• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2023 Richmond VA: The 50th National MOA Rally

Hi all.

I think this might be my first post on the MOA forum. I spend too much time (according to the better half) on the ADVrider site (same user name).

I'll be attending my first MOA National this year. Pretty excited as this will also be my first long distance trip on the bike. So I'm in the planning phase and am curious about what's typical from a food vendor perspective on the rally grounds? Obviously there are plenty of options in the area. But what's it like "at the rally?"

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But trying to decide what and/or how much to bring with me. I've been to a few local rallies with the typical coffee, donuts, a food vendor or two if you want to grab a burger and fries, and the Saturday night dinner. Just not sure what to expect at the national.

Thanks in advance and can't wait for the experience!

Jason

Hi all.

I think this might be my first post on the MOA forum. I spend too much time (according to the better half) on the ADVrider site (same user name).

I'll be attending my first MOA National this year. Pretty excited as this will also be my first long distance trip on the bike. So I'm in the planning phase and am curious about what's typical from a food vendor perspective on the rally grounds? Obviously there are plenty of options in the area. But what's it like "at the rally?"

Maybe I'm overthinking it. But trying to decide what and/or how much to bring with me. I've been to a few local rallies with the typical coffee, donuts, a food vendor or two if you want to grab a burger and fries, and the Saturday night dinner. Just not sure what to expect at the national.

Jason

Howdy Jason, great question for this year!
It Will actually take a response from the Rally leadership to specifically answer in depth.
However, my long tenure of consecutive nationals have seen a lot…
Of varying good and not so good.
We’re doing better overall the last decade, I’ll say that.
If we’re in/near a large metro area, as we are this year.. it’s usually very good selection.
For all the meals & offerings. The one sore spot nearly everyone will commit on…
Many providers run out of their popular offerings, probably every rally!
They simply underestimate our “staying power”…
where a great many of us put kickstands down and eat 2 or 3 meals a day for 3 or 4 days!
I’ve had some great and unique cuisine at many nationals.
Hope for the same at our 50th!
Time will tell.
Rally Planners to the Forum please… your answer appreciated.
We are just 75 days away from a big Friday eating frenzy!

Last edited:
Glenlivet and I will be departing our home in Northern Vermont on the Monday before the rally, cramming as many secondary roads as possible into the trip. We'll drop down the western side of Vermont to Hoosick NY then catch 22 south to the north end of the Taconic Parkway. We'll likely stop for the night somewhere between Port Jervis NY and Stroudsburg PA to be rested up for the following day. 895 west to New Ringold PA, then south down into Amish country to the east and south of Lancaster PA. (Not a huge fan of touristy places.) It's always interesting observing the different rules of the different Amish orders.

We'll probably stop on either side of Gettysburg - Hanover PA to the east or Thurmond MD to the south - depending on progress. Sometimes we find ourselves in a place so magical the timeline takes second fiddle and we just enjoy the moment. Other times a location doesn't live up to its reputation and we simply move along briskly.

From there past Antietam and on to Front Royal. We'll do Skyline Drive to 211 before diverting over to Culpeper VA on back roads, down past Bumpass VA to the rally, arriving Wednesday afternoon as we have the first Public Safety shift Thursday morning. We have a hotel room reserved just in case, but we're hoping for decent conditions so we can cancel it and camp with friends.

PeteBugRally.jpg

Glenlivet and I will be departing our home in Northern Vermont on the Monday before the rally, cramming as many secondary roads as possible into the trip. We'll drop down the western side of Vermont to Hoosick NY then catch 22 south to the north end of the Taconic Parkway. We'll likely stop for the night somewhere between Port Jervis NY and Stroudsburg PA to be rested up for the following day. 895 west to New Ringold PA, then south down into Amish country to the east and south of Lancaster PA. (Not a huge fan of touristy places.) It's always interesting observing the different rules of the different Amish orders.

We'll probably stop on either side of Gettysburg - Hanover PA to the east or Thurmond MD to the south - depending on progress. Sometimes we find ourselves in a place so magical the timeline takes second fiddle and we just enjoy the moment. Other times a location doesn't live up to its reputation and we simply move along briskly.

From there past Antietam and on to Front Royal. We'll do Skyline Drive to 211 before diverting over to Culpeper VA on back roads, down past Bumpass VA to the rally, arriving Wednesday afternoon as we have the first Public Safety shift Thursday morning. We have a hotel room reserved just in case, but we're hoping for decent conditions so we can cancel it and camp with friends.

