• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Tips and considerations during this time of National Emergency

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read it on the internet.

That said it is my belief that the true total number of deaths is unknown and will likely never be known. Not every possible Covid-19 death has been confirmed post mortem and many of the folks hospitalized have also not been tested.

I read it on the internet.

That said it is my belief that the true total number of deaths is unknown and will likely never be known. Not every possible Covid-19 death has been confirmed post mortem and many of the folks hospitalized have also not been tested.

I agree, Paul. To me that seems an inescapable characteristic of a situation like this. Too much happening too quickly with too little resources, etc.

It was a story in Buzzfeed and GQ magazine. Due to the lack of access to testing, some within the medical community have claimed that a number of deaths may not be correctly attributed to COVID-19.

Thanks for the clarification. "Inaccurate reporting due to lack of testing" sounds a lot different to me than "...the US was not reporting the true number of fatalities." which sounds conspiratorial. And speaking of conspiratorial and not reporting all cases (for whatever reasons), I am having a lot of trouble believing that the US now has more cases of C19 than China did in total. The US population is 24% that of China (330,000,000 vs. 1.4B), and China suppressed information about this for a couple of months before they couldn't keep a lid on it anymore. To me, the Chinese numbers look managed, but I can only quote myself as a source. :scratch

Thanks for the clarification. "Inaccurate reporting due to lack of testing" sounds a lot different to me than "...the US was not reporting the true number of fatalities." which sounds conspiratorial. And speaking of conspiratorial and not reporting all cases (for whatever reasons), I am having a lot of trouble believing that the US now has more cases of C19 than China did in total. The US population is 24% that of China (330,000,000 vs. 1.4B), and China suppressed information about this for a couple of months before they couldn't keep a lid on it anymore. To me, the Chinese numbers look managed, but I can only quote myself as a source. :scratch

The numbers (health, business, military) from any country without a free press would be and always have been suspect. If the Chinese numbers look managed, the Russian numbers (4 deaths) are fantasy.

Of course, in the US, some states really liked the position of having no cases...https://time.com/5805571/james-vigil-west-virginia/

People are scared. People are starved for information. People are frantic with what's next. People have their stress level wound tight. It's a tough time that, for the most part, people in North America (world) haven't seen before.
I don't think we have yet come to the point we have to warm the dirt out of the smokehouse for the grease to eat.
The news has taught us that everything mustbe presented in a sensationalized fashion based on what will keep you viewing/reading even if it's "not exactly accurate". And of course.......there is the "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" that has become so prevalent in todays day to day life.
I expect that we will all get through this upheaval. The world is focused on steming this global problem. Sure we will see some really dopey moves, money wasted, efforts thwarted and people that act like this is "something that other groups" are suffering from.....it's human nature and we have never been through this before.
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Try to be calm. Try to help. Forgive those that are clearly operating/yapping out of fear or stress.
:usa :ca

And remember-

bail-money.jpg

:)
om

I would say some people may be scared, many are concerned and a lot are, like my neighbors, having a pot luck with several families in their backyard:banghead. Several realities are occurring at one time.

Verizon has added a free 15Gb to my data plan including hotspot capability (which I already had) good through April 20th. That is an awesome action by them.

US Cellular has unlimited data through the end of May.
Debbie and I don't even use the 2GB we share.

Some perspective. There are approximately 7 billion people on planet earth. This morning the Fox News website says 615,000 people are infected (0.009%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting and there are really 1,230,000 infected (0.018%). 29,000 have died (0.0004%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting 58,000 have died (0.0008%).

There are approximately 330 million people in the USA. This morning the Fox News website says 105,000 people are infected (0.03%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting and there are really 210,000 infected (0.06%). 1,711 have died (0.0005%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting 3,422 have died (0.001%).

I think I have the math correct.

People are scared. People are starved for information. People are frantic with what's next. People have their stress level wound tight. It's a tough time that, for the most part, people in North America (world) haven't seen before.
I don't think we have yet come to the point we have to warm the dirt out of the smokehouse for the grease to eat.
The news has taught us that everything mustbe presented in a sensationalized fashion based on what will keep you viewing/reading even if it's "not exactly accurate". And of course.......there is the "Monday Morning Quarterbacking" that has become so prevalent in todays day to day life.
I expect that we will all get through this upheaval. The world is focused on steming this global problem. Sure we will see some really dopey moves, money wasted, efforts thwarted and people that act like this is "something that other groups" are suffering from.....it's human nature and we have never been through this before.
Stay safe. Stay healthy. Try to be calm. Try to help. Forgive those that are clearly operating/yapping out of fear or stress.
:usa :ca

And remember-

bail-money.jpg

:)
om

+1 Thanks for contributing some reality and common sense to all of this. As much as the trolls (I'm talking about society in general, not this thread or board) suck all the oxygen, I am heartened by the overall sense of "let's pull together and help each other" that we sometimes gloss over. We'll get through this.

Oh how I long for the days of Edward R Murrow!

I live in South Dakota, relatively isolated and with a rather low population with two "urban centers," the rest really distributed.
Our only real problem is I-90 running across the state, a path for infection to travel for certain.

We had 58 cases as of yesterday at noon, the cases have been doubling every three days.

The state has tested less than .25% of our population of 900.000, we have the capacity to test about 1,000 persons per day.

The Governor seems to have a pretty good handle on what she is doing though we don't have enough testing capability to Test and isolate.

In yesterday's news conference the Governor expressed her opinion that this won't be over by Easter, a statement I agree with.

Looking out my living room window, the Black Hills are beautiful, it is nearly 50 degrees, I might get the bike put back together this afternoon so I can go for a sanity ride by myself tomorrow.

God Bless you all.

Some perspective. There are approximately 7 billion people on planet earth. This morning the Fox News website says 615,000 people are infected (0.009%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting and there are really 1,230,000 infected (0.018%). 29,000 have died (0.0004%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting 58,000 have died (0.0008%).

There are approximately 330 million people in the USA. This morning the Fox News website says 105,000 people are infected (0.03%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting and there are really 210,000 infected (0.06%). 1,711 have died (0.0005%). Assuming a 100% error in reporting 3,422 have died (0.001%).

I think I have the math correct.

In 35-days, 0.0151% of Italy's population has died of COVID-19 (as of yesterday, 27 MAR 2020)). The US Influenza and pneumonia deaths for all of 2017 (365-days) was 0.0171% of the US population. Considering the current trends, Italy will surpass the 0.0171% of total population rate in a day or two. So, the same proportional number of deaths within ~1/10 the period of time. It not just the number of deaths, it's the time period and the amount of beds and equipment that are available per capita. For reference, Italy has ~17% more hospital beds per capita than the US.

According to the CDC, for the year 2017, the top causes of death are

Cause....................Per Capita Deaths
1) Heart Disease...........0.199%
2) Cancer....................0.184%
3) Accidents................0.052%
4) Chronic Respiratory....0.048%
5) Stroke.....................0.045%
6) Alzheimers................0.037%
7) Diabetes..................0.026%
8) Influenza/pneumonia..0.017%
9) Kidney Disease..........0.016%
10 Suicide....................0.014%