• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

I am with you on just wanting visual navigation. I have been reading this thread with all the issues/tips and thought that I really do not need the hassle, do I?. Then again, I do not really need to have everything paired together. My Schuberth C4 helmet works with the Sena 20S that I bought for my wife's Shark helmet, for talking. I have SirisuXM music through the dash speakers so I do not need to stream my MP3 music to the helmet (which I do on my ancient 2000 R1200C. HA) Heck, even the Apparel and Accessories mgr where I bought the bike advised against getting the Nav V!; I should wait until "all the bugs are worked out." Say what? Are you not supposed to, at least, try to sell me some things from your store? That is why I was somewhat put-off about getting one. The bike is wired for it, so I may get it eventually.

Until then, I will just keep reading this ever informative thread.

Yes, I agree.. thanks.

... This all seems overly complicated for me. I just want to ride, and don't want all the expense, pairing hassles or intrusion. I don't need music in my helmet, or voice commands, or have a need for rider to rider comms, as I ride solo. But I would prefer a standalone GPS. Is it worthwhile to get the Nav VI just to use as a visual navigation device? Or should I skip it and use my phone and Google Maps? That would not be my first preference but it's an option.

I'm being serious here, haha. Maybe I should stick to paper maps..
I think you need to identify what you are wanting to do and how much of it you want the GPS to do for you.

As others have said, don't be put off by the myriad of folks with issues. Most of these are not pairing a GPS to your comm system. A few pairing your GPS and Phone but not many issues there. The majority are pairing GPS/Phone/Passenger/Music altogether. So if one just wants a GPS with voice directions buy the least expensive Cardo or Sena ($89-$97 at Revzilla) install it on your helmet and pair it to your GPS system. It will be simple, quick and trouble-free.

As for if the Nav-VI is worthwhile, that is a value judgement that is different for each person. If you are just using it for simple quick stuff then, it is definitely overkill. If you are using it along with some/several of its features for detailed routing then that is another matter.

Everyone is different in what they want and what/how they expect their GPS to interact/function. I use mine for multi-day and some week+ rides where my Nav-VI is taking care of a lot of things that Google Maps, Waze, etc., and no phone-based nav system I've tried can come close to competing. So for me it is the Nav-VI, for others, it is Google Maps, and others it is paper maps. It really is a matter of what you want. You could possibly borrow someone's Nav-VI or Nav-V and try it for an afternoon. That won't give you enough time to find all the available features or really get comfortable using it, but it will give you some sense of what it is like.

... One of the benefits of the cellphone navigation is traffic information...
John, that service is available with the Nav-V/VI. Mine is set to do automatic re-routing if the time savings is somewhere around 10-minutes IIRC.

... Just using visual is fine most of the time. You might miss a turn if you don't pay attention. On the other hand, with voice prompts, you can't miss. I must admit that after a while, it can be annoying, specially if you missed a waypoint. LOL
Pat, one thing that can help when just using visual is to set "Off-Route Recalculation" to "Prompted". That way, if you go off your route the screen asks you if you wish to recalculate. This makes sure you are aware that you have gone off route. Sometimes that is on purpose and others it is by mistake and it can save you frustration in knowing that. As for waypoints, you can set your screen to display the Map Button "Skip", which allows you to skip the next waypoint if you wish to. I set my two to display the "Detour" and "Exit Services" Map Buttons as those are the two that I typically want quickly. All of the options can be accessed through the system, but that takes time and the Detour and Exit Services ones are the most time sensitive for me.

Then why are there literally dozens of posts on this meager forum alone with pairing problems. It might, in fact, not be complicated. But if so it is unreliable at best. Or it is relaible but complicated. There are just too many problems it seems.

Globally, a search using Google on "Pairing phone to GPS" returned over 12 million results. So apparently it is complicated or unreliable for quite a few folks.
Paul, as others have said, I wouldn't put much stock in that. While the internet provides us with a ton of very useful information, for every gem there are truck loads of useless info/data and truck loads of inaccurate or completely wrong info/data.

