• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

The Sedalia 1000

rob nye

Ritalin Poster Boy
Greetings,

On behalf of the Iron Butt Association I am delighted to announce the Sedalia 1000.

For anyone attending the BMW MOA International Rally in Missouri later this year, we are pleased to announce the Sedalia 1000 long distance challenge. This is a special SaddleSore 1000 ride (1000 miles in 24 hours) organized and sanctioned by the Iron Butt Association especially for the Rally.

The Sedalia 1000 is four different rides. Two of the rides start from locations east of the really and two rides start from Denver but use different routes to ensure riders meet the requirements of a SaddleSore 1000.

The Sedalia 1000 allows riders to begin their ride between 12:01 a.m. Saturday, July 14th and 11:00 a.m. Thursday, July 19; however, riders must finish in Sedalia 24 hours after they begin and no later than 11:00 a.m. Friday, July 20.

In an effort to simplify the documentation requirements, participants will be starting from one of three locations: Scranton, PA, Jacksonville, FL or Denver, CO.

Finishers will receive a distinctive certificate worthy of framing, as well as other Iron Butt Association gifts at a unique Pizza Party ceremony. Founded by Iron Butt Rally veterans during Daytona Bike week, the Pizza Party is an IBA custom steeped in tradition. Mike Kneebone, the IBA Chairman, assisted by Long Distance legends Paul and Voni Glaves will host the party and personally present each finisher with his/her certificate.

Pre-registration will be required in order to participate in this special event. We will announce the details, once finalized on the MOA forum. Registration will open as soon as possible.

Feel free to post any questions or if you prefer email me directly.

We look forward to seeing you in Sedalia.

Ride far safely,

Rob Nye

Last edited:
in state 1000

I live a mere 180 miles from Sedalia. How about offering a special "within-state" award for those in Missouri who might like to do a SS1000?

I live a mere 180 miles from Sedalia. How about offering a special "within-state" award for those in Missouri who might like to do a SS1000?

I don't know if we can make an in-state work but we can definitely figure out a loop that starts and finishes at the rally site. That was a popular ride in Bloomsburg.

I don't know if we can make an in-state work but we can definitely figure out a loop that starts and finishes at the rally site. That was a popular ride in Bloomsburg.

A route entirely in MO and mostly on 4 lanes could be as follows starting in Sedalia.
50 west to 71 (Lee's Summit)
71 south to 44 (Carthage)
44 east to 65 (NE Springfield, MO)
65 south to 60(SE Springfield)
60 east to 55 (Sikeston)
55 north to 270 (Mehville)
270 west/north to 70 (Marlyn Heights)
70 west to 61 (Wentzville)
61 north to 36 (Hannibal)
36 west to 65 (Chillicothe)
65 south to Sedalia (Sedalia)

Following that route from the Fair Grounds and back is 1000 miles.

I'm not an iron butt rider but I know the MO highways very well.

I hope that helps.

A route entirely in MO and mostly on 4 lanes could be as follows starting in Sedalia.
60 east to 55 (Sikeston)

I hope that helps.

I would agree that this is an excellent route. If you move the next to last "checkpoint" west on 36 from Chillicothe to Cameron, then head back to Sedalia, the mileage increases to around 1040, which gives a bit of cushion. Also you can go around the south side of Springfield on the James River Expressway which shoots you out on 60 east, a better route than around the north side of town.

The last leg could be done in a couple of different ways, south on I-35 to KC, then east on 70 to 65, or you could backtrack from Cameron on 36 to 65 then south. Mileage either way is not much different, just depends if you want to avoid the city traffic. I think corner documentation at Cameron would provide sufficient proof under the IBA guidelines.

60 east to 55 (Sikeston)

I hope that helps.

A route such as this would require a gas station or other business that can provide an electronic receipt showing city, state, time and date would be difficult, plus it would require 13 receipts and 11 stops. Not a good plan for a first time SaddleSore.

As I said I am going to come up with a route that starts and finishes at the fairground but it will not entirely in MO.

I would agree that this is an excellent route. If you move the next to last "checkpoint" west on 36 from Chillicothe to Cameron, then head back to Sedalia, the mileage increases to around 1040, which gives a bit of cushion. Also you can go around the south side of Springfield on the James River Expressway which shoots you out on 60 east, a better route than around the north side of town.

The last leg could be done in a couple of different ways, south on I-35 to KC, then east on 70 to 65, or you could backtrack from Cameron on 36 to 65 then south. Mileage either way is not much different, just depends if you want to avoid the city traffic. I think corner documentation at Cameron would provide sufficient proof under the IBA guidelines.
The only reason I did not include James River Expressway was because I thought it had stoplights.

four stops

Sedalia to
St Joseph to
Hannibal to
Sikeston to
Carthage to
Sedalia.

