• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Navigator VI (Nav-VI)...Tips and Tricks

I think the Nav VI should perform as advertised. The marketing material played up the ability to stream music on a phone, and specifically talked about iOS and Android, with the ability to select playlists on an iPhone, but not on an Android phone.

Yes, it should perform as advertised, or be fixed to do so. Absolutely. And, it appears to be able to stream music. Does "stream music" mean you can control an iPhone? Or, do you have to control the streaming by the iPhone? It's a grey area to me, maybe not to you.

The audio system in my Subaru also does not support playlists but the audio system on my RT does.

Sigh.

Yes, it should perform as advertised, or be fixed to do so. Absolutely. And, it appears to be able to stream music. Does "stream music" mean you can control an iPhone? Or, do you have to control the streaming by the iPhone? It's a grey area to me, maybe not to you.

The audio system in my Subaru also does not support playlists but the audio system on my RT does.

Sigh.

The promo bumph led me to believe that the Nav VI media player would perform the basic music control functions (play, stop, pause, skip track etc.) for music stored on a phone. For an IPhone, this would also allow you to select playlists. I'm not talking about the Nav VI controlling music streaming through Apps like Spotify etc. I don't think the Nav VI does that, and for the moment, I'm not sure it even works for music stored on the phone. :).

The promo bumph led me to believe that the Nav VI media player would perform the basic music control functions (play, stop, pause, skip track etc.) for music stored on a phone. For an IPhone, this would also allow you to select playlists. I'm not talking about the Nav VI controlling music streaming through Apps like Spotify etc. I don't think the Nav VI does that, and for the moment, I'm not sure it even works for music stored on the phone. :).

I downloaded the manual and it confirmed your opinion. It did mention:

1. you must pair the headset first
  2. you pair the phone second

You can select a source of music files, so you can get music from a phone, or an ipod, or ...

Supposedly, you can edit and create playlists too.

At least that is what the manual says.

Nav VI work/not work

Just tried the new VI out on my 2016 R1200RS and it worked just fine. Hit the media app and all the playlist come and pick what you want to listen to and it shows all the info as in artist, title, album etc. Was very happy. Then I put the VI on my 2106 R1200RT hit the media app and all I get is a message to turn on the bikes' radio to listen to music. This is not what I paid $$$ for!! Not very happy now!! Funny that it works on one bike and not the other.

Just tried the new VI out on my 2016 R1200RS and it worked just fine. Hit the media app and all the playlist come and pick what you want to listen to and it shows all the info as in artist, title, album etc. Was very happy. Then I put the VI on my 2106 R1200RT hit the media app and all I get is a message to turn on the bikes' radio to listen to music. This is not what I paid $$$ for!! Not very happy now!! Funny that it works on one bike and not the other.

Welcome to the forum!
Chances are it's just a setting.
Gary

The Nav IV media player worked fine. Nav V & VI not. Must use the bike radio, if equipped. Bummer for the Nav VI. Works well on the XR.

Out of curiosity, what phone are you pairing with the Nav VI? Have you contacted Garmin support? I'm using an iPhone (have tried both an iPhone 7 and an SE) and neither works properly with the Nav VI for me (play/pause/next track/playlists do not work). I reported to Garmin, sent them a bunch of diagnostic log files that they requested, but have not heard anything back (has been about a week). - Sean

phone

I am using a iPhone 6. It works just fine on my RS but not on the RT. Have not called anyone at this time about it. Plan to talk to my BMW dealer where I got it first and see if they can come up with some information. Just want the satisfaction of saying WTF to someone in person. I really do like my dealer but want them to know they have a very unhappy customer. Pay that much for something that won't work as advertised!! Bad Bad BMW!!

Interestingly mine didn't work the first time I tried. I sent a note to Garmin support and while waiting on a response it started working. I wonder if it uploads the music info in the background while the phone is paired?

Now, if it only worked with audiobooks.

Same problem with media player

I've have very spotty functionality of the unit since getting it more than a week ago. No problems with the NAV V, but just wanted to be able to look through and select music from my iphone without the hassle of dealing with the SD card route.