Just look within this Forum for how much is incorrectly phrased or identifed, etc. We are all guilty of it to some degree, but some folks seem to make a habit of asking questions without taking any time to actually think about what they are trying to do. To me, even more daunting is the phenominal number of people asking how to do something when it is obvious they haven't even:
  • made sure they have the current updates loaded
  • read the Quick-start Guide let alone the Users Manual
  • actually tried to follow any direction in the Trouble-shooting Guide

Then there are the questions:
  • worded too vaguely to have any idea of what the actual problem might be
  • important info left out
  • etc., etc.

Don't get me wrong, none of us continuously understands things, does everything properly, etc., but we need to look at what drives the majority 80%+ of the traffic on this topic. It isn't "I have a comm unit and have read, understood and followed the directions (often a big task in and of itself) and the Troubleshooting Guide and just want to pair it to my GPS or Phone but it is not working. Both Sena and Cardo have that stuff down very well. Bringing music into the mix tends to complicate the issue for systems and BMW have done everyone a great disservice with the issues their audio-system creates for any type of meaningful integration.

I've just ordered a new R1250RT and chose to wait several weeks for one to be shipped from the factory without the BMW Audio system rather than be riding the new bike right away off the showroom floor. I didn't want to have to put up with the effort associated with getting everything to work when BMW's audio system is present. YMMV

Very helpful

Thanks Alan, and all, for the replies.. your input helped to put things into perspective as to the levels of functionality and associated complexity. I will probably go ahead and get the NAV VI unit but only use the basic features, and add sound into the helmet for voice guidance. I prefer to keep the requirements and integration effort minimal.

and I really don't want to be getting alerts all the time. .

We just returned from a two week trip to Texas.
The first day I would get a Flood Warning alert every 15 minutes or so.
The 2nd day I got High Wind Warning all day.
After that most of the time riding I had my phone shut off and the GPS on mute.
The only sound I was connected to was the bike to bike intercom with my wife.

We just returned from a two week trip to Texas.
The first day I would get a Flood Warning alert every 15 minutes or so.
The 2nd day I got High Wind Warning all day.
After that most of the time riding I had my phone shut off and the GPS on mute.
The only sound I was connected to was the bike to bike intercom with my wife.

jbinaz, Lee is quite correct about how annoying weather warnings can be from either your phone or your GPS.

However, again, it may be that you don't need to be put off by that. IIRC, as far as weather reports for the Nav-V/VI are concerned they are only present if you "subscribe" using the Garmin Smart-phone Link app on your phone. So if you don't subscribe to the weather alerts section, or if you turn off the notifications within the app, I believe that would avoid that annoyance.

Navigator VI update

Can someone please tell me the latest update version of software for the Nav VI? Having issues with the unit not rebooting after a stop. BMW dealer said to download the latest updated version. They have a few customers experiencing software problems with their Nav VI. Thank you.

Can someone please tell me the latest update version of software for the Nav VI? Having issues with the unit not rebooting after a stop. BMW dealer said to download the latest updated version. They have a few customers experiencing software problems with their Nav VI. Thank you.

I just checked my unit and I have version 5.50 and North American Map 2020.10.

May I suggest doing a factory reset and then connecting to Garmin Express to make sure you have the latest updates.

BMW Navigator VI Factory Reset

Just know "A master reset will erase your saved information and restore the device to the default factory settings. This will include all saved locations, trips, and tracks. If you would like to back up your saved information to your computer... follow this link: Backing up, Restoring, or Transferring Saved Data on Garmin Automotive Devices"

I just checked my unit and I have version 5.50 and North American Map 2020.10.

May I suggest doing a factory reset and then connecting to Garmin Express to make sure you have the latest updates.

BMW Navigator VI Factory Reset

Just know "A master reset will erase your saved information and restore the device to the default factory settings. This will include all saved locations, trips, and tracks. If you would like to back up your saved information to your computer... follow this link: Backing up, Restoring, or Transferring Saved Data on Garmin Automotive Devices"

Thank you Duane. I just checked mine and I have the same version. I must be up to date.

The newest version of Nav-VI Software is now v5.70. I've been away at the DownEast Rally and just got back. Didn't look to see when it was released but I believe it would be within the past week.

The condensed release notes don't suggest it will do anything that would address your issue, but it is best to install it and see.
Nav-VI software v5.70.jpg

Did you follow Duane's advice (1: Backup the device within Garmin Express and 2: Perform Master Reset)? These are the proper steps to helping resolve many issues.

