• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mountainia ride-2-Q

Sounds like fun, I'm still waiting on the Georgians finalising the March dates for a Saddlesore run, just been to the website and there's no new postings.
Are we talking "Tomato -based" barbecue sauce or the nasty stuff??
Cheers,
"The other Ian" :drink :drink

I'm in as well. Still trying to find a good BBQ place since relocating to Upstate, SC.

Hell, I'm still trying to learn where all the good roads are, too.

:bikes

Here's the link to the North Carolina BBQ trail http://www.ncbbqsociety.com/trail_map.html

Hope it helps ya...

there is something wrong with this map....

except for murphy, they ain't got no bbq joints in mountainia ... just in points *east* of mountainia.

what's up with that?????

well, here are some thoughts for the assembled group to consider.

- for those that wish to camp on a saturday night, meet up somewhere mid-morning on saturday to set up camp and then head for q.

- for those who don't want to camp, either meet us at camp and ride to q or meet us for lunch.

- after lunch, ride.

- q for dinner.

- get up sunday morning, break camp, ride to a lunch spot for q.

- head home.

sound like the rough outlines for a plan?

late march or early april-ish.

Sounds like fun, I'm still waiting on the Georgians finalising the March dates for a Saddlesore run, just been to the website and there's no new postings.

i *think* that our saddlesore run is going to be in november, in conjunction with the shrimp boil.

Are we talking "Tomato -based" barbecue sauce or the nasty stuff??

hey "other" ian -

more likely than not, it will be western-NC-style q which is a tomato-based sauce added to something with vinegar and whatever spices the chef deems suitable.

personally, i like south carolina-style, but too many people say "gakkk" when that is mentioned.

i *think* that our saddlesore run is going to be in november, in conjunction with the shrimp boil.

SHRIMP BOIL, who is doing a Shrimp Boil, I was born in New Orleans and lived there 37 years, I can boil the hell out of shrimp, crawfish, crabs, and a whole host of other stuff we throw into it. how can I participate in this and if help is needed i'm available.

Wade

there is something wrong with this map....

except for murphy, they ain't got no bbq joints in mountainia ... just in points *east* of mountainia.

what's up with that?????

Don't know I thought the same thing. I'm working on a file for Mapsource with some locations marked

late march or early april-ish.

There are two GNCC races in that time frame. March 21-22 Steele Creek GNCC in Morganton NC and April 4-5 in the Big Buck GNCC in Union SC which we go to every year.

SHRIMP BOIL, who is doing a Shrimp Boil, I was born in New Orleans and lived there 37 years, I can boil the hell out of shrimp, crawfish, crabs, and a whole host of other stuff we throw into it. how can I participate in this and if help is needed i'm available.

wade - this is a bmw mc owners of georgia annual event, at our november club meeting. someone usually rides over to beaufort, sc and buys some shrimp offa da boat and brings it to the meeting.

it's at high falls state park, on november 8.

our boiler is pretty darn good, but i don't think we'd mind a few guests...

ian

wade - this is a bmw mc owners of georgia annual event, at our november club meeting. someone usually rides over to beaufort, sc and buys some shrimp offa da boat and brings it to the meeting.

it's at high falls state park, on november 8.

our boiler is pretty darn good, but i don't think we'd mind a few guests...

ian

Im in, let me know how many usually attend and I can make either a big pot of Gumbo or Jambalaya

Wade

so here's what i am thinking.

in deference to scbmwrider, and acknowledging that it can still be danged cold in march, let's shoot for april 18-19

the thought is to meet at a campground for a late saturday morning departure to a bbq spot for lunch... then a ride... then bbq for dinner, then camp.

i'm thinking high country cycle camp... i haven't been there in a long time!

hcmcmap8.5t.jpg

is it possible for folks to get there before noon?

the other alternative is a spot i know near hot springs.

ian

in deference to scbmwrider, and acknowledging that it can still be danged cold in march, let's shoot for april 18-19

the thought is to meet at a campground for a late saturday morning departure to a bbq spot for lunch... then a ride... then bbq for dinner, then camp.

i'm thinking high country cycle camp... i haven't been there in a long time!

is it possible for folks to get there before noon?

the other alternative is a spot i know near hot springs.

ian

Like the date. Haven't been to high country yet and have wanted to go. WIll they be open in April??

Should be about a 3 hr ride for us...Need to pick out some places to eat.

Check out this article Washington Post

Ok did some research and visited the North Carolina BBQ Society and this is what I have put together. If all agree I will plan the trip and mark out some incredible roads for our travels.

Leave Saturday Morning from the Mooresville Area around 9am ish.

Head West through Shelby, Lake Lure into Arden for our lunch stop at
12Bones BBQ

We leave Arden and travel south to HWY 64 through the Highlands and into Cherokkee ending up in Murphy NC about a 3-4 hour ride to Herb's Pit BBQ

we spend the night in Cherokkee,

Leave Sunday morning out of Cherokkee through the north west portion of the state BLP and some other great roads we head 240 miles east to Mocksville for lunch at Deano's BBQ after that we head home.

I will contact each establishment and let them know we are coming and hopefully they will have some special accomodations for us.

So what do you think

Wade

Back