• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Cyclops LED Replacement Kit

ExGMan

Has anyone tried the Cyclops LED replacement kit for the R1200RT? It seems to come in three models, and seems to include all the parts needed. The descriptive data indicates that all the bulbs are replaced and every part of the kit fits under the BMW caps. Here's a screen-shot of the information from the Cyclops website:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.49.34 PM.png

Here's more information, again from a screen-shot:

Screen Shot 2019-01-01 at 12.56.46 PM.png

There are some previous threads shown in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. You can start there until others weigh in...

Thanks Kurt. I saw those but was hoping someone had used the total kit approach on a 2015.

I don't understand why the RT kit is for 2013-2015, 2015-2018? I'm not aware of any headlight changes from 2014 forward.

Jay

I bought the kit for my 16 RT. It has everything you need. I chose Cyclops because I had a set of their lights in my 09 RT and I loved them. The company is very good to deal with if you have questions or problems. They have always taken very good care of me.

I bought the kit for my 16 RT. It has everything you need. I chose Cyclops because I had a set of their lights in my 09 RT and I loved them. The company is very good to deal with if you have questions or problems. They have always taken very good care of me.

How was the install on the kit ? Could you do it without a bunch disassembly ?

How was the install on the kit ? Could you do it without a bunch disassembly ?

Well, it depends on how you try to install them. Cyclops suggests you take out the headlight assembly, but they also say it is possible to install the lights without removing the headlight.

If you choose not to remove the headlight, the process requires patience and relatively small hands. It's not impossible, but you will have to work slow. The low beam light is accessible from sitting in front of your bike and reaching up behind the headlight. Removing the old headlight is a snap. Before installing the new headlight, make sure you read an understand the instructions. There is a ring on the new bulb which needs to be placed inside the assembly and secured with the wire before you install the new bulb. Before you try to place the ring in, put a piece of duct take in the gap between the headlight assembly and the plastic housing. This will prevent you from dropping the ring into the headlight assemble like I did and it is a PITA to fish out.

The high beam lights are pretty straight forward. You only have to remove the speaker covers and speakers. Once again, small hands and patience are a key.

If you decided to remove the headlight, it's not too bad. There are a few more pieces to take apart, but it's not a long process.

I love Cyclops Lights and their customer support. The lights are worth the $200.

I've tried to attach a copy of the instructions but I continually get an error message. If you would like a copy, send me a message,

Last edited:
I have a 2015 RT and I purchased the kit (Hi and Low beams) and I am impressed with the performance. I had previously purchased a single main headlight from Cyclops in 2015 and found the single LED superior to the standard incandescent bulb. The earlier version put out much more light than a standard bulb and the color of the light seemed to provide better contrast to anything on the road and shoulder. The downside of the earlier version was that the beam cutoff was not as sharp as the standard bulb and when I flipped on the brights, there was a icon that popped up that meant that the canbus thought that one of the bulbs was burnt out. Neither the beam pattern nor the canbus error message were big issues.

When Cyclops came out with a newer version of the H7 bulb and the position of the LED better replicated the position of the filiment in a standard H7, I decided to talk with Cyclops. They told me that with the new version of LED, the cutoff pattern would be very similar to that of the std bulb. Also, the difference in the kits is based on whether or not there is a load resistor included. Evidently, there was a change in either the lighting circuit or the canbus sensitivity sometime during the 2015 production cycle. Prior to 2015, no load resistor is needed. After 2015, a load resistor is required when installing the main H7 replacement - otherwise you will get a canbus error message when you use the Hi beam.

I purchased the kit and in an afternoon, pulled out the headlight assembly changed out all of the bulbs and reassembled everything. This new version has an imroved beam pattern, the main beam has a little more light, and now the Hi beam is even brighter and no error message. I think it's a great product.

Intermittent interferrence.

Not being much of a wrench turner, I purchased the LED's at the dealer and had them do the install. I'm not sure if it was a full kit or what but they replaced all three bulbs. I immediatley lost FM reception. I returned to have the bulbs swapped out with a newer version, where they also added something to the wires to mitigate the RF interrferrence. It work great going home - 3 hours through the woods is never bad. However a couple days later I fired her up and all I got was a hailstorm in my headest that lasted several days. Today it fired up clean as a whistle, for a few minutes, then went back into storm mode. I'm thinking something, like a ground, is just loose under there. I'm not sure how to trouble shoot this so I'll have to call 'em back to see what my options are.

This will prevent you from dropping the ring into the headlight assemble like I did and it is a PITA to fish out.

The high beam lights are pretty straight forward.

GOOD, I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that, mines still in the housing somewhere....

Ski:)

I am pretty close to ordering one of these kits for my '16 RT. However the current exchange rate with the Aussie Dollar makes it a pretty expensive set of lights.
Thanks to LFarling for the link to the installation procedure and review.

