• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Scammers using the BMW MOA Flea Market

When you are bored this winter, go to this site http://www.419eater.com/html/letters.htm and watch people scam the scammers. Very funny and amazing what these guys can get the scammers to do. If I didn't ride a bike so much and didn't have too much to do, I think I would like scamming these low life scammers. Take a look and have a laugh.

Ron

very interesting site and fun reads. I wonder if a person playing that game and sending so many e-mails back and forth if the scammers can find a way to hack into your computer. If not , I might send a few e-mails back to scammers just for fun

very interesting site and fun reads. I wonder if a person playing that game and sending so many e-mails back and forth if the scammers can find a way to hack into your computer. If not , I might send a few e-mails back to scammers just for fun

What a hoot reading those emails ! Wish I had thought of it when I got some of those emails from the scammers a few years ago.

He is using the name "Martin Audley" now.

Martin has offered to sell me a type 2 bag. I googled him and found a scam alert, then came here to report him. Western Union or Moneygram and 4470 phone number.

Whew!

Scammer is still at work!

I got this email today:

This is Bob Sterling from the United Kingdom.You placed a Wanted Ad
over the Internet and i still have for sale in good and excellent
condition.You can ring me on +447024051752 OR send me an email on
bobsterlinggraft@gmail.com.

Cheers!!!!!
Bob Sterling
Buttercups Cottage, The Row, Hartest, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP29 4DJ

*particularly funny is his email address: bobsterlinggraft@gmail.com

Has "Graft" right in the address. Anyway, I read about this a couple of days ago, so thanks everyone for the heads up warning on this scammer.

I got email from this guy?:

Andrew Norwich andrewnorwichh@gmail.com

Hello Mate,

This is Andrew from the United Kingdom.Kindly let me know if you
still need to purchase item as stated in your ad as I have for sale.
Condition is good and excellent.You can reach me on +44702 406 1480

Many Thanks
Andrew Norwich
Manchester,United Kingdom.

I did ignore him,to much risk.

Stupid Scammers

Here is the email he sent me and below is my reply. Funny, I still haven't heard back from him!

> This is Bob Sterling from the United Kingdom.You placed a Wanted Ad
> over the Internet and i still have for sale in good and excellent
> condition.You can ring me on +447024051752 OR send me an email on
> bobsterlinggraft@gmail.com.
>
> Cheers!!!!!
> Bob Sterling
> Buttercups Cottage, The Row, Hartest, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP29 4DJ

Great, good to hear that! Send me the items by using DHL overnight services and when they get here, I will let you know if I like them or not and send you money if I do. If I don't like them, you can send me money to ship them back. Put them in the mail right now, so I can have them as soon as possible.

Way to go Ted!

:type I got an email from the same jerk(s) the other day and I received a warning from Ted today. Here we go:

--
This is Bob Sterling from the United Kingdom.You placed a Wanted Ad
over the Internet and i still have for sale in good and excellent
condition.You can ring me on +447024051752 OR send me an email on
bobsterlinggraft@gmail.com.

Cheers!!!!!
Bob Sterling
Buttercups Cottage, The Row, Hartest, Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk, IP29 4DJ

What a bunch of undesirables! I never reply to rediculous ads or emails/etc... Too many scumbags prey on the innocent of the world. They will get their just rewards, it would be nice to see it on youtube! :p

Ted, thanks for keeping an eye on things! I am vigilant, but might miss one here and there. Great club, forum and people here! :german

Pichler Parts wanted ad in Flea Market

Thanks Ted,
The scammer tried to contact me also. English sounded to fishy so just e-mailed back. Did my homework also and decided not to do business when he contacts me back.
Ted your e-mail to me even spooked me. If you hadn't pointed to the forum thread I would not have responded even to you. Your e-mail address looked fishy.
Thanks for the warning and its nice to see a low member number. Looks like you are ahead of me by a bit.
My number is #75950
It never hurts to be careful!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again
Dino

Seems he is/they are shifting gears a bit... New style of initial contact that uses an auto-script to pull the first few lines of the item description in the e-mail:

To: {you}
Subject: {first few lines of the WTB ad inserted here}

Hi,

As the title says... if you're still interested in purchase do email
me at: mulliganjim851@gmail.com

thanks,
Jim.

I always check my Spam folder to make sure it hasn't caught something that is valid. This morning Andrew Morgan sent a message titled SPAM.

It appears that name is deemed "trustworthy" and is being used beyond the BMWOA.

Sometimes the consumer can strike back:
http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/index.html

There was also a brilliant story on This American Life about a group that abused these phishers so badly that they almost got them killed. They enticed them to travel into very dangerous regions of Western Africa, essentially a war zone.

I got scammed!

