• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Blueridge Parkway 2012

Careful there now partner, your talking about our two largest cash crops .
They are guarded closely in their natural habitat.:whistle

I had friends tell me "You didn't ride the entire BRP if you didn't ride Skyline DR." I asked if it's part of the BRP why does it not have the mile markers, has a different name and you have to pay to ride it?

No matter what anyone tells you, the BRP goes from mile marker 0 near Waynesboro, VA to mile marker 469 near Cherokee, NC (or vice versa).

To ride or not to ride, that is the question

Since I started this let me explain. This was the question that Ross asked.

So...my fellow adventurers...intrepid explorers...eaters of exotic roadside fare...those who fear neither rain nor roadside flats...

Anybody want to share a favorite road side stop...a cautionary tale...a favorite restaurant...a twisty back road that shouldn't be missed? I'll be riding my GSA and doing my best to avoid the interstates unless there's just nothing to see.

I'd love to hear about your experiences in this area of the country. ~Ross

Now I do not know how much time Ross planned to spend on his trip, but if he is in no hurry and wants to avoid interstate driving then the Skyline drive is an alternative. Yes it is a toll road, yes it is 35 mph, and it is 100 miles long. However, it rides the top of the mountains with some great scenic views and twisty winding road with plenty of wildlife and places to pull over to take pictures and enjoy the view. Now if time and funds are limited then taking 81 is the best route to the Blue Ridge. If time and money are no object then the Skyline drive is a nice ride, also if he likes water then he may want to stop at Luray, VA and ride down the Shenandoah River on a tube, raft, kayak or canoe.
http://www.shenandoahriver.com/Rentalrates.html
Or visit Luray Caverns http://luraycaverns.com/ He was asking for suggestions as to what to do and see on his trip and Virginia has a lot to offer in that respect. And no I do not work for the Virginia department of tourism. We have been to all of these places and had fun doing it.

I had friends tell me "You didn't ride the entire BRP if you didn't ride Skyline DR." I asked if it's part of the BRP why does it not have the mile markers, has a different name and you have to pay to ride it?

No matter what anyone tells you, the BRP goes from mile marker 0 near Waynesboro, VA to mile marker 469 near Cherokee, NC (or vice versa).

The Blueridge Parkway and Skyline Drive meet at the top of Afton Mountain where I-81 passes under the Skyline Drive. Afton Mountain is between Waynesboro and Charlotteville but just up the mountain from Waynesboro. There's a big sign at the beginning of the Blueridge Parkway at mile marker 0 and there is an exit off of I-81 to enter and/or have lunch at the restaurant there.

After creeping along at 45 MPH for a few hundred miles on the Parkway, 35 MPH on the Skyline Drive just doesn't seem worth it. You just turn around and go back down the Parkway as the ride is totally different on the return trip and it seems like you are on a totally different ride. The curves and views are very different.

Coming from the north, I had never imagined skipping the Skyline Drive...I suppose 35mph is kinda slow, but I'm in it for the scenery and soaking up as much of the sights as possible. I'm figuring on a week to work my way down to Deal's Gap and then back home. I definitely appreciate the input I've gotten thus far...I'm taking notes and trying to lay out the perfect array of photo ops. dining opportunities, and twisty roads. I've got my new GoPro Hero and I'm shopping for a GPS as well. A new seat is probably in order as well.

As much as i ride the BRP , I am still finding things I did not see on the last trip. Also agree that riding the reverse of a route is so different it is even better than the last ride.

route 16 is a nice diversion from the parkway especially between tazewell and marion va. If you enjoy technical stuff. also rt 226a at the little switzerland exit off the parkway is fun. and the motels there are motorcyclist friendly.The little Switzerland inn also has a nice restaurant.

hondarider, if you see a GSA with an austrian flag on the windshield riding the opposite way, you may want to stop me for a break. ;)

Must be somewhere in the end of May. We're riding north from Waynesville to Floyd.

I stop at the end of the Parkway and don't get on the Skyline Drive because the speed limit is 35 and they charge you money to ride it.

I agree. Skyline is pretty, but you'll have more fun on the public local roads, albeit at lower altitudes. While BRP can be a fun ride, Skyline is very slow and you'll often get caught behind cars doing less than 25mpg, really!

It is $10.00 for motorcycles, 105 miles long, 35 mph speed limit and we prefer it to Route 81 with it's tractor trailers doing 70 to 80 mph. But that is just the way we roll.

There are many alternatives to 81, which is never an option for me. Local roads can be fun alternatives to Skyline for seeing the sights. If I want to get quickly from NVA on South, I'll choose 29. I can still go 75mph without a worry and not have the trucks. Don't know why I would ride 81, when I really can't get going much faster than on 29.

It is $10.00 for motorcycles, 105 miles long, 35 mph speed limit and we prefer it to Route 81 with it's tractor trailers doing 70 to 80 mph. But that is just the way we roll.

I have a daughter who lives in Norfolk and we sometimes avoid the interstates if we're not in a great rush. If you're heading to Western Virginia, Western North Carolina or East Tennessee and you don't want to fight I-64 & I-81, Rt 58 or Rt 460 are both an excellent alternate route for a nice peaceful ride through the peanut and cotton fields on your end and the mountains on my end. The speed limits range from 55 to 70 MPH.

I appreciate the feedback so far...especially the places to see, eat, and stay...I'm taking lots of notes,

OK...looks like my riding partner is in and we've locked down 20June as our departure date. My goal is to to leave Massachusetts early and make it to Front Royal on the first day...or somewhere close to the start of the Skyline Drive through Shenandoah N.P.

Anybody with a recommendation for a nice place to stay in that area? I don't think we're going to camp as I'm expecting a late arrival after 500 miles or so.

Route 66 and Route 522/340 Exit 6 there is a Hampton Inn. Across 66 there is a Cracker Barrel, Applebee’s, Subway, Starbuck’s, TGI Friday’s, Ledo Pizza, Target and Walmart. Stay on 340 and it will take you right to the Skyline Drive.

Big Meadows

The first night in Shenandoah National Park on the BRP I stayed at Big Meadows Campground and Lodge about 50 miles from Front Royal I believe. I camped, but they have a huge lodge with a restaurant and great facilities for a price. It was a great place to camp, very quiet, great showers and easy to get ice and an onsite laundry room, etc. One of the things that was very cool about Big Meadows Campground is that there were deer all over the place and they didn't seem too freaked out by the presence of people. I was sitting at the picnic table of my camp site drinking my morning coffee and a big buck walked right into my camp site and stood probably 25-30 feet away from me for about 5 minutes......he was magnificent. Naturally when I moved to reach for my camera, he left immediately. Have a great trip. Don

If your bikes run into a mechanical problem, there is an independent BMW shop in Charlottesville, VA, about 1/2 hour from the northern terminus of the BRB and the southern terminus of the Skyline.

The guy who owns it writes tech articles for the RA.

http://www.largiader.com/shop/

If your bikes run into a mechanical problem, there is an independent BMW shop in Charlottesville, VA, about 1/2 hour from the northern terminus of the BRB and the southern terminus of the Skyline.

The guy who owns it writes tech articles for the RA.

http://www.largiader.com/shop/

Thanks! That one's going in my travel notebook along with the lodging and dining recommendations I've received in this thread.:thumb

Back