• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motus Motorcycles

What ever happened to the Motus ?...I used to get emails from them regularly, haven't heard from them in some time now.

They continue to move to release. They have expanded in an interesting way by offering a crate engine. An interesting way to diversify and hopefully keep costs and prices down for the bike.

These are interesting bikes; I hope they make it.

With an unproven machine, a far-flung dealer network, and an MSRP of between $30-36,000 they've got a helluva row to hoe.

One of the sales staff at HD & BMW of Louisville KY told me that the owner was considering adding Motus to their line

cover of their brochure

20130207_141036[1].jpg

On a similar note; whatever happened to Big Dog motorcycles ? The website hasn't been updated since 2010. Motus fits a different niche, but its a niche with plenty of other good, less expensive options that have far better dealer networks, etc. Why would I want to spend $30000 to buy a motorcycle with a two year warranty when I can spend $15000-20000 and get a three year warranty, better dealer network, known track record, etc ?
I don't see Motus succeeding.

Big Dog was foreclosed upon about 2 years ago. BDM Performance Products came out of the ashes. I think they are still in business. http://www.bdmperformanceproducts.com/

Looks like all they do is make parts and accessories to try to keep these things on the road.
I did a day trip several years ago and one of the riders was on a Big Dog. We came to a 90 degree turn in the road and he really had to slow way down to get through it. On another day trip the same bike experienced an alternator failure. The guy was meticulous about the bike, but it was expensive junk.

On a similar note; whatever happened to Big Dog motorcycles ? The website hasn't been updated since 2010. Motus fits a different niche, but its a niche with plenty of other good, less expensive options that have far better dealer networks, etc. Why would I want to spend $30000 to buy a motorcycle with a two year warranty when I can spend $15000-20000 and get a three year warranty, better dealer network, known track record, etc ?
I don't see Motus succeeding.
:blush
My first riding buddies and I said that about BMW when we were straddling Brit bikes and UJMs :laugh

If I had an extra $40,000 hanging around I think I would probably have the MST-R. Hey they even throw in a centerstand

Wow!! With a centerstand for only $35 to $40 large? What a deal!!

Without a centerstand it woulda been a deal breaker.

I do support the idea and goals of an American made motorcycle that isn't an archaic over-weight V-twin that is more fucntional as butt-jewelry than a real bike, as is the case in most other US bike brands other than HD and Victory. But, to price their bikes out of the very hands that stand the best chance to build the company market wise, makes it a very tough proposition to see success.

Polaris was different because they were just starting to ride the popular V-twin wave. AND they had a fairly established dealer/service network, AND the financial backing of a large company very familiar with the recreational powersports market. Even so, it took Victory almost ten years to become solvent. Motus is setting some very high goals. But unless us sport-touring riders can actually buy their bikes versus making a choice for a MUCH less expensive BMW (hmm, that's interesting) from an established manufacturer with a small dealer network, I don't see a faint light glowing in their tunnel.

Maybe Motus should partner with Harley? It would be a unique product not competing directly with anything in Harley's product line. The Buell was that product, but it was too close to a Harley in sharing the Sportster engine.

In the not distant future, we'll be sitting here wondering; "gee, whatever happened to Motus"?

The answer will be: Well, that's too bad, but they tried to sell a bike that did nothing different for more than twice the price of existing bikes and their warranty was no better than what was already out there.

In the not distant future, we'll be sitting here wondering; "gee, whatever happened to Motus"?

Mmmmm... I'm thinkin' their best shot might actually be their crate engine.

1,650cc (100cu.in) / 165 hp (claimed) / torque (not stated) / $10,220

If you consider that after-market 100-116 cu. in. "Harley" style V-twins range anywhere from $6-9,500 the Motus is much more versatile power plant (boat, aircraft, etc.).

Performance-Design-PRI-2012-Posters-Final_Page_1-XL.jpg

kmv4.jpg

Don't discount the people out there with $40,000 to spare . Motus may not be a volume producer but they could fill an elitist niche. They have a lot of quality equipment on those bikes along with a what looks like a well designed V-4 with 185 HP. They could get their foot in the door and produce a more moderately priced general consumer model.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare $40,000. However I do have a great BMW.

I'd love to see them succeed

530 lbs and 31 inch adjustable seat height that will suit a lot short legged people

And my Local (100mi) BMW dealer is going to have them . Maybe a demo ride in my future.;)

Don't discount the people out there with $40,000 to spare . Motus may not be a volume producer but they could fill an elitist niche. They have a lot of quality equipment on those bikes along with a what looks like a well designed V-4 with 185 HP. They could get their foot in the door and produce a more moderately priced general consumer model.

Unfortunately I don't have a spare $40,000. However I do have a great BMW.

I'd love to see them succeed

I think they would have a better chance of getting their foot in the door if they were more accessible to larger part of the demographic. After establishing a name and rep, then they could produce a premium bike. There are plenty of automotive models to support a more conservative strategy. Example; Toyota waited a while to launch Lexus as did Honda/Acura and Nissan/Infinity.

I'm not saying there aren't people out there with $40k to spend on a bike. But that is a small percentage of the small sport-touring market. The HD knock-offs/customs were mostly driven by a whole bunch of "look what I got" kind of buyers that purchase those items on emotional whims, or to piss off their soon to be ex. Riders satisfied with a 50 mile "ride" to show off their polished butt-jewelry.

To go head to head against BMW, Honda, a lot of other VERY capable bikes MUCH less costly, even Harley, you gotta still show real long term value. The Motus may well have it. But to get riders like me to pony up the bucks it needs to be within $5k of a top of the line BMW at most. Has there even been any bike-to-bike comparison tests of the Motus vs the competition?

To go head to head against BMW, Honda, ...heavily snipped

This is the part of the conversation about the bike I don't think we are getting. Do they want to go up against BMW, Honda, Harley or anyone else? Not every small business dreams of growing up to be a big one. Some want to make a living by doing/building something that speaks to them. I am currently working in a small business that expanded from to shops to a local chain. Many, including myself, have made proposals to expand the operation to a regional company with the possibility of more. The core owner group (first and second gen) see the viability of the option to expand but is not interested in having their company or themselves head in that direction.

They may want to be a niche manufacturer. They aren't out of line at all for bikes built by specialty companies. Price some of the chopper shops, Confederate etc. There are buyers with the money and the inclination to spend it on motorcycles. I have my doubts about the number in the sport touring/ touring niche.

In the back of my mind I have wondered if the bike was a way of marketing their engine. The crate option builds on that thought. Is their profit / exit strategy to market their idea and R&D using this vehicle (literally) with a hope of being purchased by a Polaris, Bombardier, H-D or some other larger operation looking for such a power plant to adapt to their product line?

Well I agree, with many here. I don't have $40,000 for a motorcycle, but I also agree, that i hope they succeed. {IMO} any competition improves the industry, and as consumers we can reap the benefit.

Wonder what currently available frame / chassis would be a good host for one of the crate engine ?.......hummmmm

Back