• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

European Delivery

russdeane

I understand that BMW no longer has a European delivery program. I am planning extended touring in Europe and would like to purchase a BMW for such touring. Without European delivery is there another way in which I could purchase a bike? My plan would be to use it for a period of time, store it, and return for later touring. Russ Deane

Why can't you walk into a Dealer and just buy a bike in the country you want to leave it in?

Funny question, Darryl. Do you know what you have to do to buy a vehicle and register it in the U.S.?

Let me see...

you need a valid driver license or ID with confirmation of place of residence in order for the BMV to issue a title
valid insurance for registration

How would a foreigner do this?
And now this is supposed to be easier for a U.S. citizen in a foreign country???:scratch

Funny question, Darryl. Do you know what you have to do to buy a vehicle and register it in the U.S.?

Let me see...

you need a valid driver license or ID with confirmation of place of residence in order for the BMV to issue a title
valid insurance for registration

How would a foreigner do this?
And now this is supposed to be easier for a U.S. citizen in a foreign country???:scratch

As the person that started this thread stated, he wants to buy a bike over there and ride it there.

Why can't you just walk into a dealer and buy a bike, have it insured there. When you are finished with it sell it there!

In Canada you do not have to live here to buy a bike. We have an ownership no titles.

As the person that started this thread stated, he wants to buy a bike over there and ride it there.

Why can't you just walk into a dealer and buy a bike, have it insured there. When you are finished with it sell it there!

In Canada you do not have to live here to buy a bike. We have an ownership no titles.

Because it doesn't work that way in most of the rest of the world.

Darryl, In the US, title IS full ownership. If you have a lease or have a loan on the bike, the party providing the money for you to ride and enjoy keeps the title for ownership till you have paid all your payments.

In Canada, it is same principle, except they call it a lien. The bank will have a lien on your vehicle. As far MOT is concerned, they give you the registration card which is really the ownership till. Problem occurs when you sign the back of the registration when transferring the title/ownership. MOT will not check for liens, neither does the DOT in the US.

So in essence, buying in Canada or the US, is exactly the same. You need a drivers license for registration. How you get your DL is upto the person to get proper documentation to support your residency. A utility bill with your address and a government issued ID will suffice.

There is no such thing as a "title" in Germany. When you register your vehicle you just sign for repsonsibilites (like paying the anual vehicle tax, responsible for accidents/tickets if current operator of vehicle is unknown, vehicle safety).

There is/was a thing called customs plate (Zollnummernschild) which allows you to register a vehicle as a non-resident for 3 months in order to export the vehicle out of Germany after that period.

I would contact Knopf Tours. He knows for sure.

/Guenther (away too long from the 'Vaterland' to still know)

Last edited:
Darryl, In the US, title IS full ownership. If you have a lease or have a loan on the bike, the party providing the money for you to ride and enjoy keeps the title for ownership till you have paid all your payments.....

Although not true 100% of the time in general you will find a lien on any motor vehicle in the United States that has been financed. The only proof that denotes ownership is what is known as a "clear" title; a title that does not contain a lien.

In order for Stefan to ship a bike to Germany, you must provide an original clear title in your name. In other words if it's financed it isn't going to europe.

Back