• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Blue Ridge Parkway

I'm planning to ride the Blue Ridge to/from Asheville with a buddy the week of April 3. I am having an impossible time finding a standard multi-day itinerary. All the websites get to about 50% of the recommendations and then fall short (at least the ones I can find).

Anyone have an itinerary with lodging recs that they would be willing to share? I'll shower you with praise.

Thanks,
Gary

Most of the places for food on the BRP will not open until May 1. There are no gas stops on the parkway, but there are places off the parkway to get fuel, food, and for lodging.

The status of the parkway (e.g. closed sections due to fallen tree removal) can be found on the link below -

https://www.nps.gov/blri/index.htm

Following is another website related to the BRP (with links for lodging, food, attractions, etc.) -

https://www.blueridgeparkway.org/

The pace that one takes to complete the BRP (and you might as well include Skyline Drive that is just north of the BRP) is up to each individual. I found that a 3 or 4 day trip on a motorcycle with my wife was comfortable. We stopped at various locations to rest, eat, hike a bit, and see stuff. In early April one should be able to make lodging arrangements on a day-to-day basis. This would not work for travel in the fall when the leaves are at the peak color.

If they are now open to visitors, DO NOT MISS this pit-stop!
https://sierranevada.com/visit/north-carolina/taproom/
:beer
I've ridden many sections of the BRP at different times, but IMHO, don't get hung-up on riding the whole thing. It can be repetitious and tedious after awhile depending on the weather and "traffic" (aka Slowpokes). You can only go as fast as the caravan of cars stuck behind a pulled camper that you're now following... I know the park police can be overly intrusive because there are limited legal passing zones {maybe depends on their current levels of staffing & revenue production quotient...} Lastly, try to see if the sections you're planning are all Open - - we've been surprised by Construction Closures and mandatory, poorly-signed Detours! Hey, every outing is an ADVenture! Just Ride your own Ride, and don't sweat the small stuff.

Happy Trails on the BRP - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —&— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
:nod

If it's open, maybe ride it from Skyline Drive down to Ashville and then ride all the more fun stuff on your way back up.
I can't speak to anything south of Roanoke Va but as you get north of Roanoke, take the westerly route heading into WV and you'll be in motorcycle heaven.
Take a day trip into Marlinton and up towards Snowshoe Ski Area and then start heading back east. You'll love those areas.

Welcome to the forum Gary.
Peaks of Otter Lodge on the Parkway is not open until May. The restaurant is also closed until May.

We have stayed several times at the Wattstull Inn at Buchanan Virginia and really like it.
It has a good restaurant within walking distance and also a Shell station.
https://wattstullinn.com/lodging/

Wattstull (6).jpg

Wattstull (1).jpg

Fall Out on the pavement!
Two Bikes, Facing Me!!!

OMG! Two Immaculately Clean RS's in formation.
Someone's fer sure, got CDO! Jus Sayin....

That's OCD, Only Spelled Correctly! :laugh

Like Rob said- there are some closures that will extend well beyond the typical seasonal stuff that occurs annually. For example- there are a couple of sections around Roanoke VA that will be closed because the road is no longer there. Got washed out in heavy rains and such last summer. Last I heard these closures are scheduled to mid May, but could extend into June.

Basically- you will have to bail from the BRP well south of Roanoke, and find an alternate around the entire town. You should be able to get back on @460 from what I can see. (Maybe 24, but that just depends on how you choose to get around Roanoke)

With the snow, rain, snowmelt, and all that yet to come on the BRP- you better believe that anything you plan for today might not be worth a damn tomorrow.

Asheville

This is very helpful. Thank you.
I’m actually flying into Asheville and don’t believe that we will get that far north.
Any advice for riding southern portions? Places to stay?

Like Rob said- there are some closures that will extend well beyond the typical seasonal stuff that occurs annually. For example- there are a couple of sections around Roanoke VA that will be closed because the road is no longer there. Got washed out in heavy rains and such last summer. Last I heard these closures are scheduled to mid May, but could extend into June.

Basically- you will have to bail from the BRP well south of Roanoke, and find an alternate around the entire town. You should be able to get back on @460 from what I can see. (Maybe 24, but that just depends on how you choose to get around Roanoke)

With the snow, rain, snowmelt, and all that yet to come on the BRP- you better believe that anything you plan for today might not be worth a damn tomorrow.

This should be a fun trip. As you head South from Asheville, you'll pass a stop (if you care to make it) called "Devil's Courthouse." There's a parking lot and a trail up to the top for a great view. I'm not sure what the milemarker is for this spot.

DSC_5572.jpg

DSC_5574.jpg

Thank you for posting that Voni. I had to deal with some snow up here, and didn't get to send the reference.

The BRP is always a treat but safety is important:

IMG_3599.JPG

First week of April!
The parkway mostly runs at elevation, especially either side of Asheville.
Unless you get a magical 3 day window of travel, your going to see wet & chilly. Early spring... a "nice" day 4 likely will not happen.

And since there's not many/no leaves on the trees, you'll see farther and be tempted to ride faster.
And quite possibly get a performance award, as the authorities may be looking to "send the message" as their work season begins.

First week of April!
Unless you get a magical 3 day window of travel, your going to see wet & chilly.

Good point John. I’ve used the BRP to get to the MOA Fontana Getaway in late April a couple of times. I saw temps in the high 30s and low 40s often. Heated gear was cranked.

First week of April!
Unless you get a magical 3 day window of travel, your going to see wet & chilly. Early spring... a "nice" day 4 likely will not happen.

Sometimes you get lucky.
1986 we had planned to return home to Iowa from Florida taking a southern route.
It was the first week of April and the weather was perfect so we thought we would try the Parkway and Skyline Drive.
The weather was great all the way up to D.C.
It was nice not having leaves on the trees and the valleys did not have the normal haze.

We did have to hold up in Gettysburg 2 days because of snow west of us. That worked out also. We had been camping but got a motel in Gettysburg.
Took one day off and the other day we took a tour bus through the park.

March 1986_0045.jpg

Here are a couple of views taken along the road in early April 2016. They make it clear why it's call the "Blue Ridge."

IMG_2561.jpg

IMG_2531.jpg

Back