• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Air Filter

mojoman

I have a 2017 R 1200 GS. I had 5,000 kms. on it but did not ride it at all last year while waiting for back surgery. All is well now and I just turned 10,000 kms. That's 6,213 miles. The manual says that I need to change the oil and filter, which I will do, BUT THE AIR FILTER??? C'mon, really? How dirty can an air filter be when the bike has been ridden on highways only? I'll change the air filter but I think this is just a BMW cash grab. Can anyone tell me where I can get an after-market paper air filter for a 2017 R 1200 GS.

Last year I bought three oil filters for less than the price of one. I got the retailers address for this forum. They were Mahle filters and exactly the same that BMW charges over $30 for here in Canada.

Have a look at the filter and see if it looks bad. If it looks good, check it next year.
It’s good to have a look at the air cleaner and air-box area at least annually. This area is like the Hilton for mice ��
OM

I’ll move this to The Wethead forum section later.

The manual says that I need to change the oil and filter, which I will do, BUT THE AIR FILTER??? C'mon, really? How dirty can an air filter be when the bike has been ridden on highways only? I'll change the air filter but I think this is just a BMW cash grab. .

BMW recommends changing the air filter every 12,000 miles on the Wetheads.

Check pages 214 and 215 of the Riders Manual.
https://manuals.bmw-motorrad.com/manuals/BA-Extern/IN/BA-INTERNET-COM/PDF/R_0A51_RM_0717_01.pdf

Can anyone tell me where I can get an after-market paper air filter for a 2017 R 1200 GS.

Why do people post questions like this? The answer is always Amazon.com.

BTW, it’s pretty certain that for every automotive product in the the world, the dealer price for an air filter will be higher than for something from the aftermarket.

Isn’t it interesting that so many are so anxious to change fluids before their time, but somehow an air filter is different?

Why do people post questions like this? The answer is always Amazon.com.

BTW, it’s pretty certain that for every automotive product in the the world, the dealer price for an air filter will be higher than for something from the aftermarket.

Isn’t it interesting that so many are so anxious to change fluids before their time, but somehow an air filter is different?

The answer is not Amazon because I already looked there. And I am aware of the cost of things whether manufacturer or after market. Furthermore, if one does not have something productive to say then why say anything at all. Thanks for your non answer!

The answer is not Amazon because I already looked there. And I am aware of the cost of things whether manufacturer or after market. Furthermore, if one does not have something productive to say then why say anything at all. Thanks for your non answer!

Lighten up guys. Be nice to your fellow members.:love

If i’am going to the hassle of removing all the Tupperware to get to the air filter(thank you Bmw) it’s going to get replaced
Note to self: if it was clean I’ll extend next change by 6000 miles

Lighten up guys. Be nice to your fellow members.:love

Exactly...

I'm not as worried about the air filter price as I am about the spark plug price. Are those things full of GOLD?

I would love the oil filter link though...

I guess I need to get the crush washers at the dealer.

It isn't that I dislike the dealer, it is that they are an hour away on the freeway. I would rather this stuff just show up at my door sometimes. Just sometimes though...

Exactly...

I'm not as worried about the air filter price as I am about the spark plug price. Are those things full of GOLD?

I would love the oil filter link though...

I guess I need to get the crush washers at the dealer.

It isn't that I dislike the dealer, it is that they are an hour away on the freeway. I would rather this stuff just show up at my door sometimes. Just sometimes though...

Oil filters at http://www.rockauto.com/en/ Part Number OC 619

FYI: when I did the 600 oil change on my 15RT I bought the latest Bmw filter called for. To my surprise the filter on the bike from the factory was the older model# go figure. Since I had 1/2 dozen of the older filters in stock i’ll Be using them. Selling dealer Long Beach BMW, says use either one.

BUT THE AIR FILTER??? C'mon, really? How dirty can an air filter be when the bike has been ridden on highways only?

Unless you live in a dust bowl replacing the air filter at anything less than 18,000 miles is a waste of time and materials. I changed mine every 12K miles and each time I scratched my head about why I was doing this because the air filters will very clean. Why did I go ahead and replace them anyway? On a wethead RT it's a rather time consuming process so it was a case of what the hey might as well. I won't look at it again until 54,000 miles since I last put a new one in at 36,000m.

The K1300S has two air filters and BMW recommends changing every 24,000 miles.
It didn't take long to get at the filters so I blew them out at 12,000 and changed at 24,000 miles.

20150719_163600.jpg

20150719_164205.jpg

https://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/FilterXRef.html

Oil filter information.

Anyone ever hear of K&N Air Filters? That's what I'm going to put in after another 15k miles or so on the stock one. Then I'll probably sell the bike before I look at the air filter again.

Where do you put the gas cap while filling?

:thumb Same here. One of the first things I change on every car, truck and motorcycle I've owned. Will prob. outlast the vehicle.

Back