Yes...i hate to admit it, but I just realized i got scammed. I completely fell for it and sent the money too. I feel horrible...so stupid!

Here is the email I got in response to my want ad:

Hello,

This is Gerald Townsend from Liverpool, Merseyside,England.I am
sending an Email in respect of your wanted placed over the internet.I
still have for sale and condition is good and excellent.

You can ring me on (0044) 7024086536 or 7024085713.

Regards
Gerald Townsend
Altcar Lane, Formby, Liverpool, Merseyside, L37 6AU

Sorry to hear this, I am equally sorry to say you shouldn't feel bad because quite a few others are in the same boat.

I think if I could do one thing to help stop this it would be to put:

IF YOU ARE ASKED TO USE WESTERN UNION OR MONEYGRAM, YOU ARE PROBABLY BEING SCAMMED

in huge red letters in every return screen, confirmation e-mail, etc. that a person gets or sees in the process of looking at or placing flea market ads. Of the many years these guys have been preying on people using the Internet to buy and sell things, the use of Western Union and MoneyGram by scammers are the only constant.

Last edited:
"Condition is good and excellent"

Well, which is it? Hard to believe that even scammers born (educated?) in Nigeria couldn't do better than that.

These guys are still active though hopefully they are getting discouraged. I have been sending emails to new WTB posters manually though I have been talking with Vince and we are trying to automate a warning email that is auto generated when an ad is placed.

Unfortunately these guys can be pretty tricky so please post any new variations. For the most part they all revolve around sending money by wire service such as Western Union or Moneygram - if you are asked to wire money you should immediately become HIGHLY SUSPECT of the transaction.

Todays Scam finally came to an end.

THANK YOU TED!

Hello,
This is Paul Kent from Greater Manchester.I am E-mailing in respectto your Wanted.
I still have for sale in Excellent condition.
Please ring me on +447024022768 or +447024043671.
Best Regards Paul Kent Flat 4, 59, Upper Chorlton Road, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M16 7RQ

On 7/29/12, Matt Leopold <leopold58@msn.com>

Hello Paul,

I just wanted to reply asking if it is a 1977 cluster with a cable driven tach. The rear ratio of my R100 is 33:11 so 3-1. What would your price be for such a gem?Does your phone # include the internation code?

Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:46:05 -0400
Subject: Re: 1977 R100/7 gauge cluster
To: leopold58@msn.com

Hello,

Thanks for the email.Yes i have a 1977 cluster with a cable driven tach for sale.Yes my phone # includes my country which is 44 and maybe you dialed wrongly.I do not have images but condition is good and excellent. I am asking a ₤100GBP and price includes shipping.I will be shipping via Ups or FedEx which ever you prefer and will take payment via Money gram.Whats your shipping address?

Cheers!!!!

To: paulkentt@gmail.com
Subject: RE: 1977 R100/7 gauge cluster
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 07:29:40 -0700
My shipping address is : I gave him my address

I'll give you a call in a little bit. Do you have a PayPal account? I'll pay the 3% extra for there charge.

At this point I knew it was a scam so why not have a little fun:nyah

On 7/30/12, Matt Leopold <leopold58@msn.com>
wrote:
Well I tried to call but I don't have international service. Sorry. If you dont mind we'll have to do this through E-mail. I'll be away from my computer all day so send me your payment details and I'll send you the money. FedEx or UPS is fine. Which ever is easier for you.
Cheers !!!!

On Jul 31, 2012, at 2:33 AM, "Paul Kent" <paulkentt@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

Thanks for the email.I got your shipping address and FedEx is fine with shipping.These are my details for the money gram payment,

Name: Paul Kent
Address:Flat 4, 59, Upper Chorlton Road, Manchester, Greater Manchester, M16 7RQ

Email me the below information from your payment slip to enable me confirm and receive payment

Senders name:
Ref #:

I will email you FedEx tracking details after i confirm and receive payment.

Cheers!!!

Paul Kent

On 7/31/12, Matt Leopold <leopold58@msn.com
wrote:

Hello again Paul.
I would like to see at least one or two pictures of it.
This is a classic machine! I've spent months restoring this bike and it really needs to be right. Please send me at least one picture of it. If it is the correct unit I'll be more then happy to give you up to 250GBP for it!!!

Thanks again for your time
Matt in Seattle

SOOOOOO,

at this point I recieved another e-mail with a picture from a current ebay ad! I was at work so I didn't have time to reply.

BUUUUTTTTT,

I didn't have to because I got a call on my cell at lunch. I told him he was a scam and hung up. He then called 8 times, one after another, after another!!!

I couldnt believe it!!!!

Anyway this was from posting an ad in the Wanted Section. BEWARE EVERYONE there still at it!

Back