Had my local dealer install the 3 pack last week. Have not had a chance to ride in the dark yet . Install took the dealer about 4 hrs. They quoted 1 hr. and stood by their quote. They said no one else will get and 1hr deal :laugh I have a 2018 RT

Save your money, I installed these and they've worked perfectly.

I had a set of ADVMonster and Cylops H7's so, yes, I've spent a great deal of money testing. These work perfectly, have no bulky modules to try to bury in the housing, and no CANBUS errors at all. They come in packs of two so, for the cost of ONE Cylops/ADVM you can buy all three plus have a spare.

PS - I'm not ripping Cyclops. A wholeheartedly agree that Daryl and crew are wonderful and very customer-focused.

I purchased the kit from Cyclops and installed it about a week ago. Most of the time (~8 hours total) is spent removing and replacing the light cluster from the fairing.

The actual mounting of the lights was a breeze once you have the cluster out of the fairing. If your kit comes with the ballast resistor harness remember it goes in the right side High beam (drivers viewpoint).

Ski

I know this is 9 months since the first post in this thread, but if anybody is still interested in this setup, I installed this kit in my '16 RT and wrote up an installation review with lots of pictures on another BMW forum. I won't advertise the other forum, but if you click the link below to the Cyclops website for this kit, I wrote a simple (and positive) review of the kit and with the permission of Cyclops (Darryl) I embedded the link to the other forum thread.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/BMW-R1200RTR1250Rt-LED-headlight-bulb-kit_p_194.html

I know this is 9 months since the first post in this thread, but if anybody is still interested in this setup, I installed this kit in my '16 RT and wrote up an installation review with lots of pictures on another BMW forum. I won't advertise the other forum, but if you click the link below to the Cyclops website for this kit, I wrote a simple (and positive) review of the kit and with the permission of Cyclops (Darryl) I embedded the link to the other forum thread.

https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/BMW-R1200RTR1250Rt-LED-headlight-bulb-kit_p_194.html

The guide is fantastic. I printed every page, placed the illustrations in order and then just paged through to complete the job.

Cough, cough, BMWLT, cough...

Ski

I have a 2016 R1200RT and have purchased a Cyclops LED Headlight Kit, which I have been working on today. It seems that I do not have Page 2 of the fitting instructions, and my installation has stalled, pending further information. I have sent a message to Cyclops requesting both pages of the install guide. The headlight unit has been removed from the bike, which was a complex task, but with patience, went OK.

I have carefully read the instructions given by Rainman48 on this site https://www.bmwlt.com/forums/rt-series/183415-review-cyclops-led-headlights-wetheads.html I can readily fit the globes onto the housings, but he makes no mention of where the various electrtical connections fit, I am struggling with the connections on the H1 High Beams. The new LED Low Beam has gone in OK.

Existing High Beam
Each of the two high beams has a single black lead female spade connector which goes onto the back of the existing globe, and a single black wire female spade connector which connects onto the back of the reflector.

2 x New LED H1 Globes
Each of these has a terminal block with two male spade connections, one red and one black. It appears that of of these if for the lead from the back of the reflector/housing, but I can't find anything to confirm this.

Large CANBUS Resistor
This has a Orange Terminal Block with two female spade connections, one red wire and one black wire.
The other end is a black terminal block with one red and one black spade connection.

Can anyone who has fitted one of these kits please advise me how the High Beam H1 LED's connect to the bike. I've attached some photos that show what I am up against, and note that the headlight unit is upside down.
Cyclops Fit - Existing connections.jpg
Cyclops Fit 1.jpg
Cyclops Fit Left.jpg
Cyclops Fit Right.jpg

Last edited:
Instructions

Hi Stinkypete,

The page 1 instructions I received from Cyclops were weird, but after I read them a few times they eventually made sense, but careful reading is required. They pointed out the following:

1) The 1st 4 paragraphs point out the various model year headlamp differences. The 4th paragraph relates to the 2016-2018 models with halo lights and clearly state the Cyclops H1 lamps and ballast are NOT polarity sensitive and there is no "dual connector".

My comments follow: Unlike the low beam H7 bulb which has a "dual connector", and as your pictures show, the two high beam and halo combo models have a split (2) wire config from the ballast with shielded male connectors, and as Cyclops says, either the red or white wire from the ballast can go on either the "ground" (earth) connector on the metal reflector piece, or the "positive" (power) terminal on the LED ballast. I choose to not confuse myself and chose to connect the red to the lamp ballast and the black to the ground terminal.

2) The resistor for the right side H1 high beam takes a bit of visual brain warping, so do the left one first, then connect the resistor in-line with the ballast and then swap the power and ground wires into the other end.

Like the H7 lamp, all the pieces of wire, resistor, and ballast are fit into the housing and then the lamp is twisted on.

Good luck and ask again if you continue to have problems.

PS: Page 2 was the confusing one with lamps and adapters that didn't match at all.

Back