• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1150RT -- Purpose of Pilot Light/Parking Light?

bobbymacd

I am still getting to know my 2004 RT and have two lighting questions:

1. What is the purpose of the pilot light (small bulb lower right of center in attached photo)?
2. My ignition switch has a position to the left (counter-clockwise) of the off position that is for a "parking light." However, nothing lights up when the key is in this position. Is that related to the pilot light? Is there some other light that is considered a parking light?

I couldn't find any explanations in the manuals....

Pilot light.JPG

One click past the steering lock position should activate the parking light and the tail light.

The intention is to make the bike visible if left on the side of the road at night in an emergency.

One click past the steering lock position should activate the parking light and the tail light.

The intention is to make the bike visible if left on the side of the road at night in an emergency.
Yes and, from what I am told, this is why you can't have a bike registered ("generally :evil") that does not have the battery- for the parking lights.
OM

OK...but I would certainly think twice about leaving the keys in the ignition if I had to leave the bike on the side of the road.;)

And wouldn't the hazard lights be better for that anyway?

Hazards are real effective but there is a lot more draw to the battery. Have you tried to remove the key in the "park" position?
OM

Parking Light History ?

Seems to me that I remember from the 70's that some European country(s) had a Medieval law that when you were parked in or on city streets that you were to have the "parking" lights illuminated. Or was that when you were parked on the sidewalk ? Might have been on a Butler and Smith BMW promo film.
Jog anyone's memory ?
Charlie

In answer to Question 1, I'm going to hazard a guess that "Parking Light Only" is one position of the headlight switch in Europe. It is on my Euro-equipped Ducati.

As for Question 2, I have two positions left of "Off". One is Locked and the other is Locked With Front Parking Light and Rear Tail Light Lit.

re post #6 - It's my understanding that, in this country, parking lights F&R are required by federal law (no I haven't looked it up); it's in case you have to pull over on to a shoulder or a similar situation.

A few months ago, there was a post from somebody who installed a multi-cell (non-directional) white LED in place of his parking light; I looked up the bulb and saw that a socket change seemed necessary (not a big deal).

I can also remove the key in the "Parking Lights" position - if somebody can't, you have an issue.

It's still in New Jerseys motor vehicle code that vehicles parked on the edge of a roadway must have their parking lights lit.

Back