Having said that, I'd like a bit more details on what your issue is exactly as I'm not sure at all that it is a Nav-VI or software issue.

When you say "Having issues with the unit not rebooting after a stop" that leaves a bit of room for interpretation. I'd like to narrow that down.

Specifically:
  1. has the unit stayed on the bike in the factory GPS holder?
  2. is the issue that when you start the bike after a stop, the GPS does not wake up? (Nav-VI does not get turned off when you turn off the ignition, merely goes into sleep mode)
  3. if #2 is correct, do you take the unit out of the holder and press the on/off button on the back to wake it up?
  4. if #3 works then it is unlikely that it is a software issue but rather a connection issue

Some folks have had issues with the electrical connections that I believe the dealerships and Garmin are misdiagnosing as unit issues when they are actually issues with the BMW GPS Preparation Unit.

At the beginning of the riding season here (about 5-6 weeks ago), my Nav-VI started acting up. It would constantly be either rebooting itself or go between being on and sleep mode. The screen was also wandering (map display scrolling from right to left, etc.). I contacted Garmin, sent them a video of the issues and they replaced the unit.

One week ago I tried the replacement Nav-VI my 2014 R1200RT and the scrolling was no longer an issue but the screen blacking out and the unit re-starting was still there. I then placed the replacement Nav-VI on my new 2019 R1250RT and all issues were resolved. I've just returned from riding the R1250RT for 4 continuous days and the replacement Nav-VI worked without any issues at all. Without doing further testing, this would lead me to suspect that the scrolling issue was due to a fault with my original Nav-VI, but that the screen blacking out and the unit re-starting was an issue with the BMW GPS Preparation Unit of the 2014, as that issue was only present on the 2014 using the same GPS on both bikes.

A number of people have reported units that did not "wake up" when the bike was re-started and after being directed to clean the electrical contacts on the back of the GPS and on the BMW GPS Preparation Unit, the issue was resolved. These connections have some exposure to the elements (especially if one doesn't use the GPS Prep Unit blank cover when the GPS is removed) and can be susceptible to oxidation. Electrical contact cleaner and a lint-free rag have been known to resolve these issues a few times.

Nav VI with Sena 20S EVO and Other Rider Intercom

After purchasing a new Nav VI, which Garmin already replaced due to issues with it, I now have it back and have it all paired and set up with the 2018 R120RT. All seems to function well and I can control the Nav from the wheel. On the Nav VI, the iPhone is showing as connected and has blue icons for phone and SmartLink. The Sena 20S EVO is also showing as connected and has blue icons for headset and media. So, from that I take it that all is properly connecting.

I still have to test a few things, but one aspect is bothersome:

Intercom Cutting Out When GPS Direction Audio Comes In
When using the rider-to-rider intercom, any time the other rider talks, the audio is interrupted when the Nav GPS speaks instructions. I had to mute the GPS audio so that our intercom audio does not get interrupted all the time.

Question: Is this by design, or is something still not configured correctly?

I would assume that in a fully functioning setup I can hear the GPS instructions together with the intercom audio from the other rider. What am I missing?

Last edited:
When using the rider-to-rider intercom, any time the other rider talks, the audio is interrupted when the Nav GPS speaks instructions. I had to mute the GPS audio so that our intercom audio does not get interrupted all the time.

I would assume that in a fully functioning setup I can hear the GPS instructions together with the intercom audio from the other rider. What am I missing?

That's how it works with my Nav V and Sena based Coms in our Schuberth C4 helmets.
This is our first intercom setup so it's possible I don't have things setup correct.
On our trip to Texas last month I had the Nav on mute most of the time.

After purchasing a new Nav VI, which Garmin already replaced due to issues with it, I now have it back and have it all paired and set up with the 2018 R120RT. All seems to function well and I can control the Nav from the wheel. On the Nav VI, the iPhone is showing as connected and has blue icons for phone and SmartLink. The Sena 20S is also showing as connected and has blue icons for headset and media. So, from that I take it that all is properly connecting.

I still have to test a few things, but one aspect is bothersome:

That is the default of all the comm device I've had. The Nav interrupts the intercom.
I'm not sure with the Sena 20s but with my Sena 30K, the app on my cell allows you to configure to only partially interrupt the intercom.
It does cut down the sound level to the point I hear my partner but can't really talk. And the partner doesn't hear the gps instructions, just that the sound level drops.

