• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Anamosa, Iowa

72r60/7

Anamosa, Iowa is the home of the "National Motorcycle Museum". And a fine one it is too !
It is ENE of Cedar Rapids.

400 + bikes. Great collection.

If you are anywhere near while headed to Des Moines and don't go, I would hope you had a pretty good excuse or a note from your mother.

Charlie

p.s. I never thought that in my lifetime I would get to see the real "Roadog". I guess that it was real as who would copy such a thing ? Hats off to Bill Gelbke.

Last edited:
Its a great place. I was there some time ago and was really impressed.
I think they have some sort of admission discount for MOA members.

Agreed, nice place to visit. field of dreams is within striking distance too. Lookin forward to it.

Sent from my C6606 using Tapatalk

Rally Plans

Rally plans are moving along smoothly. Des Moines and Iowa in general gets a bad wrap from some motorcycle enthusiasts, "nothing but long straight roads" is just not true! Des Moines is a really progressive city with a vibrant downtown area full of great restaurants, art, coffee shops and night life. The largest farmer's market in the world and just outside of town opens up into beautiful rolling farm country in every direction. The local riding community is very excited to show MOA members their favorite rides thru the State. The rally chair is working on some great vendors, food, seminars and entertainment.

The Iowa State Fairgrounds are the largest we have ever had, plenty of shaded areas for camping in the grass, more full hook up RV spaces than we can ever use, permanent shower facilities. A huge new air conditioned building that will hold ALL indoor vendors and most seminars in ONE cool building. All outside vendors gathered just outside the building.
Even an on site movie theater!
The average July temperatures are lows in the 70s and highs in the mid 80s. We should have one of the best opportunities to gather in a beautiful part of the country and enjoy all things rally!
Make your plans now to attend and I will see you there!

Lee Harrelson #145612

AMleeharrelson

.............just outside of town opens up into beautiful rolling farm country in every direction. The local riding community is very excited to show MOA members their favorite rides thru the State...................

Hope the locals will start a thread with State routes (both medium and small) for all directions (including cities and towns for easy route reference) for meandering into and out of the Des Moines destination. I want to see the the iconic Iowa. Even if it is only iconic to me.

Leaving Anamosa and headed East on hilly roads and open small farm country was delightful to this Easterner. It was a fine morning. Don't even want to admit to my pronunciation of Maquoketa.

The views, in my East, seem hemmed in by trees most of the year. There, it seemed to be a different sort of open. Even different than the open of the West.

Charlie

Last edited:
Anyone know of nice camping in the in the E.NE. area of Iowa, somewhat near the Museum and/or Field of Dreams vicinity?
I'm thinking this region would make for a quick jaunt into the Rally site on the chosen arrival day.
Thanks in advance...

"travel'n" John

Anamosa

Didn't she just get fired from the White House? Think she will be a seminar presenter at the Rally? :)

Friedle

There use to be a prison not far from museum....maybe MOA can arrange discount tickets for a group visit?

Anyone know of nice camping in the in the E.NE. area of Iowa, somewhat near the Museum and/or Field of Dreams vicinity?
I'm thinking this region would make for a quick jaunt into the Rally site on the chosen arrival day.
Thanks in advance...

"travel'n" John

I have stayed here a few times and always enjoyed my stay. Nice clean spots and you can rent one of the two cabins if that serves you better.

https://www.mycountyparks.com/County/Jones/Park/Central-Park.aspx

Thanks Darrell! That's exactly what I was looking for in a quick layover/camping off the bike in that region.

"travel'n" john

Boot Hill Prison Cemetery

Those of you that might be interested! There is a nice little prison cemetery just outside of town . I found it very interesting.
Follow W. Main St. to Cherry St. then proceed onto Ridge Road which is E 28 county road. Nice little road to continue on for some scenic curvy riding. Enjoy!

If you stay in the Super 8 across the street from the Museum, as many in this Club may, don't let them charge you $1.50 extra over the room rate if you did not ask for or use the Room Safe. Wifey said to mention it when during Check-in and double check before you pay at Check-Out. Many lodging locations, in fact ALL brands of lodging, use this to scum, O excuse me, skim an extra $1.50 from your pocket.

Donate the $1.50 to the Museum if you'd rather not give it to the Motel/Hotels.

You may also, if you choose, Donate the $1 MOA entrance Discount, if they still have that Discount, to the Museum.

What a nice Motorcycle Museum. šŸ˜€
Charlie

If you stay in the Super 8 across the street from the Museum, as many in this Club may, don't let them charge you $1.50 extra over the room rate if you did not ask for or use the Room Safe. Wifey said to mention it when during Check-in and double check before you pay at Check-Out. Many lodging locations, in fact ALL brands of lodging, use this to scum, O excuse me, skim an extra $1.50 from your pocket.

Donate the $1.50 to the Museum if you'd rather not give it to the Motel/Hotels.

You may also, if you choose, Donate the $1 MOA entrance Discount, if they still have that Discount, to the Museum.

What a nice Motorcycle Museum. ��
Charlie

Once upon a time, long long ago, not every business tried to scam people out of a few extra dollars because they could. Not so anymore it seems. I do appreciate this heads up. But, my advise would be a little different than that quoted above. My advice would be find a different motel that is not out to scam you. That apparently means a different town than Anamosa. YMMV

If you stay in the Super 8 across the street from the Museum, as many in this Club may, don't let them charge you $1.50 extra over the room rate if you did not ask for or use the Room Safe. Wifey said to mention it when during Check-in and double check before you pay at Check-Out. Many lodging locations, in fact ALL brands of lodging, use this to scum,

The safe charge has been around a long time.
I found it did not help to mention the safe at check-in, you had to make sure to tell the clerk before checking out you had not used the safe.
This was a problem for me when staying at the same place several weeks or months for work.

The safe charge has been around a long time.
I found it did not help to mention the safe at check-in, you had to make sure to tell the clerk before checking out you had not used the safe.
This was a problem for me when staying at the same place several weeks or months for work.

Yes, but! A rip off is a rip off. Buyer beware, or go elsewhere. Iowa City with bookoo motels is not that far away.

Back