• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

04 R11S cracked subframe mounting tab?

valpor1100s

While booking up the battery connections for the battery charger I noticed the upper left side mounting tab was cracked off. How common is this? Can a good welder fix this? How difficult is replacing the frame can you remove the engine and sub assemblies? And bolt them back on?

Find a good welding shop. Replacing the frame is a big job!

You will need to strip parts off so a welder can get in at all angles. You might have to put it on a trailer and start stripping. The rear shock needs to go along with other parts. You might need to remove the tail section, or at least strip parts off. Still a small job in comparison to replacing the frame.

Probably thick enough to run a spool-gun but the clearance to get the spool-gun to do it looks too tight.
I have found about 70% of welding is the actual setup. The better the setup, the better chance of a successful weld job.

CAD6-ECBF-8-F96-4159-8093-DF701-CFBE899.jpg

It's good to have the pictures so as the welder can see how critical the reattachment is going to be. You will probably have to re-drill the hole, even if it is just to clean it out.

D8-FC33-C6-DFA2-4-B02-AB02-636-D590-DF28-C.jpg

OM

Thanks, the guy I have to weld it is a very skilled retired welder. He is the second best welder I have ever met. I am going to try and get with him after the holidays and see what he needs me to prep.

I took mine to a welder and he was very reluctant to weld. Said there was to much magnesium.
Ended up machining a bracket and bolting.
Worked perfectly.

Attachments

• DSC07319.JPG
    DSC07319.JPG
    124 KB · Views: 145
  • DSC07320.JPG
    DSC07320.JPG
    110.9 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC07323.JPG
    DSC07323.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 140
  • DSC07324.JPG
    DSC07324.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 139
More pics

Attachments

• DSC07318.JPG
    DSC07318.JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 136
  • DSC07325.JPG
    DSC07325.JPG
    109.2 KB · Views: 140
  • IMGP3069.JPG
    IMGP3069.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 130
Is this a common problem? I would be horrified to see a cracked and or broken off frame support. This looks like something Evel Knievel could have done to a bike. Good luck and ride safe.

Is this a common problem? I would be horrified to see a cracked and or broken off frame support. This looks like something Evel Knievel could have done to a bike. Good luck and ride safe.
Appears from what I read that if the bike falls over on the left, that can happen.

The right side has two ears I think. I like the way that bracket looks, we have a machine shop at school. I’ll see if they can machine me a bracket. I have found at least one repairs done with a bracket on the upper mount.

The right side has two ears I think. I like the way that bracket looks, we have a machine shop at school. I’ll see if they can machine me a bracket. I have found at least one repairs done with a bracket on the upper mount.

FYI: that bracket was done with a Hacksaw, File and Drill press.
No Milling machine was harmed in the making of this movie.

Back