• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1987 K75S Issue

A

arebin

I haven't gotten all the parts yet, but I have another small question.

The mesh screen filter that attaches to the bottom of the pump has an inlet port on the top of it. There was only a broken off piece of fuel line on the fitting. What might this be? Perhaps a hose to run over the hump in to make sure as much fuel as possible is picked up? :bolt

That hose connects to an aluminum tube at the top of the tank, just to the rear of the filler opening. No clamps required. :thumb

:dance :dance :dance

Sounds like corroded injectors

Sounds suspiciously like what happened when I let my wife's '94 K75S sit for 10 months with a partial tank of gas and no fuel stabilizer.
I ended up paying about $700 for rebuilt fuel injectors to replace those that were corroded by my neglect.
I hope you can dodge that particular bullet.
Good luck.

Wrrrrrrrr. She runs! And pretty well too. :brad

I'll be getting a set of rebuilt injectors on Tuesday. I figured that they were likely a bit suspect too.

But, I am having a problem with the tank to chassis electrical connector (4 wires/pins). Seemed to be badly corroded. I've cleaned it as well as I can with WD-40 and dielectric grease, but it still only gets the power to the pump if you pull the wires to the side of the connector.

Is there a way to pull the female pins w/wire from that connector? I've tried softly, but don't want to mess it up. But it certainly acts as though one of the soldered wires might be about to give it up.

Any other solutions for a problem connector you guys have used? OEM connectors out there anywhere?

Wrrrrrrrr. She runs! And pretty well too. :brad
Any other solutions for a problem connector you guys have used? OEM connectors out there anywhere?

I had the same problem with the 4-pin connector, suspect most K-bikes have or will have the same problem. In my case the dealer let me cut out the female side of the connector from one of the salvage wiring harnesses he kept just for this purpose. No charge either !

Thanks. Beemer Boneyard had a partial main harness that will solve the female connector issue, and that seems to be where the trouble is. And I'll have a decent harness for spares in the future. In the meantime I've kludged up a solution for the short term that involved no wire cutting.

Took the bike for a longer ride (100 miles) this morning and she is fine. Fine. Very Fine!

That hose connects to an aluminum tube at the top of the tank, just to the rear of the filler opening. No clamps required. :thumb

i am going to install and aftermarket pump that may not have a connector on the pump for this hose

anybody have a suggestion what i should do in this case?

i am going to install and aftermarket pump that may not have a connector on the pump for this hose

anybody have a suggestion what i should do in this case?

It is not necessary to connect anything to that. When they changed to the smaller diameter pump that has the sock type pump filter instead of the cup style, they eliminated that hose.

The early K100 pumps with the cup filter did not have the hose either.

I am guessing that they had problems with the cup style filter screens trapping air under the pump inlet when the screens got a little dirty so they put that vent hose on to let trapped air out. (any better theories, or actual knowledge??)

It is not necessary to connect anything to that. When they changed to the smaller diameter pump that has the sock type pump filter instead of the cup style, they eliminated that hose.

The early K100 pumps with the cup filter did not have the hose either.

I am guessing that they had problems with the cup style filter screens trapping air under the pump inlet when the screens got a little dirty so they put that vent hose on to let trapped air out. (any better theories, or actual knowledge??)

from what i have seen in other threads you are probably correct

and thanks...now i dont have to go find that hose..now i have to wait...and wait to get my pump shipped from a guy on ebay...agonizing to say the least

Back