• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rally Entertainment

I thought Elizabeth Cook lives in Nashville:scratch

Listen to her XM show when traveling on Outlaw Country.

No offense to Miss Cook, but I've never heard of her. Of course, I don't do country music at all.

Personally, I would've loved to have Cheryl Crow there. She lives one county over, Williamson Co.

Wynonna Judd also rides a bike, FWIW. Sadly, it's a Harley but she might be open to being educated? LOL!

No clue what the Buffalo Chip Campground is or what they do, sorry.

The Buffalo Chip Campground is a large field with toilets, vendor space, and a big stage a few miles outside of Sturgis, South Dakota. It accommodates a few thousand campers during the Black Hills Motor Classic (bike week) at Sturgis. It charges high fees for camping but between the nudity, drugs, and high dollar bands it has abundant entertainment.

https://www.buffalochip.com/

Last edited:
Paul, maybe we should be examining that model if we truly want to grow the MOA and make some money??? :dunno

The two can exist, good music and affordability. We had three Grammy Award winners in Essex Junction, VT and still kept the entertainment budget in line, and made money for the Rally. Oh ya, it was also, and still is, the best attended Rally the MOA ever presented. :dance

Friedle

Paul, maybe we should be examining that model if we truly want to grow the MOA and make some money??? :dunno

The two can exist, good music and affordability. We had three Grammy Award winners in Essex Junction, VT and still kept the entertainment budget in line, and made money for the Rally. Oh ya, it was also, and still is, the best attended Rally the MOA ever presented. :dance

Friedle

Well I guess there are things to be said for sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The last year we were at Sturgis, ZZ Top was the headliner at the Buffalo Chip Campground.

Well I guess there are things to be said for sex, drugs, and rock and roll. The last year we were at Sturgis, ZZ Top was the headliner at the Buffalo Chip Campground.

To get into that level of big-name entertainment you need to be either charging high prices or packing in lots of bodies—the Chip does both. The first garners lots of grousing from the attendees, the second carries an automatic increase in sex and drugs, just as you’d find in any modestly sized city. While in many circles such an increase is ignored or garners the Seinfeld response (“not that there’s anything wrong with that”) it wouldn’t float in an organization that gets its panties in a bunch over something as innocuous as a photo of a pretty and unhelmeted lass astride a motorcycle. Regionally-known bands are still, for this organization, a good compromise between cost and quality.

Best,
DG

To get into that level of big-name entertainment you need to be either charging high prices or packing in lots of bodies—the Chip does both. The first garners lots of grousing from the attendees, the second carries an automatic increase in sex and drugs, just as you’d find in any modestly sized city. While in many circles such an increase is ignored or garners the Seinfeld response (“not that there’s anything wrong with that”) it wouldn’t float in an organization that gets its panties in a bunch over something as innocuous as a photo of a pretty and unhelmeted lass astride a motorcycle. Regionally-known bands are still, for this organization, a good compromise between cost and quality.

Best,
DG

Just to be clear, since I brought it up:

We are not, and ought not be, the Buffalo Chip Campground.

Go see the vendors and several seminars.

I do understand the sentiment but do have to say, it is a motorcycle rally, not a music concert. And our rally is not at the Buffalo Chip Campground. :)

I agree with Paul, and do we really have to be entertained 24/7? I am appreciative of whoever the rally organizers have lined up for the entertainment! It will all be good, but I do really like Paul Thorn & his band! :)

I've been to 6 or 7 MOA Nationals. My favorite music venue was at the '92 National in DuQuion, IL. .Ray Benson and Asleep at the Wheel. :thumb:thumb But hey, that's just me. I've never complained about any of music we had. I'm lucky, I live next to one of the the great music capitols of America; Memphis, TN. I could go somewhere every night and watch and listen to great music. My personal BMW mechanic Leo Goff is probably one the greatest unknown bass guitar players in America. Any band he plays in is top shelf. I know I'm blessed.

I thought George Thorogood & the Destroyers in Lima ... and David Bromberg in Vermont were pretty solid entertainment offerings. :thumb :dance

Back