• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2012 final drive question

brownie0486

I've had the final drive fluid changed twice in 12K miles BUT

The splines/gears [ not sure of the correct terminology ] at the rear of the drive have not been checked to see if the boot has let water in. I don't ride through streams, it saw several days of heavy rain last year heading to Ak. but that's it. 23K on the odo

Should I have my mechanic break it open and check the gears for rust issues. It's been bugging me since I saw one whose gears were completed rusted but had not caused problems for the owner [ yet ].

Is this something I should have checked while it's in for oil change/plugs/valve adjustments? Or is it, as my mechanic states, something rarely checked on a scheduled basis?

Thanks

I've had the final drive fluid changed twice in 12K miles BUT

The splines/gears [ not sure of the correct terminology ] at the rear of the drive have not been checked to see if the boot has let water in. I don't ride through streams, it saw several days of heavy rain last year heading to Ak. but that's it. 23K on the odo

Should I have my mechanic break it open and check the gears for rust issues. It's been bugging me since I saw one whose gears were completed rusted but had not caused problems for the owner [ yet ].

Is this something I should have checked while it's in for oil change/plugs/valve adjustments? Or is it, as my mechanic states, something rarely checked on a scheduled basis?

Thanks

Sure. It only takes a few minutes.

You can easily see surface rust by pulling back on the rubber boot with a strong flashlight. Though not 100% always accurate, if you have a lot of surface rust, you can bet that your splines aren't perfect either.

I periodically pull back the boot to check for water intrusion, just make sure you fully seat the rubber boot when you're done taking a peek. As Paul noted, it doesn't take an experienced home or pro mechanic to get in to check (and they may as well lube it up while they are in).

Back