• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Sidecase Security and Owner ID Strategies

tourunigo

In light of my own recent experience, I thought that it would be a good idea to use a thread to compile ideas and strategies for

1) Securing Side Cases: some best practices

2) Owner ID Methods On Side Cases (inside and (or vs) outside).

While the story behind the idea would also be of interest, I suggest keeping it to the specific ideas/strategies. I have had good fortune in finding my lost sidecase and will now change how I approach these two points. My fuller story regarding loss, retrieval and the profound impact that a comprehensive and responsive network of resources can have will be forthcoming.
- Bob

Glad to hear that your missing side case is making it back to you Bob.

ID it for a future incident. Put your name, cell # on it and a short note saying that it carries only dirty laundry and camping stuff, essential for my cross country ride. I hope that this information will deter someone from breaking the locks to see what valuable booty might be inside.

Another thing that I do, is to use my convex mirrors to regularly check that the cases are always there. If one should go AWOL, it should not be too much of a ride back to pick it up.

There must be a lot of good guardian angels in the northeast for your bag to find it's way back to you.

Glad to hear that your missing side case is making it back to you Bob.

ID it for a future incident. Put your name, cell # on it and a short note saying that it carries only dirty laundry and camping stuff, essential for my cross country ride. I hope that this information will deter someone from breaking the locks to see what valuable booty might be inside.

Another thing that I do, is to use my convex mirrors to regularly check that the cases are always there. If one should go AWOL, it should not be too much of a ride back to pick it up.

There must be a lot of good guardian angels in the northeast for your bag to find it's way back to you.

thanks Paul. I think that some folks don't realize that a bag can jump ship and 1) you won't feel it and 2) habituation sets in and you don't know it's gone when you stop (unless you want something in the bag...... ask me how I know). - Bob

I would do as Ted said. Someplace not visible while riding, like on the bottom of the case, or the side that's next to the bike just write your cell phone number and "reward". Do Not write : "If found return to [address]" ! For a reason that should be obvious!

I like the standard packing list pouch. Info can be put on a page of "write in the Rain" brand paper or an Index card sealed with clear shipping tape. Gary

I like the standard packing list pouch. Info can be put on a page of "write in the Rain" brand paper or an Index card sealed with clear shipping tape. Gary

that's a bit of an idea that I had in mind Gary. Maybe a bit of CrazyGlue to help the adhesion? Maybe a standard luggage tag? Don't use your inkjet printer for the ink. I hope that some of these ideas help prevent the anguish of lost bags/belongings. - Bob

I'll just put the info inside my cases. I never lock them, because they stay mostly empty. I put all my stuff in my trailer...

I'll just put the info inside my cases. I never lock them, because they stay mostly empty. I put all my stuff in my trailer...

ha...... that's where our wine was when we lost the sidecase! Stayed at a border town and drank all the beer and wine on board before crossing to Canada. We could because of that trailer. I still lock the sidecases though. Riding two up needs that room. - Bob

that's a bit of an idea that I had in mind Gary. Maybe a bit of CrazyGlue to help the adhesion? Maybe a standard luggage tag? Don't use your inkjet printer for the ink. I hope that some of these ideas help prevent the anguish of lost bags/belongings. - Bob

Yeah Bob, I might have put it one of the other related threads but because their very sticky, cheap, and effective I wanted to bring it up. Some people may even have them in the shipping dept. where they work :whistle . As for super glue the only thing I've ever had luck sticking is my skin. And-as the weather turns colder and my fingers start to crack, superglue is the answer. For a real nice all around adhesive that would stick a stamped brass dog tag to a case, I'm a fan of Shoe Goop. Gary

Last edited:
Yeah Bob, I might have put it one of the other related threads but because their very sticky, cheap, and effective I wanted to bring it up. Some people may even have them in the shipping dept. where they work :whistle . As for super glue the only thing I've ever had luck sticking is my skin. And-as the weather turns colder and my fingers start to crack, superglue is the answer. For a real nice all around adhesive that would stick a stamped brass dog tag to a case, I'm a fan of Shoe Goo. Gary

shoe goo?

I use a standard Avery label printed with "IF FOUND PLEASE CALL 703-XXX-XXXX -- REWARD FOR RETURN", then covered with a piece of clear packing tape so the tape overhangs about 1/8" all around, then affix to the inner portion of the bag where it can not be seen while on the bike, is protected from the weather, and doesn't rub against anything. You can also use paint pens found in stationary stores (with the added bonus that they come in silver and gold -- bling!).

Last edited:

I printed my information off on regular printing paper four years ago with my laser printer and covered with packing tape. Four years later and everything is as it was when I first taped the information to the cases. However, I do need to replace the K's information with my additional cell phone number.

Can't put the info on the bottom of the cases as that's where I have large strips of orange reflective tape, just in case the case (or bike) somehow lands upside down in a ditch. In that case, the reflective tape might help catch someone's attention. Besides, the bottom of the cases tend to get a little dusty.

Try here:

So it looks like this (label also covered with clear packing tape)

Cannot be seen when the case is on the bike, protected from the worst of the weather, clearly visible when off the bike - works well for me!

... if only I had done that Ted! I like that placement (looks like our bag...:scratch:lol) However, if I had done that then I would never have discovered that rich communications network out there. I learned a lot. But from now on though..... - Bob

Last edited:
back in the day when i used stock bags, i used a simple nylon strap around the bag and mounting brackets as a backup. these were the old-style krausers with the loop frame/mount.

not sure if this will work with the newer bags & mounts as it might be possible for the bag to drop onto the rear wheel?

nowadays i use jesse boxes and their mounting system is nuclear strong... the only way it will fall off is if you forget to close the latch that holds the bag to the mount.

ian

ps => bob - are you going to write an article for the ON on this? it sounds like a great subject.

A search will get you the info and pictures as this is a known fix for R bikes. My frame of reference is the R1150R.Go to Home Depot hardware drawer (lowes doesn't have em)and buy a large wire clip-looks kinda like a large crude safety pin. The one that works is either the largest or next largest,~ 2.5" long,a pair, one for each bag. I even sent several to a guy in Aisa who couldn't find them there. At the front lower bracket for the OEM sidecase, you carefully drill a hole of approx. 1/16" dia., and what barely allows the pin to pass through black plastic AND! aluminum AND! the side case tab there. This means that your side case is temporarily fixed to the bike, unless you unclip it , of course. Cheap and simple.
I feel ceratin there are other means to get creative and assure the bags on other models dont hit the pavement. I'll also share that the site, www.r1150r.net has the subject worn out and fully described.
I can send a pic if you have the same application, PM me. My pics don't like to go on this forum so include an email.

A search will get you the info and pictures as this is a known fix for R bikes. My frame of reference is the R1150R.Go to Home Depot hardware drawer (lowes doesn't have em)and buy a large wire clip-looks kinda like a large crude safety pin. The one that works is either the largest or next largest,~ 2.5" long,a pair, one for each bag. I even sent several to a guy in Aisa who couldn't find them there. At the front lower bracket for the OEM sidecase, you carefully drill a hole of approx. 1/16" dia., and what barely allows the pin to pass through black plastic AND! aluminum AND! the side case tab there. This means that your side case is temporarily fixed to the bike, unless you unclip it , of course. Cheap and simple.
I feel ceratin there are other means to get creative and assure the bags on other models dont hit the pavement. I'll also share that the site, www.r1150r.net has the subject worn out and fully described.
I can send a pic if you have the same application, PM me. My pics don't like to go on this forum so include an email.

I have a R12RT, but I've got the idea. Thanks for the explanation! ;)

Back