• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Waterproofing Leather Seat 2009 R12RT

tkbaker4

Love this RT!
I just got a Corbin Leather seat for my RT and am wondering what people are using to waterproof and condition their saddle. With the stitching, I'm not sure it will ever be completely waterproof but I'm sure there are products out there to improve the situation.
When I asked, Corbin only told me "You can use a product called Mothers or Ours. We just don't recommend you use anything that has a petroleum base to it."
I've used used Sno Seal on my gloves and boots to great effect and wonder if it's the appropriate product for the seat or if there are other more modern miracle products out there? Inquiring minds want to know...

I don't think that sno seal should be used on a seat

it will clog the pores of the hide. I used the Corbin leather conditioner on my seats for years. The only problem was that it made them a bit slippery.

(ask me about the time when i stopped at a light, and SWMBO started screaming at me about not telling her that the seat had been "treated" on her bike) :dunno :whistle

it will clog the pores of the hide.

Not according to their website: "Sno-Seal Original Beeswax Waterproofing protects leather from rain, sun, snow, and salt. The beeswax formula dries to a solid wax that "stays put" in the surface of the leather so it lasts longer.

Our competitors' greases, oil, and animal products are able to migrate through the leather till they clog all the pores. These waterproofing products fill the natural spaces that are supposed to absorb perspiration and insulate.

In addition, animal fats weaken and rot leather. The tannery worked hard to remove the fats and preserve the leather, so it's hard to imagine why you'd put it back on.

Sno-Seal will help you feel more comfortable in Gore-Tex? fabric lined boots because it allows the Gore-Tex?-absorbed perspiration to escape out of the leather."

I've used Sno-Seal for about 12 years on a couple of leather seats. No problems to date. I use heat to liquefy it and rub it into the leather and seams, then rub and buff the excess off.

Back