Comes in at 1038 miles or so. If riders trackback to Springfield it will keep them on four lane all the way (it may cost them and extra 14 miles or so.) They will skirt the outside of St Louis. Or do it the other direction (recomended due to wild life.)

A route such as this would require a gas station or other business that can provide an electronic receipt showing city, state, time and date would be difficult, plus it would require 13 receipts and 11 stops. Not a good plan for a first time SaddleSore.

As I said I am going to come up with a route that starts and finishes at the fairground but it will not entirely in MO.

I believe that this general route could be proved under the IBA rules by receipts from these corners: (in other words, can you find any route between these corners that is less than 1000 miles?)

Sedalia Start and Finish

1. South suburban Kansas City area
2. Carthage, Mo
3. Sikeston, Mo
4. Hannibal, Mo,
5. Cameron, Mo

Intermediate stops would be at the discretion of the rider.

24 hour fuel is available at all of these corners, or within a very short distance.

I believe that this general route could be proved under the IBA rules by receipts from these corners: (in other words, can you find any route between these corners that is less than 1000 miles?)

Sedalia Start and Finish

1. South suburban Kansas City area
2. Carthage, Mo
3. Sikeston, Mo
4. Hannibal, Mo,
5. Cameron, Mo

Intermediate stops would be at the discretion of the rider.

24 hour fuel is available at all of these corners, or within a very short distance.

This one looks pretty good!

To make it work someone needs to obtain a computer generated receipt from the following locations.

1) A Conoco station in Lees Summit, MO. This is on NW Chipman Rd which is off SR50 just south of the junction of SR50 and I 470.
Lat / Lon is N38 55.767 W094 24.665

2) The Rhodes 101 Stop on SR61 just north of SR62 in Sikeston, MO.
Lat / Lon is N36 53.016 W089 34.852
OR a 24hr gas station at exit 66 or 67 on I 55

3) SBJ Fuels inc (Shell Station) on N Walnut St (US 36B) in Cameron, MO.
Lat / Lon N39 44.983 W094 14.077

If we can get someone to ride to the above stations and send me a copy of a receipt from the pump I would appreciate it very much. If there aren't receipts at the pump the station needs to be manned 24/7 and be able to provide computer generated receipts.

Thanks very much!

Best,

Last edited:
In state Missouri SS

Rob I will be happy to check out the Lee's Summit and Cameron stations this weekend and check for good reciepts. I do have a pretty good idea what to look for.:) I live close by, only about 75 miles from Sedalia. I will report back.

Rob I will be happy to check out the Lee's Summit and Cameron stations this weekend and check for good reciepts. I do have a pretty good idea what to look for.:) I live close by, only about 75 miles from Sedalia. I will report back.

Yes I bet you do have a good idea what to look for. :)

Thanks for the help.

And If Done Two-Up?

on a 20 year old K....pulling a trailer...with two 'seniors' on board.... after already riding 1,300 miles to get there. :laugh Why do it all the 'easy way'? :whistle We may consider this from PA. - Bob

on a 20 year old K....pulling a trailer...with two 'seniors' on board.... after already riding 1,300 miles to get there. :laugh Why do it all the 'easy way'? :whistle We may consider this from PA. - Bob

If you do it two up your rock, plus you can get a special certificate!

:EDIT Your 20yr old K bike is an advantage, btw. Trailer? Not so much. ;)

If you do it two up your rock, plus you can get a special certificate!

:EDIT Your 20yr old K bike is an advantage, btw. Trailer? Not so much. ;)

Sounds like a perfect Iron Butt HOTEL to me ; )

Whatever trips your trigger :whistle

Voni
sMiling

Sounds like a perfect Iron Butt HOTEL to me ; )

Whatever trips your trigger :whistle

Voni
sMiling

LOL, we've done a couple of 18 hour days (one on a /5 and the other on the K1100) plus many 12 hour stints. Sure got to REALLY like each other though! :love Now if we could only get a faultless and wireless (on board) communications system. No matter, we ride well together so we'll give this idea a bit of serious thought. - Bob

Last edited:
Tourunigo

This one, Sedalia 1000 is "official"... IBA blessed with Rob Nye as coordinator.
And I dont know why Scranton @ 1071mi. The Bloomsburg "motel" interchange
along the route allows 1008 miles? You could ask :hug
flyhi2cfar

Back