• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Second set of spoked wheels for 2012GS

brownie0486

Just picked up a second set of spoked wheels for the 1200GS cam-head and they should arrive later this week. They need rotors installed. Looking at Galfer presently, but wanted learned members recommendations on rotors purchase for both front and back, and anything else I might need to have a full second set of wheels and tires ready to be swapped out.

Any issues with using the calipers/pads that are on the bike now [ compatibility issues? ]

What's the best route to go on this? Can I buy them and install them myself or is this something that I should have my mechanic delve into. I just had a rear Galfer put on the bike after I warped it on the way home from Ak. a few months back.

The rear rotor on the camhead is not attached to the wheel, it remains with the final drive, so nothing to do for the rear. On the fronts, I haven't seen Galfers for the front except for the water cooled GS's. I ended up using Brembo Serie Oro semi-floating rotors on the front. If you don't have it, the new front will need an ABS sensor ring. Calipers and pads need no changes. Also check that the front wheel bearings are smooth and that the seals are good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Discs-Brembo-Bmw-R-1200-GS-12-2012-Front-Motorcycle-Pair-Brake-ROTOR/362248306716?hash=item5457ae801c:g:V70AAOSw-RFajU~8

The rear rotor on the camhead is not attached to the wheel, it remains with the final drive, so nothing to do for the rear. On the fronts, I haven't seen Galfers for the front except for the water cooled GS's. I ended up using Brembo Serie Oro semi-floating rotors on the front. If you don't have it, the new front will need an ABS sensor ring. Calipers and pads need no changes. Also check that the front wheel bearings are smooth and that the seals are good.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Discs-Brembo-Bmw-R-1200-GS-12-2012-Front-Motorcycle-Pair-Brake-ROTOR/362248306716?hash=item5457ae801c:g:V70AAOSw-RFajU~8

https://galferusa.com/product/bmw-2012-r-1200-gs-abs-front-disc-df702w

Thanks for the heads up on the sensor ring.

I neglected to include that you will need ten BMW 34 11 7 700 989 bolts for the rotors and a couple of valve stems. I assume that you either do not have TPMS or that you have worked all that out.

Not so sure on your rotor choice. It says "include pins" rather than "includes pins". Is that broken English, or does that mean buy them separately? It also says "solid mount" which, if so, I consider markedly inferior to semi-floating. Solid mount is done on the rear disk without issue because the braking force and heat are much less. I have also, don't know why, never been a fan of wave rotors. Maybe because they have less metal to absorb heat, or because they are so scalloped up that they look brutal to pads. Finally, they would cost a bit more than the Brembos.

ETA: Looking at the Galfer installation .pdf the discs are semi-floating and the bobbins are included. So no worries there.

https://galferusa.com/static/files/downloads/BMW%20Rotor%20Buttons%20Installation.pdf

Last edited:
I neglected to include that you will need ten BMW 34 11 7 700 989 bolts for the rotors and a couple of valve stems. I assume that you either do not have TPMS or that you have worked all that out.

Not so sure on your rotor choice. It says "include pins" rather than "includes pins". Is that broken English, or does that mean buy them separately? It also says "solid mount" which, if so, I consider markedly inferior to semi-floating. Solid mount is done on the rear disk without issue because the braking force and heat are much less. I have also, don't know why, never been a fan of wave rotors. Maybe because they have less metal to absorb heat, or because they are so scalloped up that they look brutal to pads. Finally, they would cost a bit more than the Brembos.

ETA: Looking at the Galfer installation .pdf the discs are semi-floating and the bobbins are included. So no worries there.

https://galferusa.com/static/files/downloads/BMW%20Rotor%20Buttons%20Installation.pdf

Tires are already mounted, but I'm going to have 90 degree valve stems installed like I have on the pair I ride now. My mechanic doesn't have issues with Galfer rotors quality or being used on the GS. I get the wheels Thursday, so they go to him late afternoon after they arrive. He'll order what he needs to complete the wheels so they are just swapped out without issue and add the 90 degree valve stems.

The seller is sending bolts with the package but I won't know if I'll use them, that will be up to my mechanic what he thinks best.

I did ask him about the floating rotor issues, and he said the same thing, the Galfers are semi floating and will work fine up front. Like you, I'm not keen on the wave design of the rotors, but my present rear has the same Galfer now, being replaced with that after I got back from Ak a few months ago where I warped the oem.

Thanks for the heads up on everything.

Back