• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Constantly being logged out of bmwmoa.org

jpcarroll

For a number of weeks now, I seem to have to constantly re-login to bmwmoa.org. Sometimes it's within minutes, and sometimes within days. Previously I would stay logged-in for long periods of time. And yes, I always check "Remember me".

Has something changed at bmwmoa.org or is this on my end? I'm not aware of any changes on my end and don't see this issue with other forum sites.

TIA, John

John -

Nothing has changed on the MOA's end. You might try logging out on purpose and see if that helps clean up the cookies...also go to the main website and log out there as well. Also, there's a way to use setting in the browser to clear cookies for specifically the MOA forum.

For a number of weeks now, I seem to have to constantly re-login to bmwmoa.org. Sometimes it's within minutes, and sometimes within days. Previously I would stay logged-in for long periods of time. And yes, I always check "Remember me".

Has something changed at bmwmoa.org or is this on my end? I'm not aware of any changes on my end and don't see this issue with other forum sites.

TIA, John

Some first things to try-

Try clearing your history/cookies from your browser.

If you are using a desk or laptop, how does it react with your smartphone?

Try using a different device- other than your own and see what happens.

Some people never log out and things stay "stable". Some log in and out and this can result in a problem like you describe.

Let us know how you make out.

OM

If you have your browser set to reject cookies, the site won't be able to recognize you.

Did you turn on all the security stuff in your browser? Because rejecting cookies will cause exactly what you're describing to happen.

I see the message "All cookies cleared" after a deliberate log-off. I had browser tabs logged into different areas of bmwmoa.org. I logged out of all of them. Will see if this resolves the problem.

Up until recently, I rarely was forced to re-login.

For some unknown reason, I’m always prompted to sign in when I load the MOA page, which I never do, and I always show as signed in on the forums page. Go figure.

Doug

I see the message "All cookies cleared" after a deliberate log-off. I had browser tabs logged into different areas of bmwmoa.org. I logged out of all of them. Will see if this resolves the problem.

Up until recently, I rarely was forced to re-login.

Less than 24 hours since I logged-out of all my bmwmoa.org tabs, and only logged back into one tab for this forum, I just got logged-out again.

I'll try manually clearing cookies.

Edit:
Logging out said "all cookies cleared". In Chrome, I found 164 cookies associated with bmwmoa.org and I've deleted them and re-logged in. Will see what this does.

OK, so you know, here's how cookies work. They're a tracking object and if the MOA site doesn't see a cookie it placed there or your browser won't let it set a cookie, it will forget who you are.

Clearing cookies may be exacerbating your issue. If you're using a browser and you've disabled cookies, the site won't be able to "remember" who you are. I use a Mac and in Safari settings, there's a Privacy tab with "Block All Cookies". It's unchecked because if I checked it any site that uses a cookie to remember me will be broken.

I'd start diagnosis here: "Is your browser allowing the MOA site to set cookies". It needs to be able to do that or it'll keep logging you out when you change pages and the site looks to see who you are.

I hope that's helpful.

OK, so you know, here's how cookies work. They're a tracking object and if the MOA site doesn't see a cookie it placed there or your browser won't let it set a cookie, it will forget who you are.

Clearing cookies may be exacerbating your issue. If you're using a browser and you've disabled cookies, the site won't be able to "remember" who you are. I use a Mac and in Safari settings, there's a Privacy tab with "Block All Cookies". It's unchecked because if I checked it any site that uses a cookie to remember me will be broken.

I'd start diagnosis here: "Is your browser allowing the MOA site to set cookies". It needs to be able to do that or it'll keep logging you out when you change pages and the site looks to see who you are.

I hope that's helpful.

Thanks Dave, I know how cookies work. And as I noted in my OP, I haven't made any changes to cookie handling. I do not have "Block All Cookies" checked and MOA is not prevented from setting cookies. Since re-logging in, bmwmoa.org has generated 25 new cookies, so this isn't the problem.

A setting of interest that is enabled under Chrome "Performance" is the "Memory Saver" which is supposed to free up memory of inactive tabs. I have a good many tabs open in a number of Chrome windows. I wonder if this was affecting the login status if the bmwmoa.org tab had it's memory freed. Description just says tab is active again when selected...not very informative. Anyway, there's an option to add sites that will always remain active and I've added bmwmoa.org

I'll report back...

Thanks Dave, I know how cookies work. And as I noted in my OP, I haven't made any changes to cookie handling. I do not have "Block All Cookies" checked and MOA is not prevented from setting cookies. Since re-logging in, bmwmoa.org has generated 25 new cookies, so this isn't the problem.

A setting of interest that is enabled under Chrome "Performance" is the "Memory Saver" which is supposed to free up memory of inactive tabs. I have a good many tabs open in a number of Chrome windows. I wonder if this was affecting the login status if the bmwmoa.org tab had it's memory freed. Description just says tab is active again when selected...not very informative. Anyway, there's an option to add sites that will always remain active and I've added bmwmoa.org

I'll report back...

:thumb

Good luck, man.

It's been 9 days since adding bmwmoa.org to the Chrome Memory Saver "sites that always remain active", and I haven't been logged-out since.

Back