• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav VI and Cold Temps, 2019 GSA

passedetp

I've been continuing to ride this year in temps below freezing. For the past month, the screen on my Nav VI has been "jumping" all over as if I am manually selecting a position on the display. It eventually only displayed the "software loading" page and I thought I'd have another Nav VI on the way from Garmin.

Anyway, I brought the device in, charged it on the computer and after a couple of hours, it started to work normal again.

Took it out yesterday in 17F, and it started to do it again. I am thinking that the cold temps are messing with the device. Pretty likely considering the small battery and lack of insulation around the GPS mount.

Has anyone else experienced this with their Nav VI? If it isn't cold temps, what could cause the GPS to do that when mounted in the bike?

Take care,
Austin

When my NAV VI went south I thought the cold temperatures at the time might be the cause. but it soon became clear that it was a bigger problem. Sounds like you have the all too common "ghosting" problem. I suggest you call Garmin and I believe you will have a replacement sent very soon. Garmin is replacing the NAV VI with zero fuss; they know they have a problem and are responding by quickly replacing units. My concern is that for how long will they continue to replace the faulty NAV VIs and why are the replacements also failing? From what I read on the other BMW forums the replacement units are failing at a similar rate as the originals.

Nearly everyone I know riding in cooler temperatures has had their device fail. Garmin needs to publish a support document bulletin. My videos on the topic have gotten so popular that I'm getting 1 email every single day from strangers asking me for advice. I'm not trying to play the woe-me card just because I'm on YouTube but Garmin needs to acknowledge and fix the issue. I'm on my 4th device and every time they say "this time, it's fixed" and replace it. Every Fall, temps dip below freezing and suddenly my device stops working. It's a weather sealing issue and it's not fixed.

The NAV V first sold January of 2014. the NAV VI first sold April of 2017 so we're past the 4 year standard upgrade cycle and still no Nav VII. It's clear this model is dead in favor of BMW's TFT/Connected integration on all of their bikes so they need to kill the NAV VI officially and offer NAV VI owners with issues a Zumo XT as a replacement.

FYI, the Zumo XT is on sale today for 20% off on Amazon.

Pure speculation: The case fits tightly, cold temperatures cause case contraction putting pressure on the screen that is interpreted as "ghost" touches.

It would be interesting to take a faulty one apart and see if the screen flips with the case removed. That would probably void any warranty, so probably not a good idea while there is any hope of a replacement.

I finally gave up on the NAV VI. after 4 of them, I hand-me-downed my unit to my wife who only rides in warm weather and her F750GS was lacking a NAV in the bracket it came with.

I bought a Zumo XT and will be fitting it to my GSA.

Call customer service at Garmin and they will ship you a replacement. It couldn’t be any easier. I don’t think it is the cold, but regardless it is easy to get a replacement.
Garmin send out a sale email for the XT with a new $100.00 discount. I think the XT would be a great addition to the TFT screen for navigating more complex routes.

Nearly everyone I know riding in cooler temperatures has had their device fail. Garmin needs to publish a support document bulletin. My videos on the topic have gotten so popular that I'm getting 1 email every single day from strangers asking me for advice. I'm not trying to play the woe-me card just because I'm on YouTube but Garmin needs to acknowledge and fix the issue. I'm on my 4th device and every time they say "this time, it's fixed" and replace it. Every Fall, temps dip below freezing and suddenly my device stops working. It's a weather sealing issue and it's not fixed.

The NAV V first sold January of 2014. the NAV VI first sold April of 2017 so we're past the 4 year standard upgrade cycle and still no Nav VII. It's clear this model is dead in favor of BMW's TFT/Connected integration on all of their bikes so they need to kill the NAV VI officially and offer NAV VI owners with issues a Zumo XT as a replacement.

FYI, the Zumo XT is on sale today for 20% off on Amazon.

nice, but it doesn't fit the OEM dash mount. So what good is it?

nice, but it doesn't fit the OEM dash mount. So what good is it?

It actually does. there are a few options.

...I've thought a lot about this.

Pure speculation: The case fits tightly, cold temperatures cause case contraction putting pressure on the screen that is interpreted as "ghost" touches.

It would be interesting to take a faulty one apart and see if the screen flips with the case removed. That would probably void any warranty, so probably not a good idea while there is any hope of a replacement.

THIS makes a lot of sense. You might be on to something.....

Thanks.

Take care,
Austin

It actually does. there are a few options.

...I've thought a lot about this.

Thank you for the info. I will give Garmin one more chance with the Nav VI as I like the vehicle data collected on the unit. However, when I posted this forum, I was hoping to eventually track down a "non-Nav VI" replacement.

Take care,
Austin

Back