• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Vespa look Segway

The fact that the inventor was killed on one of them doesn't really speak for the concept.

Dean Kamen is still alive and well, but the millionaire that owned the company that built them did, in fact, go over a cliff on a Segway.

Dean Kamen is still alive and well, but the millionaire that owned the company that built them did, in fact, go over a cliff on a Segway.

Sorry, I didn't have the facts straight. Guess the inventor got out of it just in time....:D:D

I still remember the buzz they made BEFORE the introduction of the thing. They did not say what it was, but they bragged it would totally change personal transport in the cities and they warned everybody who would not be part of it, that they would miss out big time. Well, I was one of those who remained skeptical and I guess, I missed out big time.
I am glad I am old enough to be able to say I don't give a hoot about anything that moves electrically, be it car or motorcycle or Segway. And I don't have to worry that I will have to in my lifetime!:laugh

Jeff Bezos was all excited, I remember him suggesting that it would revolutionize personal mobility.
NOT

Didn't GWB take a header?
The design is inherently dangerous with a multi-axis pivot point being just under the operators feet.
Can you say whip?

Last edited:
I like naked bikes, in part, because they are a blank canvas for riders to build on. Trating up a Segway made me smile.

I am old enough to say I am fascinated by anything that moves (some more than others) no matter how it is powered. I was skeptical about the claims that the Segway would revolutionize personal transport. I quickly saw potential for use in shared user applications on large campuses. At one time I was the property manager for a hospital complex that covers roughly a 10 campus. If they had been around then it could have had several shared applications that could have made getting around that campus much easier. As personal single user transport it struck me as a potentially fun toy that isn't on my personal Christmas wish list.

Jeff Bezos was all excited, I remember him suggesting that it would revolutionize personal mobility.
NOT

Didn't GWB take a header?
The design is inherently dangerous with a multi-axis pivot point being just under the operators feet.
Can you say whip?

Just an opinion but I think it might have met bad timing ...?

What was it ? mid / late 90s....the very time the fitness craze was going into full boom. And all the fitness experts & proponents touted walking as one of the best, along with jogging...around that time ? Jazzercize hit..

So an excuse & means to avoid walking ? @ about $5000 ?...and well it was a flop.

Again, just my opinion.

Looks cool- I can appreciate the time and effort that went into the Vespa conversion.
I think the technology that went into building the original scooter will segway into the "new next thing".
OM

Back