View attachment 91281

Once again our paths may cross or come close .... we're leaving Charlotte on Friday May 26th and heading up to East Aurora to pick up 2 Canadian buddies and then another in Rochester. From there we stay in Watertown NY, Lake Placid, Stowe VT, Rangeley ME, Camden ME, Rutland VT, Elmira NY, Cumberland MD, Harrisonburg VA and then over 211 to Skyline Drive and on to Glen Allen VA where we'll be staying for the Rally. We'll average about 260 miles a day with longest day being about 340.

Also, if anyone has POI suggestions along the way they would be welcomed.

Ed - some local advice on roads to follow in my neck of the woods. Break out your maps.

From Watertown NY take 3 east to Saranac Lake, 86 to Lake Placid, then 73 to Keene NY. Take 9N to just past I-87, then 59 to Wadhams NY then 22 to the ferry landing at Essex NY. Cross Lake Champlain on the ferry to Charlotte VT. Take Hwy 7 south a few miles to 17. Take 17 over the scenic and very technical Appalachian Gap to VT-100, then follow 100 to Stowe. (We used to live there till tourism pressure got crazy, but can recommend a few outstanding eateries.)

From Stowe take VT-108 over Smugglers Notch (best on weekday mornings) through the town of Jeffersonville to VT-109. Follow 109 a couple miles and just after a majestic old barn turn right on Hogback Road. Follow Hogback a few miles till it ends at VT-15, turn left onto 15 and continue thru the towns of Johnson and Morrisville. About seven miles from Morrisville just past the Wolcott Garage turn left onto North Wolcott Rd and take it 8 miles to VT-14. Turn left on 14 and pass through the town of Albany VT (Albany General Store has a great little deli). At Irasburg turn right onto 58. After four miles or so turn right on Lake Region Rd and follow it to Hwy 5. (Or continue on 58 to Orleans if you need gas, and pick up Hwy 5 from there.) Take 5 past Crystal Lake to the tiny town of West Burke, then turn left onto 5A. That will take you past Lake Willoughby, one of the prettiest lakes in New England. At Westmore turn right onto Hwy 105. Stay on 105 through the town of Island Pond all the way to Bloomfield. US-3 will take you to Colebrook, then 26 over Dixville Notch to Errol NH, then 16 into Maine all the way to Rangeley.

Lemme know if you want recommendations from the coast back to Rutland VT. There are some roads you really don't want to miss.

Pete

Ed - some local advice on roads to follow in my neck of the woods. Break out your maps.

From Watertown NY take 3 east to Saranac Lake, 86 to Lake Placid, then 73 to Keene NY. Take 9N to just past I-87, then 59 to Wadhams NY then 22 to the ferry landing at Essex NY. Cross Lake Champlain on the ferry to Charlotte VT. Take Hwy 7 south a few miles to 17. Take 17 over the scenic and very technical Appalachian Gap to VT-100, then follow 100 to Stowe. (We used to live there till tourism pressure got crazy, but can recommend a few outstanding eateries.)

From Stowe take VT-108 over Smugglers Notch (best on weekday mornings) through the town of Jeffersonville to VT-109. Follow 109 a couple miles and just after a majestic old barn turn right on Hogback Road. Follow Hogback a few miles till it ends at VT-15, turn left onto 15 and continue thru the towns of Johnson and Morrisville. About seven miles from Morrisville just past the Wolcott Garage turn left onto North Wolcott Rd and take it 8 miles to VT-14. Turn left on 14 and pass through the town of Albany VT (Albany General Store has a great little deli). At Irasburg turn right onto 58. After four miles or so turn right on Lake Region Rd and follow it to Hwy 5. (Or continue on 58 to Orleans if you need gas, and pick up Hwy 5 from there.) Take 5 past Crystal Lake to the tiny town of West Burke, then turn left onto 5A. That will take you past Lake Willoughby, one of the prettiest lakes in New England. At Westmore turn right onto Hwy 105. Stay on 105 through the town of Island Pond all the way to Bloomfield. US-3 will take you to Colebrook, then 26 over Dixville Notch to Errol NH, then 16 into Maine all the way to Rangeley.

Lemme know if you want recommendations from the coast back to Rutland VT. There are some roads you really don't want to miss.

Pete

Thanks Pete! Much appreciated. I took as much of your advice as I could (guys I'm with want to ride up to the top of Lake Champlain and skip the ferry ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/qhNiy5nKa2Qj37GM9

I mapped out your suggestions from Stowe to Rangeley. This looks really nice. Now I just need to get "the guys" on board with it.

https://goo.gl/maps/PHnWMKoSeEkwEu6h6

Thanks!

We're staying right IN Stowe at Green Mountain Inn and Tavern so any suggestions for dining we can walk to would be great!

We're staying right IN Stowe at Green Mountain Inn and Tavern so any suggestions for dining we can walk to would be great!