Needless to say, I'm having the same issue getting the unit to "browse" my iphone music. I get the alert message that I need to wait until the apple data is loaded. It has had more than 2 hours on several occasions to do so and failed.

I'm on day #7 with Garmin trying to troubleshoot. I went through the same process of sending data logs and emailing back and forth.

Now I'm on minute #20 waiting to speak to someone.

Like others, I love the new display, but was only willing to spend the extra $$ for ALL of the advertised functionality.

Stay tuned.

Garmin's reply to media player issue

"You're not the only one having problems. The engineers have the data logs and will likely issue a software update to correct the problem. You do not have a defective unit."

There ya go!

Still No Resolution to Navigator VI Bugs - Garmin Requests Add'l Log Files

Heard back from Garmin. Apparently the log files I sent about a week ago were not sufficient for them to diagnose the issue, so they have asked for new ones. So, the issue I have been having with playing music from an iPhone is still open. Will of course send them new log files. Glad they did respond... hoping it gets resolved soon. In the meantime, if anyone else has experienced problems (or success) using the Nav VI to play music stored on their phone (especially iPhone), would be interesting to hear. - Sean

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I've got a Nav VI in transit, so I'm quite interested in how your case develops.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. I've got a Nav VI in transit, so I'm quite interested in how your case develops.

Will do. Everything else about the Nav VI is good, so I bet you will like it. The new screen is fantastic... a dramatic improvement over the Nav V. Super bright, clear, vivid, etc. But one of the main reasons I bought it was to be able to pull music via bluetooth from my phone, including ability to start/stop/next track, etc. I'm still hoping they will issue a firmware update that fixes the problem. - Sean

Multifunction controller not working

I just received my Nav 6, and updated the software on it. It is functioning well, but when I mounted it on the XR, the multifunction controller has no effect. I'm not sure what is going on.

Update. When I tried it the first couple of times, I mounted it on the bike and started the engine, but the bike remained stationary. Today, I used it actually on the road, and the controller worked fine. Not sure why, but I don't recall reading anything in the manuals that it might be necessary to ride a short way before the bike recognizes or pairs up with it.

Last edited:
Still in limbo

After many hours on the phone with Schuberth and Garmin, no resolution has occurred and no deadline for a software fix has been provided.

Essentially, I have not improved on the Nav V this unit replaced other than a little bit better screen resolution. Frankly, there was nothing wrong with the old screen, so nothing has really been gained.

If Garmin fixes this issue, I'll be in love with the unit. I'm still waiting on Putin to leave Syria too.:)

I have an issue with the Nav 6 and wondering if anyone else has this. Under apps in my motorcycle information it appears that the front and rear brake information is reversed. Not sure if it is a GPS issue, a crossed wire or a bike issue. Should I talk with Garmin or the dealer? I will upload a photo shortly.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Sorry guys... I wiped the data. I need to drive a tour again to take an example photo... Standby

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

So far on my '17 RT the Nav 6 is working fine as the first thing I did was to do all the updates that come with a new unit. Integration with my comm system (Interphone Tour) is great too, but I admit I'm not running music through it either.
Basecamp is a bit of a learning curve, as last I used a Garmin was 7 years ago when it was Mapsource....:gerg
I used Furuno on my boats after Garmins kept deep-frying themselves in the salt and sun in the Keys...

Mute routing instructions mutes everything

So, I am wondering if anyone else has this issue and knows how to address it. On my 2016 RT, with audio system paired to Sena 20S headset, Nav VI paired to Sena 20S, and Nav VI paired to iPhone:

When listening to audio while having a route on the GPS, if I mute the GPS, the audio system is muted. Since there are times when I don't want to hear the route instructions, but do want to hear the audio, this is an undesired "feature". Verifying that the Sena, Nav VI, and BMW software is up-to-date, has already been done. No difference. :banghead

Anyone else encounter this?

As an aside, I also do not have the promised bluetooth streaming ability.

Thanks,

Back