• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

EFI MODs

Guys,

Lots of great info on this subject that's dear to me. I have a '12 R1200RT and have been after performance gains. I've changed the air filter to one less constrictive, installed Remus headpipe and muffler and installed the booster plug. Performance is better but very occasionally I get the infamous popping on decel and the idle is a bit rough, surges back and forth about 50 rpm.

I am going to install the af XIED this summer. Do you all think it will cure my popping and surging issues? Thanks for any and all advice.

Guys,

Lots of great info on this subject that's dear to me. I have a '12 R1200RT and have been after performance gains. I've changed the air filter to one less constrictive, installed Remus headpipe and muffler and installed the booster plug. Performance is better but very occasionally I get the infamous popping on decel and the idle is a bit rough, surges back and forth about 50 rpm.

I am going to install the af XIED this summer. Do you all think it will cure my popping and surging issues? Thanks for any and all advice.

Yes, enriching the mixture with an AF-XiED will help your issues and will make all of these bikes run better stock or modified. If someone leaves the air temp fooler (Booster Plug, Accelerator Module, etc) on or removes it, it won't matter as far as the AF-XiED is concerned. Roger has shown quite a bit of proof and solid data that the effects of an air temp fooler are adapted out rather quickly by the BMSK. You can read that info on the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?56990-2004-R1150RT-Wideband-O2-Sensors/page17

Mike

Yes, enriching the mixture with an AF-XiED will help your issues and will make all of these bikes run better stock or modified. If someone leaves the air temp fooler (Booster Plug, Accelerator Module, etc) on or removes it, it won't matter as far as the AF-XiED is concerned. Roger has shown quite a bit of proof and solid data that the effects of an air temp fooler are adapted out rather quickly by the BMSK. You can read that info on the last 2 or 3 pages of this thread: http://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread.php?56990-2004-R1150RT-Wideband-O2-Sensors/page17

Mike

Thanks mike. I fully understand how ALL new street bikes run lean due to manufacturer's requirement to meet the EPA mandates. Coming from HD, it was always an easy fix with numerous vendors selling very good products that help machines run cooler with increased performance and fuel economy.

I was a bit disappointed when searching for the same enhancement on the BMW. Looks like you good folks have done all the homework and I thank you for for that. Once again I'll be looking forward to reporting back to you all on my seat of the pants performance once I install my own af XIED.

Thanks mike. I fully understand how ALL new street bikes run lean due to manufacturer's requirement to meet the EPA mandates. Coming from HD, it was always an easy fix with numerous vendors selling very good products that help machines run cooler with increased performance and fuel economy.

I was a bit disappointed when searching for the same enhancement on the BMW. Looks like you good folks have done all the homework and I thank you for for that. Once again I'll be looking forward to reporting back to you all on my seat of the pants performance once I install my own af XIED.

In addition to seat of the pants I used the GS-911 to collect engine rpm data from which I calculated torque, HP and acceleration. Better than standard everywhere, by especially between 2k and 4k.

alltorque121112.jpg

In addition to seat of the pants I used the GS-911 to collect engine rpm data from which I calculated torque, HP and acceleration. Better than standard everywhere, by especially between 2k and 4k.

alltorque121112.jpg

Roger,

In your opinion, was my choice to install a free flowing air filter and Remus cat free head-pipe and muffler a wise decision that that will help my bike run better? I've not heard from others who have decided to go this route. From what I can gather, most folks leave the stock exhaust intact and are just altering the AFR but I always thought the more complete performance package includes improving the flow of fresh air and exhaust gas thru the engine. Correct?

Roger,

In your opinion, was my choice to install a free flowing air filter and Remus cat free head-pipe and muffler a wise decision that that will help my bike run better? I've not heard from others who have decided to go this route. From what I can gather, most folks leave the stock exhaust intact and are just altering the AFR but I always thought the more complete performance package includes improving the flow of fresh air and exhaust gas thru the engine. Correct?

That's a hard question to answer and I don't have any expertise in exhaust/intake design. What I do know is that those elements are part of a dynamic system such that while the average flow of air is from intake to exhaust, on a moment by moment basis, air travels back and forth. The result is that BMW had to spend a lot of time on the dyno to find out how much fresh air was in the cylinder for every rpm/TPS condition.

When the intake or exhaust is changed there is the possibility that there might be more air at some rpm/TPS conditions but less air at others. This might be good for a specialty use like racing but might not be an improvement for everyday riding.

Probably your BMSK will adapt to the changes and you won't be much better or worse but it's not easy to figure out.

Since the science behind adding 4-8% fuel to an engine controlled by a stock O2 sensor is simple, it is an easy first change to make. That science is, in an engine running at lambda=1 (14.7:1) there is still some unburned air. By adding a little fuel you burn it and usually add a little power, but importantly to us, smoothness. Some engines run better with the fuel dial turned up, the Boxer seems to be one of them.