US-2 through the islands is okay, but IMO nothing more. Consider a couple alternatives.

1: After crossing the lake into VT take Hwy 78 to 105, 105 skirting the Canadian border to 242. 242 will take you up and over Jay Peak which is a nice mountain road with scenic sweepers past the ski resort and down into the town of Montgomery Center. Catch 58 over the Hazen Notch (generally well-maintained dirt road with maples arching over the roadway) to Lowell, then follow VT-100 south to North Hyde Park, from there 100C to Johnson, 15 south to Jeffersonville, and 108 over Smugglers Notch to Stowe.

2: If your group is determined to follow US-2 through the islands instead of taking the Interstate go north a few miles on Hwy 7 to 104A. Follow that to Fairfax, 104 to Cambridge and Jeffersonville, then 108 up and over Smugglers Notch to Stowe. (Taking I-89 to Waterbury and 100 into Stowe is not particularly scenic and that stretch of 100 is a MAJOR conduit for tourism events with all the associated traffic.)

The Whip is the restaurant on the ground floor of the Green Mountain Inn. It's one of our favorite restaurants in Stowe, just phenomenal food and service. Directly across the street is Harrison's, another epic choice but so popular reservations are hard to get. I've heard good things about The Plate just down Main Street near the church, but as it used to be the town funeral home locals tend not to eat there. If you want fantastic Italian food Trattoria La Festa about six miles up the Mountain Road toward the ski resort is the place to eat. For a light breakfast there is a small diner/bakeshop adjacent to the inn on Main St.

If your group is absolutely determined to take the Interstate and VT-100 to Stowe, PM me and I'll share a dirt road from Waterbury that will take you through a covered bridge and land you in the backside of the parking lot at the Green Mountain Inn, avoiding all the tourist traffic.

Thanks Pete! Much appreciated. I took as much of your advice as I could (guys I'm with want to ride up to the top of Lake Champlain and skip the ferry ride.

https://goo.gl/maps/qhNiy5nKa2Qj37GM9

I like Pete's route better.
Debbie also gave route 2 a thumbs down.
If they want to go part way up Lake Champlain you can take the ferry at Plattsburg, NY.
I see your route goes through Ausable Chasm. Stop at the bridge for a view.
Ausable Chasm.JPG

I like Pete's route better.
Debbie also gave route 2 a thumbs down.
If they want to go part way up Lake Champlain you can take the ferry at Plattsburg, NY.
I see your route goes through Ausable Chasm. Stop at the bridge for a view.
View attachment 91290

Yup ...taking Pete's route all the way except skipping the ferry.

Yes planning on going to the bridge and seeing the Chasm. Funny I have attended Americade nearly 30 times in Lake George and never been to the AuSable Chasm. When I saw how close we were I added it to the route.

Yup ...taking Pete's route all the way except skipping the ferry.

No, I meant I liked this route better.

"From Watertown NY take 3 east to Saranac Lake, 86 to Lake Placid, then 73 to Keene NY. Take 9N to just past I-87, then 59 to Wadhams NY then 22 to the ferry landing at Essex NY. Cross Lake Champlain on the ferry to Charlotte VT. Take Hwy 7 south a few miles to 17. Take 17 over the scenic and very technical Appalachian Gap to VT-100, then follow 100 to Stowe."

We usually cross the lake at the Essex ferry or the bridge near Fort Henry NY. This sets you up for some great Vt roads.

Hi all.

Jason
I would plan for the worst, researching what is close by that sounds good, and hope to be pleasantly surprised with what food's available at the rally site.

Last year (camping) at Springfield, other than the bbq joint, the food was terrible. I believe the rally organizers had no control of that. I was more disappointed with the lack of easily-available cold or even cool water to refill my water bottle.

Like FlyHi says, it can be hit and miss. I've only been to three National rallies, 2004, 2021 and 2022 and my 2¢ recommendation is get a hotel or AirB&B close to a restaurant or at least an Applebee's. Or find out where the nearest grocery store is.

I'm sorry to say that I left the rally a day early, heading north in search of cooler weather.

YMMV

... and a few Committees need folks as soon as Monday morning June 5th.

Get your 50th Rally experience started early!

John, I just followed your link to volunteers and other than the Public Safety and Volunteers Committees, there really aren’t a lot of advanced volunteers, including for the setup of the Rally on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

All volunteer positions are essential to the success of the National Rally and as much as I know that many will volunteer once they are on site, much pressured is removed from the committee chairs with members submitting their names in advance of opening day.

Volunteers are especially essential for the setup and opening day.

I urge all who are going to Richmond this June, to please submit their names to at least one volunteer position well in advance of the Rally.

Much of the Rallly’s success is dependent on volunteers!

