• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

From ohio to the arctic

easybiker

I hesitate to post this since the last time I connected with a rider over the net without a person to person meet things did not go well and I had to tell him to go his own way after only 3 days. So if you are interested I will have to meet you first. I live in NE Ohio so you should be from that area or NW PA.
I’m Looking for a ride partner or partners (max 4 bikes). Prefer old farts like myself. Will be staying in mom and pop motels (no camping except in emergency). This will be my 4th and most likely final ride north. In the past it has always been on a Harley, but this time on a BMW GSA. I have ridden most all the pavement in the north. It is now time to ride the gravel I have missed. Plan to be on the road 4 or 5 weeks give or take. Below is a general over view of the roads I intend to ride. Of course there is the wild life and points of interest (to many to list here). If you are interested I can go over the ride in more detail when we meet.
NWT--Water Fall HWY (paved) connects to the Mackenzie HWY to Ft. Simpson/ Laird HWY to Ft. Laird/ Dempster HWY to Inuvik and then on to Tuktoyaktuk/ (this section has just opened to the Arctic Ocean).
Yukon--Campbell HWY/Nahanni Range Road/Canol Road/Top of the World HWY from Dawson/Road to Mayo & Keno.
BC--Cassiar HWY(paved)/Telegraph Creek Road/Kettle Valley Rail Trail.
Alaska--Taylor HWY(Eagle & Chicken)/Dalton HWY “maybe” (Lots of truck traffic/lots of construction)/Steese HWY to Circle/Elliot HWY to Manley Hot Springs/Tanana Road (just opened 2017)/Denali HWY/Hatcher Pass Road/Edgerton HWY to McCarthy/Salmon Glacier Road.
I plan to leave late May 29, 2018. If you are interested please PM me So we can go over the details. Remember we have to meet person to person to be sure we will be compatible ride partners.

I hesitate to post this since the last time I connected with a rider over the net without a person to person meet things did not go well and I had to tell him to go his own way after only 3 days. So if you are interested I will have to meet you first. I live in NE Ohio so you should be from that area or NW PA.
I’m Looking for a ride partner or partners (max 4 bikes). Prefer old farts like myself. Will be staying in mom and pop motels (no camping except in emergency). This will be my 4th and most likely final ride north. In the past it has always been on a Harley, but this time on a BMW GSA. I have ridden most all the pavement in the north. It is now time to ride the gravel I have missed. Plan to be on the road 4 or 5 weeks give or take. Below is a general over view of the roads I intend to ride. Of course there is the wild life and points of interest (to many to list here). If you are interested I can go over the ride in more detail when we meet.
NWT--Water Fall HWY (paved) connects to the Mackenzie HWY to Ft. Simpson/ Laird HWY to Ft. Laird/ Dempster HWY to Inuvik and then on to Tuktoyaktuk/ (this section has just opened to the Arctic Ocean).
Yukon--Campbell HWY/Nahanni Range Road/Canol Road/Top of the World HWY from Dawson/Road to Mayo & Keno.
Alaska--Taylor HWY(Eagle & Chicken)/Dalton HWY “maybe” (Lots of truck traffic/lots of construction)/Steese HWY to Circle/Elliot HWY to Manley Hot Springs/Tanana Road (just opened 2017)/Denali HWY/Hatcher Pass Road/Edgerton HWY to McCarthy/Salmon Glacier Road.
I plan to leave late May 29, 2018. If you are interested please PM me So we can go over the details. Remember we have to meet person to person to be sure we will be compatible ride partners.

Lots of lookers, but no reply's.

Looks like a great ride. One I've always wanted to do.
If I had a GSA or equivalent, I'd certainly tag along.
Thats in my plan for summer 2019.

Joe

GSA ride

Lots of lookers, but no reply's.

I'd be interested but not this year. I've got 4 trips already planned on my RT's (2). I've looked at the GS's but I'm too short, so have held off. I started my biking career on a Husky 250 all off road and didn't start on the street until 2002 but I've tried to make up for lost time.

The BMW's are all too tall for me. The newest ones have lowered suspensions but I wouldn't throw for a new one. If I could find a similar dual sport that isn't too buzzy on pavement and was light enough and low enough so I could at least plant the balls of my feet, I'd do it in 2019, and consider myself lucky I was able to run with a guy that's done it 3 times before

georgeRun1.jpg

I'd be interested but not this year. I've got 4 trips already planned on my RT's (2). I've looked at the GS's but I'm too short, so have held off. I started my biking career on a Husky 250 all off road and didn't start on the street until 2002 but I've tried to make up for lost time.

The BMW's are all too tall for me. The newest ones have lowered suspensions but I wouldn't throw for a new one. If I could find a similar dual sport that isn't too buzzy on pavement and was light enough and low enough so I could at least plant the balls of my feet, I'd do it in 2019, and consider myself lucky I was able to run with a guy that's done it 3 times before

View attachment 65615

Not sure how tall you are, but with the low GS and and low seat it just may work for you. Maybe you need to find a dealer and try this combo?

