• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Rode today!!!

the Wizard of Oz
Maybe slightly above 30 really, i suppose, but way plenty cold enough for me! Rode from the shop where I had new speedo and clock installed trying to get it perfect for sale. But the fairing kept me ...well not toasty warm, but pretty darned comfortable. Heated grips would have made the difference in turning me into a genuine rounder. But she's all ready for the buyer who I know is out there...somewhere.... waiting....for Spring. :whistle

Were you at Cycle Werks, perchance?
I think it got to 33 here in the Glen today, man that is hardcore.

I day dreamed about riding today, does that count?
It was 6 degrees at 8am then it warmed up to 15 and I went out for 3 hours shoveling and using the snow thrower to clean up the remnants of 24 inches of the "Anit-Ride" stuff. The sun was shining though, and it did hit 32, and all I could think about was riding.

What exactly are you selling?

still cold

It sure didn't feel like 33, tho' that's about what the weather icon on my computer said. Skilling said it would be above freezing, but man! it was only a hair above.

Yep. Cycle Werks. Great shop. Always has been. Hadn't seen Jonh K in some time. They installed a new diode mounts, clock and speedo in the '78 RS I'm trying to sell. Got an 11RT w topcase for my son to lean against. O-ree-gon, here we come!!

I had on my thermal undershirt, silk balaclava, lined overpants, and the liner in my jacket. No electrics today. Only a short ride; about 20 mi. The only thing that got cold was my fingertips. i recently bought new winter gloves, but clutch and brake levers still transmit the cold.

The bike, however started right up first turn of the starter and ran like a little top. Now she's in cousin Mark's garage w the charger plugged in, all snuggled in for a long winter's nap.

They sure like that kind of weather.

I passed on getting Gerbings gloves, and opted for their electric glove liners. Danced nice and I don't have the luxury of that RS fairing...yet (still sanding).

Yep. Cycle Werks. Great shop. Always has been. Hadn't seen John K in some time.

Guy and all the mechanics are great too. Actually I've had good interaction with John although I've heard if he doesn't like you you're in trouble, he's always been decent to me.

drop off service

Ditto. Guy and the other fellas in the shop have been great to me. Very generous w both time and info. I suddenly can't think of the youger tech's name....Steve? recent crash/limp/therapy/airhead. Another great guy. Took special pains w my RS, tuning, anylising and test-driving.

Yeah, I think my wife paved the way for me w John. We bought her R65 from him 20-odd years ago and he's been very gracious ever since. Not that he wouldn't have been pleasant to me on my own, but our wives do more than drop us off and pick us up at the shop, don't they? :laugh

Okay you guys knock it off!

As I write this it is -27.5C heading downward with ice fog settling in the low spots. Sigh, time to open a bottle of Cockfighter's Ghost (Shiraz)... ooops wrong thread.

:lol

Very cold here, too...all the way down into the mid-sixties...and on top of that, it's raining...

25 degrees in Boston area today. Put about 70 miles on the 84 R100RT. Comfortable as heck - full fairing, heated jacket and gloves, long underwear, jeans, boots, and helmet. I could put on the hippo hands and figure out a bit more heat to the feet (tucking them behind the cylinders is pretty good but they do tend to be the first parts to feel the cold) and take off another 10-20 degrees and still ride all day.

Supposed to hit the 40s tomorrow, but of course the price is...rain! Today was the day, glad I got out there.

Happy rides to all, warm climes and otherwise.

Very cold here, too...all the way down into the mid-sixties...and on top of that, it's raining...
....You suck! :blah ...rainging, hell, ya still oughtta ride, after all its in the mid sixties (I miss NorCal).

Just finished a nice stogie in the porch in 30 funny lovin' degrees. I read Keelerb's post and now, more than ever I wanna get my freshly painted RT fairing (red is gone, all black now) on for a ride tomorrow, rain or shine. I have a heat vest, Gerbings heated glove liners...haven't made it to the socks yet.

