• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nav V stuck in Year 2000

Thanks for this information Lee. From the Garmin website, here's a little more technical stuff but it seems to be a bit old:

View attachment 76256

John, could you ask Garmin if an e-mail address could be provided to send the info for incorrect NAV V date/time? It seems to me this would be a better way to insure that Garmin had the correct info needed (mainly users' e-mail address & unit serial #).

John, could you ask Garmin if an e-mail address could be provided to send the info for incorrect NAV V date/time? It seems to me this would be a better way to insure that Garmin had the correct info needed (mainly users' e-mail address & unit serial #).

Garmin does not make it transparent....you need to go to their support site, click on any of the preprogrammed problem links and you will finally see the email button down at the lower right of that page. For example, try this link and click on one of the problem buttons.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=118565&tab=topics&topicTag=region_deviceerrormessage

Garmin does not make it transparent....you need to go to their support site, click on any of the preprogrammed problem links and you will finally see the email button down at the lower right of that page. For example, try this link and click on one of the problem buttons.
https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?productID=118565&tab=topics&topicTag=region_deviceerrormessage

Thanks for posting that Robert. Turns out that the NavV is not the only system affected:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS_Week_Number_Rollover

If you have this problem, perhaps you could restrict your riding to the mid west. They have always been 20 years behind either coast. :wave:dunno

Friedley

If you have this problem, perhaps you could restrict your riding to the mid west. They have always been 20 years behind either coast. :wave:dunno

Friedley

Indeed that is true. Behind in corruption. Behind in crime. Behind in incivility.

But back on topic, where does the Nav V display the date? I have never seen a date on any of my many GPS devices since 1998. But I never looked for it either.

How far to the waypoint: GPS. What is the date: Luddite wristwatch

But back on topic, where does the Nav V display the date? I have never seen a date on any of my many GPS devices since 1998. But I never looked for it either.
You can find the date in the "World clock" and the "Where I've been" apps. Time stamps on tracks also use the gps date.

I now need to amend my earlier comment about the date. I did find the date on the World Clock display on both my Zumo 660 and Voni's Zumo 660 (like the Nav IV I think). Garmin is truly the land of the weird. Voni's 660 displays today's date, November 18, 2019. My 660 displays April 3, 2000. :scratch :banghead Both units show the same operating system - 5.10.

Since I didn't even know they displayed the date I don't guess it will bother me a lot.

Last edited:
I now need to amend my earlier comment about the date. I did find the date on the World Clock display on both my Zumo 660 and Voni's Zumo 660 (like the Nav IV I think). Garmin is truly the land of the weird. Voni's 660 displays today's date, November 18, 2019. My 660 displays April 3, 2000. :scratch :banghead Both units show the same operating system - 5.10.

Since I didn't even know they displayed the date I don't guess it will bother me a lot.

As always, when in doubt just follow Voni! :dance :D

Best,
DeVern

Interesting thread ....

I do not have a Nav V, but for kicks last night I checked my Garmin Nuvi 550, which I purchased around Christmas 2011.
I subsequently purchased the lifetime maps update, and do that as well as updating BaseCamp and other unit updates at least once a year.

When I checked the World Clock, it showed 9:55 pm on April 3, 2000. It now shows 9:18 am on April 4, 2000.
I had never looked at the date on the unit before and there appears to be no way to reset or change the date.

Looks like I did not get lucky

Received the replacement today. Checked that it had a 2019 date. It was 2019. Wrong day and time but that was to be expected since the battery needed to be reconnected.

On to the update: No firmware update needed for the replacement unit. The maps needed to be updated, as well as some obscure features for Fiji and Macedonia and other places I will not be taking my motorcycle to visit.
After a charge on the battery, I turned it on, got a satellite connection and had the time updated. Checked World Clock and ..... I am back to the year 2000.

