• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Testing out the new helmet cam

Video is no longer available to watch. Can you repost?

I haven't yet seen it.

I agree with comments on lines, and add speed limits are sometimes ridiculous too.

However, if you break the rules, no matter how sane you are and how safe it is, if a smokey sees you, you are virtually guaranteed a ticket. Although that sucks and I hate it, you will have to argue with the rule makers, not the folks upholding them. Even though some of the smokeys can be a__holes.

Passing over double yellows is no problem....running 100+ on a narrow 2 lane and rolling through stop signs is a problem. Hitting an innocent vehicle at those speeds almost guarantees life threatening injuries to them. Pretty selfish and silly to risk so much just to get attention.......

Passing over double yellows is no problem....running 100+ on a narrow 2 lane and rolling through stop signs is a problem. Hitting an innocent vehicle at those speeds almost guarantees life threatening injuries to them. Pretty selfish and silly to risk so much just to get attention.......

Agreed

Find a flat fairing spot on the center lane side of the bike, safety tie it with an old show lace for "just in case", and record away.

:nod

A safety tie is important. My Contour comes with a safety tie but the default tie off location is the mount. Stupid. What if the mount comes loose? I tie the camera to the helmet. That has already saved the camera once when the glue failed on a stick-on helmet mount in triple digit heat.

In Vermont, you can pass on a double-yellow line UNLESS a "No Passing" sign is present. I'm still trying to figure that one out! :dunno

In Vermont, you can pass on a double-yellow line UNLESS a "No Passing" sign is present. I'm still trying to figure that one out! :dunno

They just figure you are smart enough to LOOK and make a safe pass, the signs are in places site lines are obscured and places that might be deceiving.

Same in Europe NO lines except where it is truly unsafe. They also figure you are smart enough to evaluate the situation and drive accordingly.

I too keep finding new sections that were passing zones, now double yellow. I almost think they pay the contractors that stripe the roads by how much paint they use.

They just figure you are smart enough to LOOK and make a safe pass...{snip}

[RANT]

Yes, I think that's a reasonable assumption. Unfortunately, I have seen too many close calls -- not because it was unsafe to pass, but because the pass was executed too late in the "safe" zone. And, I'm ashamed to say, a number of close calls I have witnessed were from late passes executed by motorcyclists.

I am always wary in corners that lead onto a long straight (at least on the roads I know) -- this was the scene of my last close call. The oncoming rider did not return to his/her lane until the beginning of the corner (from his/her perspective). Fortunately, I took a very late apex and was near the fog line when the oncoming bike went by me...in MY lane. Imagine if I had been driving a car...

Don't get me wrong...my problem is not passing on the double yellow in a safe zone, but with the single-celled, pre-limbic, single-helixed mutoids that don't use common sense on the roadway. Perhaps it supports the theory of natural selection, but -- please -- not at my expense!

[/RANT]

Sorry...had to get that out...

[RANT] ...
Don't get me wrong...my problem is not passing on the double yellow in a safe zone, but with the single-celled, pre-limbic, single-helixed mutoids that don't use common sense on the roadway. Perhaps it supports the theory of natural selection, but -- please -- not at my expense!

[/RANT]

Sorry...had to get that out...

So are you saying that the video showed an example of this mutoid behavior?

So are you saying that the video showed an example of this mutoid behavior?

No. I couldn't even view the video as access is now private. I was temporarily hijacking this thread to vent on what I have seen in a state where it is legal to pass on the double yellow, as some discussion of this was made in prior posts to mine.

No. I couldn't even view the video as access is now private. I was temporarily hijacking this thread to vent on what I have seen in a state where it is legal to pass on the double yellow, as some discussion of this was made in prior posts to mine.

Nice rant.
Would've liked to have seen the video myself to see what all the fuss is about.

I have no problem if people (I don't know of course) want to kill themselves, the problem is that they usually hurt someone else.

I saw it before it was taken down and I really have no comment about it. It's pretty hard to get a real sense of a ride from a wide angle video.

My only comment is that I see a lot of attitudes on this forum that fall into the category of "anyone riding slower than me is an idiot and anyone riding faster is a maniac." Not saying that yours was that, but I just wasn't sure if you were commenting on the video or squids in general.

{snip}...but I just wasn't sure if you were commenting on the video or squids in general.

Squids in general. However, in this case, I was ranting over the poor timing decisions made by folks when passing other vehicles on straights leading to corners...not speeding.

i can vividly recall years ago, when living in CT, that what had been a passing zone one day (and had been for years, obviously) had become a no passing zone the next. no change in road, traffic conditions or anything else- jsut the dashes disappeared. it was not the only one, passing zones were disappearing right and left, hither and yon.
i took my first MSF class not much later, and in talking to the instructor, discovered that he worked for CDOT. i asked him, half jokingly, if the reason for the elimination of so many passing zones was due to State of CT using Chevy Chevettes as thier fleet vehicles, and that was what they were using as the basis for their "safety and performance assessments". he said that was indeed the case, and that if the Chevette could not make the pass within the zone, then it was eliminated.
pandering to the slowest common denominator. sheesh!

My 2 cents: Here in E KY there are no straight stretches, in fact the 2 straight places in my whole county are named & known by every citizen old enough to talk. There are a couple of places that are actually by any sane standard, spots that should not have a double line, but they do:banghead People pass at those spots all the time, including me, unless there's a line of cars & wont gain by doing so. There are also a few spots where it's OK to pass & obviously not safe. The road I speak of is US460, not a county backroad.
It is common around the country to see this poor marking practice, same for the use of curve speeds, lack of curve ahead signs & lack of guard rails& so on down the list. Fact is I see more things lacking as you get into my part of the country as the politically controlled road dollars don't get here in the same amounts.
BTW, who watches these videos of a bike ride? Do you riders actually sit & watch this stuff? Once I'm home I'm onto the next whatever...

BTW, who watches these videos of a bike ride? Do you riders actually sit & watch this stuff? Once I'm home I'm onto the next whatever...

Many watch to get a preview of a road/ride they are thinking about, or to re-ride a road they didn't record, or to view a road/ride they probably will never see. In the Rockies, I see requests for off road recordings because there is interest whether a big dual-sport can handle it. Often a vid tells more about what one can expect, more accurately, than words or a pic.

Many watch to get a preview of a road/ride they are thinking about, or to re-ride a road they didn't record, or to view a road/ride they probably will never see...{snip}

A great idea -- especially in off-road environs. :thumb

A much less accurate (though very entertaining) preview can be had by someone posting their GPS track file, importing it into Google Earth and "flying" over the entire ride. I did that on a recent trip through the mountains and really had a good time replaying the trip. As an added plus, Google Earth can be configured to show you a elevation profile of your ride as well!

Back