's rally...) i had the most excellent dry-rub ribs there.... :eat

pps => we're also close to The Fiddlin' Pig....

Hey, I think I could actually make it May 14-15.:clapI'll put it on my calendar, and keep an eye on this thread. I love Q.:eat

Ashville is only a couple hour ride for me but I'll be in Florida May 14th to watch a Shuttle Launch

Big Mountain BBQ in Waynesville is probably the best in Haywood County. If 12 Bones is an option and the times work, defintely two thumbs up!

Big Mountain BBQ in Waynesville is probably the best in Haywood County. If 12 Bones is an option and the times work, defintely two thumbs up!

good lord, we have a place in clyde and i haven't heard about this place...

do tell more.... :ear

ian

good lord, we have a place in clyde and i haven't heard about this place...

do tell more.... :ear

ian

Exit 100 from Smoky Mountain Parkway (23/74) go towards Hazelhood, about a block past the first traffic light on the right. Excellent brisket and all the other traditional BBQ dishes around here. Family restaurant (doesn't serve any alcohol - no brown bagging either). Open for lunch and dinner. They also do a very good job catering. We have hired them for the bank several times.

They were originally next to Clyde's restaurant but moved when all the development was going on for the WM shopping center.

Future Ride-2-Q destination.

I'm off to Max's season opening barbecue in Brunswick tomorrow. So this gets posted tonight. Curtis Barbecue is the destination but be sure to visit the website since it has so many wonderful pictures. Lyman Foss knows Vermont better than the Census Bureau and he highly recommends this destination as one of the best to "pig" out on barbecue in the whole state of Vermont.

59c884b8.jpg
c4752d26.gif

9372b2f5.jpg

0629633c.gif

MENU

RIBS

Full Slab $25.95
Half Slab $13.95
Medium $10.95
Small $6.95
Pork Stuffed Potato $7.95

CHICKEN

Half Chicken $7.95
Breast and Wing $4.00
Leg and Thigh $4.00
Combo* $10.95
(1/4 chicken and small rib)
Chicken Stuffed Potato$7.95

SIDES

Baked Potato with Butter $2.95
(Each additional topping $ .50)
Sour Cream; Chives; Vermont Cheddar Cheese;
Bacon Bits; Mushrooms; BBQ Sauce
Loaded Potato (includes all) $5.95

Small: $1.95 Large: $2.95
Potato Salad
Coleslaw
Macaroni Salad
3- Bean Salad
Veggie of the Day

Baked Beans sm. $2.75 lg. $3.50
Sweet Yams sm. $2.75 lg. $3.50
Fresh Corn on the Cob $2.00
Corn Muffin $1.95
Potato Chips $1.00

Distance from Pownal: 62 Miles
Estimated Time: 1 Hour & 30 Minutes

For more information about today's destination, click here!

908 Route 103 S
(802) 875-6999

Somehow Paul knows all of the good places to eat!

Future Ride-2-Q destination.

Somehow Paul knows all of the good places to eat!

um.... few people from the flatlands realize this, but the northern reaches of the state of mountainia are not exactly known for their q.

:ha

Exit 100 from Smoky Mountain Parkway (23/74) go towards Hazelhood, about a block past the first traffic light on the right. Excellent brisket and all the other traditional BBQ dishes around here. Family restaurant (doesn't serve any alcohol - no brown bagging either). Open for lunch and dinner. They also do a very good job catering. We have hired them for the bank several times.

They were originally next to Clyde's restaurant but moved when all the development was going on for the WM shopping center.

i stopped by Big Mountain last Friday, they moved again, but not too far.

exit 100, head toward hazelwood, take the first left *after* you see a big sign sign for asheville.

79 Elysinia Avenue
Waynesville, NC 28786-2000
(828) 454-0720

and... fwiw, they now have a billboard on US23/74 in the eastbound lane west of town.

i had a brisket sandwich, which was excellent. it was only late afternoon, so i'll have to go back and check out the ribs when they're in full swing.

ian

Last edited:
Back