What was the point of them doing an RMA and replacement?
On top of that, the refurbished unit they sent me thinks it is a new setup every time I turn it on. It asks me to Accept their voluminous User Agreement. I do. And the next time I turn it on, it goes through the same routine. That will get old very quick. I should have kept my perfectly functioning Year 2000 unit instead of getting a "new" imperfectly functioning Year 2000 unit.

Unless Garmin provides a correct firmware update, the solution is simple: Turn off the automatic update setting on your bike, to avoid bringing in a bogus date. Also, I do a lot of commuting to work on my bike, which involves riding during sunrise and sunset times. The color mode will NOT properly update automatically since sunrise/sunset in the GPS is off by about 90 minutes. So, you need to plan on not getting the Automatic Night Mode to kick in (or off) and will have to set it manually before you start riding. For me, the simplest setting will be to simply leave it in Night Mode most of the time. I wish I knew that 2 weeks ago before I made my initial posting here.

My final take away on this whole fiasco is that this HAD to be known by Garmin. Even if they did not feel like spending any time fixing it, at least they could have done some kind of notice in Garmin Express to advise owners of the situation. A little proactive information would have allowed any users that were affected by it to at least be aware of it and not waste time on a DIY solution that would not work, or waste time and money sending a normal Nav V back for a replacement that does not seem to be fully functional.

Also, I do a lot of commuting to work on my bike, which involves riding during sunrise and sunset times. The color mode will NOT properly update automatically since sunrise/sunset in the GPS is off by about 90 minutes.

I had noticed my Zumo 660 did this - not knowing correct sunrise and sunset so just set it to daylight mode since I usually don't ride much after dark - too many critters.

Now that I have discovered it thinks it is April instead of November this may make sense. :banghead

FWIW, this afternoon I took out my old Garmin GPSMap 76CS which I last used in 2007. I put in two fresh AA batteries, turned it on and put it out on the back deck so it could find itself. It did, and also told me that the date was 11/19/2019. The time was correct too. What an odd thing this is...

FWIW, this afternoon I took out my old Garmin GPSMap 76CS which I last used in 2007. I put in two fresh AA batteries, turned it on and put it out on the back deck so it could find itself. It did, and also told me that the date was 11/19/2019. The time was correct too. What an odd thing this is...

I have one of those as well. It checked out ok as I mentioned in an earlier post, it’s an older unit and it’s never been updated.
I’m behind in updates........could this be why they are still working fine?
OM

I just looked at the Garmin website Gary and it says I can update my "Legacy" Garmin GPSMap 76CS. First I have to DL the "WebUpdater." This file is dated 2012. I think I'll keep it in its pristine "old" status...

I just looked at the Garmin website Gary and it says I can update my "Legacy" Garmin GPSMap 76CS. First I have to DL the "WebUpdater." This file is dated 2012. I think I'll keep it in its pristine "old" status...

Yeah John, why mess up a good thing :)

Along the lines of GPS, I’m glad I don’t “have” to use a GPS to get around, plot my route, plan my trip. Running at about 50% success, my last GPS guided trip ran me into yet another narrow dead end. A quarter-mile back out with 40’ of truck and trailer was another reminder (to me) of the goofy lack of accuracy associated with GPS :hungover
OM

this was my response to that
So a 900 dollar investment in safety and navigation is comprimised after two years this is comepletely unacceptable.

I've been in the GPS timing industry since 1985 - there are two aspects to GPS as the system is a series of flying atomic clocks that broadcast "This is where I am, and this is what the time is". From that information from 4 satellites, it is possible to determine X, Y, Z as well as time to nanoseconds.

The first occurrence of GPS Week Rollover hammered the industry (except for one German timing company that had the foresight to not be restricted by the # of bits assigned to the week rollover situation - they doubled the amount of bits and thus have had no issues with the week rollover that occurs about every 19.2 years.

Of course a positioning company like Garmin could give a rat's posterior about the impact on time - they do NOT care - they are lazy. Thus their bogus response that "Well, the units still give good position".

Back