• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Nova Scotia & New Brunswick

FredRydr

Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft
I am going to be riding Nova Scotia and New Brunswick in mid-August, and have a few motorcyclist questions.

1. Would someone suggest a good and secure place to park a car and trailer for a week, even for a fee? (I was going to phone the BMW dealer in Dieppe to see if they can help, or try the Anonymous book.)

2. Besides the Cabot Trail, what must-ride/see roads are recommended during a one-week visit?

3. Which park is best for camping in the area between Truro and St. Hawkesbury?

Thanks much!

Fred

I hope you don't miss the Salty Fog Rally, although I don't think exact dates have been set yet. Last year was 8/24.

Wow.....

.... after all that great info we might not leave on our trip (9 days).... kidding.... Salty Fog gathers at Larry's River, our riverside Homestead on August 26th, two nights on Cape Breton Island etc follow but follow that terrific list put together by Paul and Statdawg. Come and enjoy this wonderfully diverse Province!

Fredrydr.... let me give the other questions a bit of thought. R U bringing bikes? -Bob (9 days and counting)

.... after all that great info we might not leave on our trip (9 days).... kidding.... Salty Fog gathers at Larry's River, our riverside Homestead on August 26th, two nights on Cape Breton Island etc follow but follow that terrific list put together by Paul and Statdawg. Come and enjoy this wonderfully diverse Province!

Fredrydr.... let me give the other questions a bit of thought. R U bringing bikes? -Bob (9 days and counting)

I am pulling a trailer from Harrisburg Pennsylvania to Nova Scotia with two bikes and two drivers, planning to do the drive up on 10 August and back on 19 August, with maximum mileage in as short a time possible, for a total trip of nine days. I figure on seven riding days in the Maritimes. We are meeting two others who are riding up and back, who are taking two weeks or so. The main area for riding will be eastern NS and PEI, and further afield depending on what we accomplish; we do not poke along and like sport riding. We will likely camp in one location and take day rides from there, with some flexibility. I prefer park camping rather than commercial campgrounds, but being near a small city or large town for eating out would be nice. We won't cook beyond boiling a bit of water.

I suppose if we camp, we might just as well park the car there.

Fred

Parking

Consider parking your car and trailer at long term parking at Bangor ME International Airport. It's not too expensive, and pretty secure. From Bangor, you can ride to Bar Harbor, and take the Cat over to NS. Or , you could ride up to Calais and cross the border into St. Stephen, NB.

Bangor is a pretty good jumping off point for travel to the Maritimes.

Have a great trip!!!:usa :ca

Consider parking your car and trailer at long term parking at Bangor ME International Airport. It's not too expensive, and pretty secure. From Bangor, you can ride to Bar Harbor, and take the Cat over to NS. Or , you could ride up to Calais and cross the border into St. Stephen, NB.

Bangor is a pretty good jumping off point for travel to the Maritimes.

Have a great trip!!!:usa :ca

$$$ IMHO. That ferry is meant for the very well healed. Lots of places over here which would be much more convenient. Consider weather in this as well. Nice to have a roof close at hand. We're scouting some nice locale for harboring the rig. I'm a bit slow with info right now due to competing work/life (aka Trip) demands. -Bob

reservations

Hi, I've been looking all over the net for suggestions on getting reservations, for nightly stays in Nova scotia in August, we want to tour around with no set agenda, do we have a chance, or are we going to be sleeping on the road? I've ordered the tour guide that was on the above post ,and will keep planning.

Thanks
Brian

Hi, I've been looking all over the net for suggestions on getting reservations, for nightly stays in Nova scotia in August, we want to tour around with no set agenda, do we have a chance, or are we going to be sleeping on the road? I've ordered the tour guide that was on the above post ,and will keep planning.Brian

When you hit the Maritimes, (or you could find them on-line) get a brochure on universities and college accommodatons. Good clean rooms, sometimes with breakfasts for very reasonable prices. Two summers ago I also found the local motels in the east to be quite affordable. As well, there are hostels in the east, but these tend to be heavily booked, but are an excellent value for the buck. Have a good trip!

we do not poke along and like sport riding.

Fred

I hate to be the spoiler but..... The roads can be rather rough in places with lot's of construction work. There's quite a few animals on the road including bears. There are many small villages with a low speed limit and police. Bring tools and tape to kept the bikes ridable. Having the trailer to get the bikes home is a good idea. I would suggest ATTATT (all the gear all the time).
robert

I hate to be the spoiler but..... The roads can be rather rough in places with lot's of construction work. There's quite a few animals on the road including bears. There are many small villages with a low speed limit and police. Bring tools and tape to kept the bikes ridable. Having the trailer to get the bikes home is a good idea. I would suggest ATTATT (all the gear all the time).
robert

Sounds adventurous eh Fred? Lots of riders thrown off their mounts while navigating around the holes in the roads- some of which might pass as the foyer to Hell. In some cases these unfortunate souls have even then been dragged off into the woods by a bear and never seen again. And, if that's not bad enough, some villagers have even decided to keep one or two ..... ok, enough King story building. I think that while Robert's observations require some modest consideration, it really isn't that bad at all. Roads have improved significantly. Not much different than those we found throughout the U.S. and Canada this past summer. The villages are a wonderful way meander around the Province. I suppose a trailer is a fine 'just in case' resource but I could say that regarding any place one ventures to. It is very difficult to find more hospitable folks anywhere else so come on up! And critters on the road? Ever see all those Mule Deer out west? It's all part of the journey anywhere.

Anyway, that's my short response. BTW, Salty Fog (Rolling Rally) will be August 26-28. More info will be coming out in the next couple of months. -Bob

Anyway, that's my short response. BTW, Salty Fog (Rolling Rally) will be August 26-28. More info will be coming out in the next couple of months. -Bob

Cool! We're planning our trip to NewFoundland around that date.

And keeping an eye on this thread.

Voni
sMiling:brad

Cool! We're planning our trip to NewFoundland around that date.

And keeping an eye on this thread.

Voni
sMiling:brad

Voni, although we could not host the Salty Fog last year this year looks like it's a go. Paulbach and I have co-conspired this rolling rally. A small but mighty contingent of souls came together in 07 to go for a little tour from Larry's River, NS. Same Base Camp this year with multiple options for participants but more on that later. Some former threads are:

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=29241&highlight=salty+fog Holly's report indicates the Prince Edward Island rally which begins the day that Salty Fog ends. And, it's only 130 miles away if you take the ferry. Then you can explore beautiful Prince Edward Island.

http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?t=22979&highlight=salty+fog

We will likely pull previous info into a new thread which will focus on the event itself. Stay tuned. - Bob

Last edited:
Back