Easybiker....Your ride to the great North sounds really good. I understand the issue with the GS bike height mentioned in the thread. I really liked the GS, but with my height 5'6" it was still to tall with the lowered setup. Just did not feel comfortable when doing stop signs, stop lights, etc. With the RT, I felt much more comfortable at these type of stops (still do not reach the ground flat footed with both feet, but easy slide over and can do one foot down very well) Your ride this year does not work well for me to tag along even on paved road parts of it. I would be interested in a 2019 trek to Alaska, especially with someone who has done it before. My starting point would be Michigan.

You could do it on an RT. Just have to have the proper tires and put paint protection on the fairings. I almost bought an RT for this year, but decided on the GSA. If you change your mind let me know and we can talk. Be safe.

First of all, thanks for your post on the Thanks Tuk thread.
Second, you would be welcome to join us but I'm leaving much earlier. I am leaving DC on April 30. By end May I'll be sitting by the Peel River Ferry waiting for it to open. We might cross paths on the way back down. Would be good to keep in touch. You're going to love the Dempster!!!

GS low suspension

Not sure how tall you are, but with the low GS and and low seat it just may work for you. Maybe you need to find a dealer and try this combo?

Yes, I understand the new GS low suspension might be low enough for me. Not the GSA unfortunately, but maybe the GS. Not in the cards this year but if you were doing it next year I'd probably go for it.

Have a great trip, end of May'll be here before you know it

Ride North

That is an ambitious adventure. I would love to join you but won't be retiring until the end of this year. If anyone would like to join me on a similar adventure in 2019 please respond. My wife is afraid of bears ha ha. I have a 2017 R1200GS and have a history of racing motocross and enduros in my past so gravel roads and trails don't challenge me too much. I live just north of you on the shore of Lake Ontario in Canada.

Arctic Ride North

Hey Easy

That time slot coincides with my plans to go North - I am currently shopping for a GS to make the trip - only glitch is I am on the Left Coast so I was planning to either go Hwy 5 to Vancouver then into the Great White North or thru Idaho and onward. I could possibly go through Alberta and up.
I do qualify in the Old Fart division of active troopers - no issues there. I currently ride a K1600GT and a K1200RS. I do agree a meeting would be important - personality wise - I tend not to sweat the small stuff - keep it light and a sense of humor helps me to stay loose. I am not a trained mechanic but am so inclined and keep my bikes well maintained. I love to travel and riding for me is the way to go....
If you think us too far apart - not to worry - if you want to talk let me know.

Regards,

Curt

Arctic Ride North

Hey Easy

That time slot coincides with my plans to go North - I am currently shopping for a GS to make the trip - only glitch is I am on the Left Coast so I was planning to either go Hwy 5 to Vancouver then into the Great White North or thru Idaho and onward. I could possibly go through Alberta and up.
I do qualify in the Old Fart division of active troopers - no issues there. I currently ride a K1600GT and a K1200RS. I do agree a meeting would be important - personality wise - I tend not to sweat the small stuff - keep it light and a sense of humor helps me to stay loose. I am not a trained mechanic but am so inclined and keep my bikes well maintained. I love to travel and riding for me is the way to go....
If you think us too far apart - not to worry - if you want to talk let me know.

Regards,

Curt

I may have a partner from western PA, but he will not know until it's closer to departure date because his father is getting up there in years and he wants to be sure he can be away that long. He plans to trailer his bike to western MT. and then have me meet him. I would have no problem trying to meet up with you in Alberta if the timing is right. Lets keep in touch. Send me a PM if you wish.

You're a little ahead of me, I plan to hit Whitehorse headed north around June 24. That and I will be camping almost exclusively. Have a great run.

edit: rolling out of Whitehorse June 28

Last edited:
North to alaska

When are you planning t o depart?
My plans are leave San Francisco June 18
On my recently acquired 1200 GSA
I plan to motel it.

Curt

From ohio to the artic

Did you go on that ride?

Did you go on that ride?

Yes I went on the ride, but totaled my GSA on the Liard Hwy NWT. Lots of rain and mud. The front wheel dove into a deep mud hole and the bike flipped twice and I was air born. My helmet and Helite air vest saved me. Limped the bike into Fairbanks (900 miles 4 days) and that is where it is today waiting for the insurance company to pick it up and put it on line for a salvage auction. With this said I never made it to TUK, but from the road reports I was getting it would have been a bitch getting to TUK at that time. Picking up new bike next week.

Ouch! I never made it to Tuk either, realized coolant was going into the engine in Dawson so cut my losses and shipped my bike back home. Gonna be an expensive rebuild for screwing up my water pump rebuild.

Back