• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

One-way chain tensioner? '91 K100RS

O

OldAndBusted

Hi all, I'm doing valves on a 4v K100RS, they were fairly well out of spec. But while messing around with it, I think I may have let all tension go on the cam chain tensioner while the cams were out. I think I read that the tensioner is a one-way ratchet. The chain and sprockets sure are damn tight now when trying to get them back on the cams. Am I gonna have to open up the cam cover and mess with that ratchet mechanism to loosen it up again and reassemble it all? Anyone familiar with this stuff?

Thanks.

Am I gonna have to open up the cam cover and mess with that ratchet mechanism to loosen it up again and reassemble it all? Anyone familiar with this stuff?
Removing the lower cam cover access panel is a normal part of removing the cams.

As I recall (and someone will correct me if I'm wrong) the K100 4V cam chain tensioner arrangement is the same as the K12LT/RS arrangement. The piston for the adjuster is in a hole parallel to the timing chest cavity wall. The tensioner is not a ratchet; it is spring-loaded (with hydraulic support, too, IIRC).

Basically, you depress the piston inward and insert a pin into the small transverse hole to hold the piston back. That takes the tension off the chain.

CamTensioner_zpsd1fedc01.jpg

My bad! 1991 K100RS. I had worked on newer brick engines, LT I think, where the tensioner was movable by just pushing on it with a big screwdriver, like the one blett posted. But this one feels different, doesn't want to move...

If you pulled the cams without blocking the tensioner-there's a special tool for this-you'll have to remove the chain cover and tensioner and "wind" it back in. Marrk the hall sensor plate location so you don't have to reset the timing.

Damn, that's what I was afraid of. Thanks for confirming, though.

Back