I would plan for the worst, researching what is close by that sounds good, and hope to be pleasantly surprised with what food's available at the rally site.

Last year (camping) at Springfield, other than the bbq joint, the food was terrible. I believe the rally organizers had no control of that. I was more disappointed with the lack of easily-available cold or even cool water to refill my water bottle.

The Des Moines fairgrounds usually has plenty of food vendors for any events and not all of it is the typical State Fair fried food.
We were disappointed when we saw there were only a few vendors available. There were plenty of places close by downtown but we were working full time so we did not feel like leaving the site at night to eat.
When I asked the rally chair why more of the food vendors were not open he said the MOA had a contract with the Fairground board to provide food vendors but it was up to the Fairground board to decide how many vendors they would have open.
The Fairground underestimated how many would stay on site for meals.

... and a few Committees need folks as soon as Monday morning June 5th.

Get your 50th Rally experience started early!

We’re signed up for Public Safety Thursday morning so will be arriving sometime on Wednesday to settle in with my vicious security dog. But there are too many variables to pin down our actual arrival time so volunteering Wednesday is iffy. Will there be a place before the official opening where we can check for last minute positions needing warm bodies?

Ed, here's my suggestion for the run from Camden ME to Rutland VT.

Hwy 17 west from Camden to Gardiner just across the Kennebec River. From there pick up 126 and continue west to Auburn just across the Androscoggin River. From there 121 to the Little Androscoggin River, then secondary roads to Poland ME. Hwy 11 down to US-302 west into New Hampshire to the shire town of Conway. Plenty of good restaurants and gas stations there. Catch Hwy 112 over the incredible Kancamagus Pass (enjoy the scenery but pay attention to the warning signs by the hairpin curve on the far side!) thru the town of Lincoln (more decent eateries) and continue on 112 till it rejoins US-302 just shy of Wells River VT. Shortly past I-91 and the P&H Truck Stop turn north on North Bayley Hazen Rd thru the little towns of Ryegate and Peacham VT up to West Danville VT. Turn left on US-2 and continue to Hwy 232 just past the Marshfield Reservoir on your left. 232 is one of those great roads only locals seem to know about. It will wind its way thru the Groton State Forest and dump you back on US-302. Continue west on 302 to 110 just past the town of Orange. 110 goes past a few covered bridges and terminates at 14 in South Royalton. Turn right on 14, then left onto 107. Take 107 to its end at a junction with VT-100. Continue south (great General Store and Deli in Pittsfield) to US-4 and follow 4 over the hill into Rutland.

Note that in Vermont it is NOT illegal to pass on a double yellow if you can do so safely. That's a nod to the presence of agricultural equipment on the roads but is widely applied to all slow moving vehicles. The caveat is that if a crash results you will likely be judged at least a contributing cause.

I'm going to edit a previous suggestion in the Stowe to Rangeley route:

Replace that section with Continue on 15 thru the village of Wolcott to the town of Hardwick. Go left at the flashing light to stay on 15. A couple miles beyond Hardwick turn left on VT-16 and continue thru the town of Glover to Barton. Catch 5 in Barton and continue as above.

John, I just followed your link to volunteers and other than the Public Safety and Volunteers Committees, there really aren’t a lot of advanced volunteers, including for the setup of the Rally on the Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday.

All volunteer positions are essential to the success of the National Rally and as much as I know that many will volunteer once they are on site, much pressured is removed from the committee chairs with members submitting their names in advance of opening day.

Volunteers are especially essential for the setup and opening day.

I urge all who are going to Richmond this June, to please submit their names to at least one volunteer position well in advance of the Rally.

Much of the Rallly’s success is dependent on volunteers!

…. add three Committees I know of with vacancies. SIGNS - RV Check-in - Country Store.
The Country Store alone has 60+ shifts as of this posting.

The message is, while most folks know the first day of the Rally is Thursday,
... a lot of work is accomplished ahead of that.

Your thought of contacting someone ahead of arrival (Committee Chair of desired interest)
even if asking to be put on standby… a great idea!

You would know as an experienced Volunteer Committee Chairman.

Answering Pete's question above in Post #176: When arriving early (before Thursday)...
I've found it easy to locate the Rally's Indoor Vendor Building/Arena.
That's always the hub of activity for receiving and communication.
Quite easy to spot a knowledgebale person of MOA authority that can point you to the Volunteer Desk.
You say you want to help somewhere doing something for a few hours... your greeted with open arms!

Last edited:
Volunteer at rally

Part of the problem could be how "sign up genius" works with older android phones.

I just tried signing up+ after clicking the icon, " "sign up genius" showed... But the volunteer charts never did.
I blame it on my older phone. Please chime in...

Back