• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Clutch lever oil

motodan

What oil to use on clutch lever pin and lever/cable end, three in one or a little engine oil? R100RS

I'm not sure I've done my "oiling" of that. I do know that I try and put some silicone lubricant on the hand lever end to ensure that there is rotation at that end and the cable is not bent each application. BTDT when my cable failed at the hand lever while on the road. :banghead As for the transmission end, I'd probably think about more or less the same lubricant used on the transmission input splines...a tacky grease with some moly wheel bearing grease mixed in.

Grease (not oil) the barrel where it is supposed to pivot smoothly in the lever to avoid bending the cable. And while you are at it you might as well grease the pivot too.

Grease (not oil) the barrel where it is supposed to pivot smoothly in the lever to avoid bending the cable. And while you are at it you might as well grease the pivot too.

+1 Grease. Make sure cable is pivoting not hinging...

And the owners manual states oil...grease certainly makes more sense.

Attachments

• 891DA44F-448E-4D98-AF2F-D612AD671FC0.jpg
    891DA44F-448E-4D98-AF2F-D612AD671FC0.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 107
Last edited:
White lithium grease seems to work well at those pivots.
I think it is more resistant to getting washed off.

grease

When I bought my first airhead back a long time ago, I greased the barrel of the clutch lever a couple of times only to find out the grease washed off or attracted grit from the road. I should have written I have never greased since then, instead of never greasing.

I have 37 years and 248K miles on my bike still running and using the stock lever. I understand the point of greasing things but sometimes, as I found it can be counter productive in some cases.

Take it or leave it, that is my experience, Cheers, St.

When I bought my first airhead back a long time ago, I greased the barrel of the clutch lever a couple of times only to find out the grease washed off or attracted grit from the road. I should have written I have never greased since then, instead of never greasing.

I have 37 years and 248K miles on my bike still running and using the stock lever. I understand the point of greasing things but sometimes, as I found it can be counter productive in some cases.

Take it or leave it, that is my experience, Cheers, St.

This is more about cable end than the lever. You still on same cable?

Picture

So I am again going goofy with reading or the picture posted of the clutch lever just showed up. I am wrong in assuming you all were talking about the transmission end of the cable, the "clutch lever". But you were apparently talking about the "clutch lever". Brain fade on my part.

I DO grease the hand clutch lever pivot points with a good water resistant grease. I DO NOT grease the transmission clutch lever at all. I have during times of service, removed the lever on the transmission and regressed the sleeve in my RT. On my RS, there is a grease fitting and I grease it from time to time. But the end of the cable gets no grease. I am still running with the original hand clutch lever and the original transmission clutch lever.

I have never had a pivot point wear out on a clutch lever. Cable replacement has always been due to either internal cable wear or stretch or breaks. Rubbing wear on the ends has never been a problem.

Does that confuse things more? St.

If the pivot is seized and doesn't allow the cable to move freely through the arc of the lever movement, eventually the cable will break at that point
Woodgrain

Back