One thing I've noticed, the ol' gal LOVES this weather!!! :german

Annapolis, confirmed, the airhead ran incredibly well today (after warming up - I run 20W-50 Redline synthetic oil in the engine year round). It just wanted to GOOOOO! It's generally like that, but today was probably the best I've ever experienced it running - just wanted more and more (me too!).

andale, El Nino!

only 8:00 a.m. and it's already 34 in Chicago! 'nother riding day here! :dance

But I miss Sundays out by the Rock Store, Mullholland, and Malibu Cyn. Watchin' the squids go past. And ain't Latigo a wild little stretch of road!? And that great Crab Shack just N of Zuma!

Could be a while before we see 60 here again, but it's an El Nino year. I'm not giving up hope for some weird weather. Back in the mid-90's when we first lived in So Cal, there were several January days w temps higher in Chgo than LA. C'mon El Nino!!:jose

Last edited:
I salute you, man. While the roads are clear here (relatively) the side streets, parking lots, driveways are a veritable skating rink.

An aside, I cannot recall the tech's name either although I think he's lucky to be alive based on the story associated with his wreck and subsequent recovery.
He has a good attitude about the whole experience though and continues to ride. Beyond that he's a good technician, takes the time to talk to me and show me what he thinks needs to be done and why. Cycle Werks has what, 4 bays and maybe 3 or 4 techs including Guy. I don't know how things are done elsewhere but I have been invited in several times to see work in progress and get an explanation as to what and why, very cool. The building they occupy is very interesting, I've never been up to the third floor but I have heard stories about some of the treasure they have up there.

Be careful out there!

Haven't been upstairs in many years, but John had some wonderful restorations when I first started doing business w them. I heard the brothers have recently sold the business, but spoke to John in his office yesterday. i didn't ask what the situ was. Figured I'd find out sooner or later. I hoping things kinda stay the same, of course. They're an ez train ride for me when I need service, and as we've said the service is great.
PS temp on my home page STILL says 34 an hour ad a half later. I'm gonna pray louder and see if it helps:ear

Last edited:
We get a bit of cold weather up here, and I found my RS to be reasonably comfortable at the freezing level, even wearing unlined sport leathers.

one mo time!

Got in a short ride again yesterday before we started the xmaz decs, but yeah the RS fairing is awesome in the cold and inclement. A cozy little cockpit. I'll admit not so great stuck in traffic when it's 95 degrees and high humidity, but even then, it still looks "cool!":laugh

I've got a couple hours before i have to appear at the "w" word. Think I might go out for one more quicky....36 on Dec 14...in Chicago! am i a rounder yet? ....I think not.

I've got a couple hours before i have to appear at the "w" word. Think I might go out for one more quicky....36 on Dec 14...in Chicago! am i a rounder yet? ....I think not.
Compared to these whiners complaining about rain, you are. I was mightily impressed with the RS fairing when I was out last November at about freezing. For your hands, just put on some snowmobile gloves. Otherwise, it's a remarkably toasty ride even without electric clothing, with enough leather keeping the wind off. Of course, your feet are never cold. :thumb

am i a rounder yet? ....I think not.

* 100's+ Red Hot Rounder
* 90's Sweating Rounder
* 80's Half Baked Rounder
* 70's - R&R (Rounder Relaxing)
* 60's -Jr. Rounder (Just Riding)
* 50's - LOTF Rounder (Looking Over The Fence)
* 40's - FOTF Rounder (Fringe of the Fringe)
* 30's - Half Rounder
* 20's - TQ Rounder (Three Quarts)
* 0-20 - Rounder
* Sub Zero - KHOF Rounder (Kook Hall of Fame)

http://www.yearroundriders.com/

I don't think that I will go to KHOF, though my neighbors think that I am. It is not really the temperature that is the problem, it's the nasty stuff that they put on the roads. If the roads are perfectly dry ... I like to race the snowmobilers.

:bikes

Back