• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Kevin Ash's fatal January 2013 accident on a Wethead R1200GS - Any report from BMW??

Just wondering if BMW ever released, to the public, their report\findings regarding the above fatality?

Also, are wethead R1200GSs, then, or now, fitted with steering dampers?

Thanks for any insights\info,

Dave McDougall
2011 BMW R1200GS

BMW conducted an investigation and remained silent. A settlement was reached with Kevin Ash's widow. Production was delayed and delivered units came with a steering damper that was not fitted on the press intro bikes. The accident occurred on a gravel road section at a moderately brisk pace.

Kevin Duke from motorcycle.com, in his report from the press launch, stated:

However, the GS did disappoint me during a casual ride down an open dirt road. I was standing up to get cool air through my riding gear, traveling about 45 mph, when I encountered a washboard section. In an instant and with seemingly no provocation, the bike went into a wild tankslapper that threatened to throw me from the bike. It was a very panicked second before the steering regained its composure.

I doubt anything further will be released or known regarding the accident.

Production was delayed and delivered units came with a steering damper that was not fitted on the press intro bikes.

I don't think that is correct... in fact, I am sure it's not.

2013 GSWs DID not have a steering damper (a friend of mind has one and it does not have it). 2014 GSWs DO HAVE them now. My RT has one, I think it was decided for whatever reason after the 2013 model year that the new Waterheads needed one.

2013 GSWs DID not have a steering damper (a friend of mind has one and it does not have it). 2014 GSWs DO HAVE them now. My RT has one, I think it was decided for whatever reason after the 2013 model year that the new Waterheads needed one.

Agreed. :thumb

Curious how it is anyone would think any manufacturer would release such a report.

"Entitlement" is running amok, no?

Curious how it is anyone would think any manufacturer would release such a report.

"Entitlement" is running amok, no?

Agree. It is remarkable that corporations tend to keep secrets (with some notable exceptions) better than governments.

I was chimping what I had read, sorry if I had picked a bad source :blush
http://idratherberiding.com/2013/01/24/kevin-ash-dies-in-accident-at-the-2013-bmw-r1200gs-press-launch/

Back