• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

inflatable vests

Do a search and you should find a couple of fairly recent threads on the vest, including a review with video.

Hello,

Considering an Helite or Hit Air inflatable vest. Anybody using one and what are impressions?

Couple of years experience now with the Helite.

A very well engineered and constructed product. Have recommended it to others, who have bought one as well.

I demo'd it many times during a product review phase, later published in WING WORLD Magazine.

Will never ride without it! :thumb

Hello,

Considering an Helite or Hit Air inflatable vest. Anybody using one and what are impressions?

If you're near a rally or trade-show, the Helite folks do demonstrations. Having been a demonstration dummy, I was impressed and considering a future purchase.

I have the Hit-Air. Very very similar to the Helite. Except it is less expensive.

I purchased mine after a fellow rider on a forum I belong to went straight when the road curved. He has no idea why he went straight. His riding gear and helmet protected him from road rash and such. However, he had something like 17 broken bones in his chest, a fractured vertebrae and a crushed vertebrae. For weeks, it was touch and go as to if he'd survive. If he'd had one of these vests on, chances are he would've walked away from the crash.

The basic vest is much like a safety vest in appearance except it has a CO2 canister in the front hidden away in a pocket. A lanyard attached to the bike will pull a cord attached to the CO2 bottle, releasing the air. Before you hit the ground, the vest is inflated. The obvious parts that inflate are two tubes running vertical in the front and back. On the Hit-Air, you also get a section that inflates to protect your neck and collarbone. There's another that inflates and protects your tailbone.

The first time I used it was at an intersection where a teenager walked out in front of me, just as I gave the bike some gas and had the steering turned. I was down and laying against the curb before I knew what had happened. The thought occurred to me that this should hurt. I was laying up against the edge of the curb, but the vest was holding me off it. Without the vest, even on that simple a fall, I probably would've bruised or cracked a rib. With the vest, I got up feeling a little chagrined and realizing this was going to cost me $20 for a new CO2 cartridge.

I too wouldn't ride without it.

Chris

Inflatable vests started with the equestrian sports. Remember Chris Reeves?

The two I think you'd want to steer towards are the MLV-PY and the MLV-YC. I'm not sure the YC inflates above the shoulders to protect the neck and collarbone, and below the waist to protect the tailbone, but you can look. I have the PY.

MLV-PY http://www.safermoto.com/air-bag-vests/mlv-py/

MLV-YC http://www.safermoto.com/air-bag-vests/mlv-yc/

I bought mine from these people, though it seems you can find them at many locations. Safermoto looks to be a mom and pop store. Customer service is good from what I've found.

Chris

I have the Hit-Air. Very very similar to the Helite. Except it is less expensive.

I purchased mine after a fellow rider on a forum I belong to went straight when the road curved. He has no idea why he went straight. His riding gear and helmet protected him from road rash and such. However, he had something like 17 broken bones in his chest, a fractured vertebrae and a crushed vertebrae. For weeks, it was touch and go as to if he'd survive. If he'd had one of these vests on, chances are he would've walked away from the crash.

The basic vest is much like a safety vest in appearance except it has a CO2 canister in the front hidden away in a pocket. A lanyard attached to the bike will pull a cord attached to the CO2 bottle, releasing the air. Before you hit the ground, the vest is inflated. The obvious parts that inflate are two tubes running vertical in the front and back. On the Hit-Air, you also get a section that inflates to protect your neck and collarbone. There's another that inflates and protects your tailbone.

The first time I used it was at an intersection where a teenager walked out in front of me, just as I gave the bike some gas and had the steering turned. I was down and laying against the curb before I knew what had happened. The thought occurred to me that this should hurt. I was laying up against the edge of the curb, but the vest was holding me off it. Without the vest, even on that simple a fall, I probably would've bruised or cracked a rib. With the vest, I got up feeling a little chagrined and realizing this was going to cost me $20 for a new CO2 cartridge.

I too wouldn't ride without it.

Chris

Just out of curiosity, what is the retail price for that brand of air-bag vest? :scratch

OK. "Took the trouble" to look at the links.

The MLV-PY only has two retaining straps across the front, vs. 3 for the Helite, and construction seems a tad thin. Also looks like too much inflated-bladder restriction across the diaphragm - could cause some critical breathing restriction during a crash.

To each their own, but I'd spend an extra $100 and get a Helite. :thumb

Since there are videos showing the Hit-Air being used on race tracks where the racer falls, I'd say that's proof the number of straps is sufficient. For anyone not familiar with these, after the air bag vest is used, you simply repack the bladder in the outer shell of the vest and replace the CO2 cartridge. In the case of the racers in the video, they did that and were ready to use it in the next race.

As for the construction being "a tad thin"...Greenwald...how did you figure this out from a picture? Did you zoom in to the point the picture became all grainy? Or are you just trying to justify spending another $100?

Chris

Hello,

FYI, I don't work for either company, so no 'justification' of expenditure is implied here.

Like helmets, you just buy the best vest you can afford. Most important thing is to wear one - they really are a game-changer in crash safety for recreational motorcycling.

Ride safe and often! :thumb

ordered jacket

considered all options-decided to order Hit Air Motorrad 2 Enduro jacket. Billed as 4 season ( if use vest underneath) and I thought better to have the jacket that I would put on versus the vest that I may get lazy and not put on. (know myself to well) I'll give a review after I have received and tried it on some rides. Thanks for all the input and discussion

waiting on jacket

Just a short update-ordered Hit Air Motorrad Enduro 2 in a large. Too small for me-exchanging for XL. The build quality and styling looks great. Will post again when I get the larger jacket. Some of the sizing options on the fitment chart from Hit Air overlap-go with the larger size.

Just a short update-ordered Hit Air Motorrad Enduro 2 in a large. Too small for me-exchanging for XL. The build quality and styling looks great. Will post again when I get the larger jacket. Some of the sizing options on the fitment chart from Hit Air overlap-go with the larger size.

Good point. They are Asian sizes and generally have to go one up in size.

I have a older Hit-Air and it can be quite toasty on a hot day. I'd hope the new ones breath a little better. They are built quite well.

I posted a picture on another thread of 2016 GSA that was wrecked on the Top of the World highway a few days ago. The rider had only a broken leg and ankle, which is pretty remarkable given the circumstances of the wreck. He was wearing an inflatable vest which is likely the reason for the lack of other injuries.

Back