That is the default of all the comm device I've had. The Nav interrupts the intercom.
I'm not sure with the Sena 20s but with my Sena 30K, the app on my cell allows you to configure to only partially interrupt the intercom.
It does cut down the sound level to the point I hear my partner but can't really talk. And the partner doesn't hear the gps instructions, just that the sound level drops.

That would be totally fine and expected, but in my case I cannot hear my wife at all while the GPS instructions are played. Interestingly enough, with the TomTom 550 Rider I had on the previous bike, this worked like a charm and exactly like you described on the 30k, so from that I assume that something else is not configured correctly.

... Intercom Cutting Out When GPS Direction Audio Comes In

That's how it works with my Nav V and Sena based Coms in our Schuberth C4 helmets.
This is our first intercom setup so it's possible I don't have things setup correct.
On our trip to Texas last month I had the Nav on mute most of the time.

As Lee says, I believe that is how it works for the 20S and the Schuberth/Sena SC1 unit.

Not certain, but I seem to recall that the new SRL2, 20S EVO, and 30K went to dual processors which allows for Sena's Audio Multitasking function to work. It allows simultaneous listening to music/GPS/talk/etc., with the volume automatically decreasing the lower priority volume when a higher priority audio begins, and then increase again once you the higher priority has ended. I think GPS is highest priority, as is likely best.

As Lee says, I believe that is how it works for the 20S and the Schuberth/Sena SC1 unit.

Not certain, but I seem to recall that the new SRL2, 20S EVO, and 30K went to dual processors which allows for Sena's Audio Multitasking function to work. It allows simultaneous listening to music/GPS/talk/etc., with the volume automatically decreasing the lower priority volume when a higher priority audio begins, and then increase again once you the higher priority has ended. I think GPS is highest priority, as is likely best.

That's my bad. I failed to state that we have the 20S EVO (I'll correct it in the post further up to keep confusion out). So, with that, it would explain why it worked without issues on the TomTom 550 Rider I had before. The 20S EVO is capable of pairing with two sources. It has got to be a setting in the Sena that's not matched. I had to reset the Sena entirely to get the pairing to work with the Nav 6, the BMW RT, and then the iPhone. I must have missed something in the process...

That's my bad. I failed to state that we have the 20S EVO (I'll correct it in the post further up to keep confusion out). So, with that, it would explain why it worked without issues on the TomTom 550 Rider I had before. The 20S EVO is capable of pairing with two sources. It has got to be a setting in the Sena that's not matched. I had to reset the Sena entirely to get the pairing to work with the Nav 6, the BMW RT, and then the iPhone. I must have missed something in the process...

Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nB3JiPEqpQ

Richard Battles (RKA Luggage) is one of the more knowledgeable folks on this stuff and should be supported for his efforts, like so many others. He has several videos that might be of help and often does Seminars at the MOA Rallies.

Try this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nB3JiPEqpQ

Richard Battles (RKA Luggage) is one of the more knowledgeable folks on this stuff and should be supported for his efforts, like so many others. He has several videos that might be of help and often does Seminars at the MOA Rallies.

Yup. Used Richard's videos to get it all set up and unless I missed something should not have the described issue. I'll go another round resetting everything and starting from scratch with his instructions.

Navigator VI Setting Question

I have a 2018 R1200GS that I just purchased. It has the Garmin Motorrrad Navigator VI mounted from the dealer. I've noticed that if I don't ride it for awhile (1 month) the Garmin will not start up when I start the bike and I have to ride it for awhile before I can turn the bike off and on again to get the Garmin to start. Is the battery just dead on the Garmin and it needs charging? I've had other BMW's with the Garmin GPS and never had this issue.

I have a 2018 R1200GS that I just purchased. It has the Garmin Motorrrad Navigator VI mounted from the dealer. I've noticed that if I don't ride it for awhile (1 month) the Garmin will not start up when I start the bike and I have to ride it for awhile before I can turn the bike off and on again to get the Garmin to start. Is the battery just dead on the Garmin and it needs charging? I've had other BMW's with the Garmin GPS and never had this issue.

It’s happened to me and the Nav’s charge has run down.

Back