Bernie, If you're referring to Innovate Motorsports LC-2s or an AF-XIED kit from Beemerboneyard, either is the real-deal and will make a noticeable performance improvement. Worth the effort and money.

If you're referring to your original post on IAT temperature modifiers, they don't have a lasting effect. RB

The Dobeck (Techlusion) controller from Beemerboneyard works well, mate this with a Remus Header, Remus Muffler, and Uni filter and you are good to go. Works great on my 2009 RT, Throttle response is great, no more stumble off idle, bike runs like a sport bike, really smooths things out, your gas mileage will drop though mostly because of racing it around at 5k-7K rpms just because you can, and it puts such a smile on your face. :wave

Last edited:
AF-XiED for BMW R1200R

+1 on what Roger says.

Just put a AF-XiED on my 2012 R1200RT and the results are great. (23K KM)

After a couple tanks of gas, the bike is a new animal. Smooth, faster, & seems to be better a slow parking lot maneuvers.

I can run thru small towns at slower speeds with no roughness & at high-way speeds I used to have to keep it a 3700+ RPM for the bike to be happy. Now a 3500 RPM it is just as smooth and seems to be in that elusive "Zone". Don't have to shift down to 5th to keep it at 3700 RPM.

And it is nice to know the BMS-K gets to do all the work it was meant to do.

AF-XiED on a 2013 R1200RT

i install the AF-XiED on my RT late last year....and i can say without any hesitation that the overall drive-ability of the motor is wonderful....no hesitation, stumbles or flat spots....seat of the pants says there is an improvement in performance but that could be simply the the fact that the motor is not running on a lean condition....fuel economy is hovering around 42mpg on my almost daily 80mile round trip commute and i have seen high 40s on longer distance rides....

i have played a bit with the settings however....started with the OEM setting of 7 and have gone to 8 (with little noticeable improvement and decreased fuel economy) and to 6 where it is currently....i should note that the overall performance is better on setting 7 riding 2-up....

would i recommend this....by all means.....the $$$ was well spent...

oh yeah....on the 2013 RT there is no need to remove the fuel tank as instructed.....and the wiring harness at the connectors at the O2 ports is a bit tight, but manageable....

hope this helps in decision making...

wyman

RSH & Wyman.Winn, Although I don't have the pleasure of riding an R1200RT (was thinking about the new one though), and although the AF-XIED is Nightrider's product, thank you for posting your results. It's good to see others getting the benefits of lambda-shifting on their motorcycles. There was a time when I thought many would copy my LC-1 install, but Plug 'n Play and simplicity of operation seem to be of greater value. Enjoy your riding. RB

AF-XiED for the R1200RT

Hi Roger.

Just got back from a 3800 KM road trip and only have a moment to report.

All I can say to everyone, is to buy it. My Power Commander V is for sale.

Taking off in first or second (by mistake) is no longer an issue and so much more drivability. First gear seems to of dropped to a lower gear ratio, it just wants to go now. No clunking, and trying to feather an un-feather-able dry clutch. 3000 to 4000 RPM the engine just purrs away at hi-way speeds in 6th with no vibration at all, or less anyway. You can stay in 6th to about 2700 RPM & the engine does not seem to complain, although I did shift down at 3000 RPM for fear of lugging the engine and not realizing it.

Set at #6 you get OEM gas mileage (4.81L/100KM), at #7 more performance, a little less gas mileage (5.21L/100KM), #8, not necessary for my style of driving - (about 5.35L/100KM).

At all settings the driveability was vastly increased. A couple of times I surprised myself if I had to get by an RV or truck quickly, it just took off at #7 & #8. Much more linear than the PC-V.

I hope to get the time to a comparo report on the Stock EFI vs. the PC-V vs. the AF-XiED for the camhead R1200 for the benefit of those who are sitting on the fence.

I also have a K&N filter and removed the flapper valve. I think that is letting a little more air thru, but no real proof. I did those mods when I had the PC-V on and all I noticed was a slight improvemnet in gas mileage, if there was more HP, I could not notice it. The exhaust note seemed slighly more growly or close to the same. Very little diffrence in sound.

I have no affiliation with the makers of the AF-XiED.

2012 R1200RT with 24K KM now.

Last edited:
Hi RSH,
Thanks for the report and feedback. The description of how your bike is running is much like my experience with the LC-1 on the 1150RT. I'm usually running 5th gear now around town (35-50 mph) and 6th gear on the highway above 55 mph (2800 rpm). In my case the engine isn't lugging at all, even if I roll-on full throttle--not a hint of complaint from the engine.
RB

Back